Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Section 8, moving, medicaid, ebt, and DOE services
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 5:45 am
Does anyone know- if I move from NYC to a different part of NY state for a year because of section 8
-Do I need to reapply for medicaid/EBT, or just do an address change? Does EBT amount change?
-Does DOE related services from nyc doe transfer over, or a whole new IEP meeting is needed? This is for child that's going to be attending a regular private school in new location, but gets ot, pt, etc.
-One child has pendency with DOE and also goes to a therapy center for part of school day, paid for by medicaid. If we make the move, we want this child to continue in current school/program, and continue receiving therapy in nyc. DC can travel in with a parent that will still be working at old job. Is this allowed- both with DOE-since child is no longer residing in that county, and with medicaid for the therapy services? Or can this potentially cause problems with dc's services or with the DOE?

amother
Springgreen

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 8:19 am
What you plan on doing is fraud. This site prohibits discussion on illegal activities.

Wether you choose to do this or not is your prerogative. But you should look elsewhere for help. Or maybe start a new thread without indicating your motives.

Good luck.

cnc

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 8:21 am
amother Springgreen wrote:
What you plan on doing is fraud. This site prohibits discussion on illegal activities.

Wether you choose to do this or not is your prerogative. But you should look elsewhere for help. Or maybe start a new thread without indicating your motives.

Good luck.

Why is this fraud?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 8:25 am

Good luck.

She didn't ask if she can get away with it? She asks if she will lose benefits.
I think it depends on if it is through the city or state. If you stay in NY state but outside the city.... Why dont you call and ask? Say you are thinking of moving outside NYC , would you lose benefits ?

amother
DarkGreen

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 8:27 am

Good luck.

She was asking if it's a problem. This isn't a place to come to conclusions for her

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 8:42 am

Good luck.

Here we go… Amother, please, just don't start this..

She is legally accepting Sectiono 8 and moving where they demand.

You obviously do not know the laws and how you can just blatantly blather on your high horse is beyond me…

She is allowed to move back with her Section 8 after the year of established residency elsewhere.

In ANY case, OP was just asking a question regarding legally obtained services provided in nyc. That is all.

OP: your best bet is speaking to one of the places in the community that deal with these matters. There may be a way to put things on a temporary hold. Definitely worth asking…

Much hatzlacha

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 9:03 am

Good luck.

Why is this fraud? The section 8 office said that I can move out after 12 months and transfer back to nyc. I don't want to switch one child's schools for a year, because dc is in a special program. Another child has a mental health issue and doesn't may also need to stay in their current school. And for kids switching to local school there, I want to transfer ot, pt, speech, etc from doe. When I asked section 8 about DOE services, they did not know. I didn't think to ask them about the details of transferring medicaid and ebt, and I can technically call the medicaid office and waste half a day on hold. But while I'm asking the other questions over here, I may as well ask hear from the imamothers that have moved out of the city, within ny state. I really don't know who else I can ask. To all those saying to ask people familiar with this- can you provide a phone number?

prettyinpurple

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 9:09 am

Good luck.

How generous of you to look down from your high horse and judge someone else who’s story you don’t have an iota of knowledge of, all while hiding behind amother. A good rule of thumb when hiding online is to think before you type-would I say this to the person’s face. I don’t see any fraud in OP’s original post. A person can move to wherever they want for a year to obtain section eight and those vouchers transfer with them to wherever their heart desires. Your post has very strong judgmental undertones.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 9:12 am
I don’t know the answers to your questions but I’m in another city in NYS and getting services is hard because there’s a shortage of therapists here. So find out about that in the place you plan to move to.

amother
Stonewash

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 9:25 am

Good luck.
Why is it fraud ? If someone got a voucher for section 8 but cant find anything nearby and has to go far to find a landlord that accepts what makes that fraud ?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 9:38 am
amother Stonewash wrote:
Why is it fraud ? If someone got a voucher for section 8 but cant find anything nearby and has to go far to find a landlord that accepts what makes that fraud ?

I got a section 8 voucher in a different county in NY state. They do not allow moving the voucher to NYC before living there for 12 months. When we applied over there years ago, all these DOE/services questions would not have been relevant and it would have been way simpler to move than it is now. There are so many details that I need to figure out now before deciding if this move can be doable. And traveling daily is a big hassle, but its 1 year of stress that can help our family for a long time afterwards.

amother
Lightgray

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 9:39 am

Good luck.
🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡

Why don't you close out the thread and answer on a topic you know something about?

amother
Lightgray

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 9:40 am
The one thing I can answer is the DOE question. You would not be able to continue with the current school because the DOE would no longer fund it.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 9:41 am
I do think this would be a problem. Who is working with you on the pendency case? They would most likely be the ones able to answer this question best

amother
Stonewash

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 9:41 am
amother OP wrote:
I got a section 8 voucher in a different county in NY state. They do not allow moving the voucher to NYC before living there for 12 months. When we applied over there years ago, all these DOE/services questions would not have been relevant and it would have been way simpler to move than it is now. There are so many details that I need to figure out now before deciding if this move can be doable. And traveling daily is a big hassle, but its 1 year of stress that can help our family for a long time afterwards.
how long would the travel be ?

amother
Cinnamon

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 9:52 am
amother Lightgray wrote:
The one thing I can answer is the DOE question. You would not be able to continue with the current school because the DOE would no longer fund it.

I think you may be wrong with this. I run a special Ed agency (SETSS, OT, PT etc.) If the child still attends a school in NYC they are eligible to keep their services. We have students living in Union which is in the state of NJ and they are attending school in Brooklyn.
If the child attends a school in the 5 boroughs they will be able to transfer their services.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 9:56 am
amother Cinnamon wrote:
I think you may be wrong with this. I run a special Ed agency (SETSS, OT, PT etc.) If the child still attends a school in NYC they are eligible to keep their services. We have students living in Union which is in the state of NJ and they are attending school in Brooklyn.
If the child attends a school in the 5 boroughs they will be able to transfer their services.

Even if they don't reside in NYC? Because someone told me she knows someone that moved to Monsey and their daughter lost her services. But she didn't know the circumstances surrounding that.

amother
Foxglove

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 9:57 am
I’ve done this. Don’t know about any fraud I did. Everything was done legally. We got section 8 voucher in another county and moved out for a year.
Yes I needed to reapply for ebt wic and Medicaid . It took a day of sitting in that county’s offices with all my documents etc but we received all the above mentioned programs. I do not recall all details as it was almost ten years ago by now. But I think the amount we got on ebt was same or close to same as in nyc. Not significant enough for me to remember as you see.
Regarding doe I also reapplied for one of my kids who really needed the services and couldn’t stick outa year without it. It was done through the local public school and since dc was in a private school they sent me ot and speech therapists to my home after school hours. I had to sit and be the translator since dc was very young and didn’t understand English very well. But all I can say is we made a great big kiddush Hashem ! The therapists were so impressed of the way a Jewish home looks, is run etc…. Father and mother no screaming, homade supper daily, and many more nuisances that they used to mention to me that they noticed ,in awe….
I’ll encourage you to go for it. It’s only 12 months and it passes faster than you think,and then you can take it to wherever you want.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 9:57 am
amother Mustard wrote:
I do think this would be a problem. Who is working with you on the pendency case? They would most likely be the ones able to answer this question best

I guess. I need to reach out to the Ed lawyer, then. Thanks.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 9:59 am
amother Stonewash wrote:
how long would the travel be ?

About 2 hours Sad
But dc is obsessed with cars and highways, so I'm hoping it won't be too bad.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries