Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
14 month old wakes up at 5:30 am

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 6:24 am
BH my baby has always been great at going to sleep and sleeping through the night. He goes to bed around 7:30 pm with no issues at all. He sleeps through the night and we usually take him out around 7:30 am. I don’t know exactly when he wakes up because he likes to rest in his bed for a while before actually getting out. He takes 2 naps a day 10-11:30 am and 3-4 pm. Since Monday, he’s been waking up at 5:30 am. What do I do? Is he ready for one nap a day? What time would that nap be?

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 6:39 am
We switched to one nap at around 11 months when they start waking up too early and it definitely helps. 14 months is a reasonable time for that

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 6:46 am
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
We switched to one nap at around 11 months when they start waking up too early and it definitely helps. 14 months is a reasonable time for that

What time would you start the nap?

amother
Snowdrop

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 7:02 am
amother OP wrote:
BH my baby has always been great at going to sleep and sleeping through the night. He goes to bed around 7:30 pm with no issues at all. He sleeps through the night and we usually take him out around 7:30 am. I don’t know exactly when he wakes up because he likes to rest in his bed for a while before actually getting out. He takes 2 naps a day 10-11:30 am and 3-4 pm. Since Monday, he’s been waking up at 5:30 am. What do I do? Is he ready for one nap a day? What time would that nap be?

Time to switch to one nap. My baby switched at around 13-14months because of daycare. But she was ready anyways I think. Most 14 month olds switch to one already. Like 12-2 pm nap type thing. This should fix early wake ups. If he may just becoming an early riser. We do lunch at 11:30. And then she usually naps around 12:25:12:30 to 2:30. You may need to move bedtime up earlier tho if he’s used to being up only from 4-7:30. I will take some trial and error. But ending nap at 4pm is too late at this age in my opinion.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 7:17 am
amother OP wrote:
What time would you start the nap?

I like 11:30- 1:30, but daycare does 12:45-3

amother
Caramel

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 7:26 am
My baby naps from 11:30-1:30

amother
Acacia

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 7:29 am
Yup. Time for 1 nap!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 7:35 am
Thank you everyone!! We’re going to try 1 nap today. I’m going to aim for 11:30 am lunch and then nap at 12 pm. I’ll let you know what happens!

amother
Snowdrop

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 8:29 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you everyone!! We’re going to try 1 nap today. I’m going to aim for 11:30 am lunch and then nap at 12 pm. I’ll let you know what happens!

I would also make the morning today more chill, so he can last until 12 pm. Like maybe don’t have him run around outside in the park or for too long today. Otherwise he will be zonked until nap time and won’t be able to stay awake. And then gradually over time he’ll be fine. Btw my 2 year old if we are in the car at like 10:30/11 on a Sunday morning- she’ll fall asleep in the car sometimes. I don’t go crazy. I know that her body needs the sleep and I just go along with her lead. Let’s say her car nap will be 10:30-12 then Wtvr so be it for a day. I then give her lunch and do early bedtime. Can’t go crazy either

amother
Caramel

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 8:31 am
amother OP wrote:

My 18 month old is exhausted and ready for nap at 11....
Each baby is different, yours might be fine till 12

amother
Snowdrop

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 8:44 am
amother Caramel wrote:
My 18 month old is exhausted and ready for nap at 11....
Each baby is different, yours might be fine till 12

I think it also depends on how much activity is being done. What time they wake up etc

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 7:30 am
Update from OP
I gave him one nap on Friday from 12-2 and he could barely make it to 7. He was a zombie and whining a ton. He still woke up early Shabbos morning around 5:30/5:45. I did 2 naps on Shabbos and he woke up at 5:30. I don’t know what to do with him. He also can’t talk yet (obviously) and does a ton of whining that drives me NUTS. Any advice on what I do now?

amother
Snowdrop

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 9:46 am
amother OP wrote:
Update from OP
I gave him one nap on Friday from 12-2 and he could barely make it to 7. He was a zombie and whining a ton. He still woke up early Shabbos morning around 5:30/5:45. I did 2 naps on Shabbos and he woke up at 5:30. I don’t know what to do with him. He also can’t talk yet (obviously) and does a ton of whining that drives me NUTS. Any advice on what I do now?

Changing the schedule can take a few days maybe a few weeks until you see change. For him to adjust etc also maybe do bedtime 6:30 instead of 7

amother
Mintcream

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 3:32 pm
I have heard from a few people that they woke up the baby an hour before the time they usually wake up just for a couple of minutes, this caused the child to wake up later after 2 or 3 days of doing this the child just woke up later without being woken up in there sleep.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics