Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Frozen "Tenderloin"/Fillet: Kashering + cooking help

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 1:39 am
Shufersal (Israel) accidently delivered to me (with no charge) a huge amount of fancy beef I didn't order, and they don't seem willing to take it back even though I told them to! So its a gift!
I have never bought anything like this and have no idea what to do with it.

2 big frozen cuts, like a long roast, about 1.4 kg each, from Brazil. Labeled "kosher tenderloin" on pkg, and "fillet" on Shufersal site. NOT KASHERED.

I never had to kasher meat before. But we have a BBQ grill, so wondering if that would provide an easier way than salting? But its a big thick piece, so maybe not?

Looking for any kinds of advice you all have!

amother
DarkOrange

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 5:28 am
amother OP wrote:
Shufersal (Israel) accidently delivered to me (with no charge) a huge amount of fancy beef I didn't order, and they don't seem willing to take it back even though I told them to! So its a gift!
I have never bought anything like this and have no idea what to do with it.

2 big frozen cuts, like a long roast, about 1.4 kg each, from Brazil. Labeled "kosher tenderloin" on pkg, and "fillet" on Shufersal site. NOT KASHERED.

I never had to kasher meat before. But we have a BBQ grill, so wondering if that would provide an easier way than salting? But its a big thick piece, so maybe not?

Looking for any kinds of advice you all have!

Wow, didn’t know meat was still sold this way.

I could be wrong, but as far as I know, the broiling method only applies to liver, while meat must still be salted.
Do you have the right salt for Kashering?
Who would be able to show you the correct process for Kashering meat?

And there’s something about meat needing to be washed down every certain amount of hours, if it hasn’t been kashered yet..
I don’t see how that could be verified in a grocery store situation like this.
Sounds very complex to me, maybe others know better.

English3

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 6:19 am
I would ask a rav how to kasher it, perhaps he can refer you to a shochet. You can also call the store they usually know this stuff. You don't have to tell them that you are the one that received it for free.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 6:49 am
Kashering for beef is done with specific Kosher salt. It has a flaky course consistency and only some brands sell it.

You have to wash the meat; then soak it in water; then salt it to extract the blood, and then rinse it very well three times.

I wouldn't do it until I got specific instructions from a rav, as I wasn't taught how to and the process is specific in order to get the meat kosher. My grandmother knew how to do it, but didn't teach it to us since it wasn't relevant.

In addition, I would need to ask the rav if I could kasher and consider the beef kosher, if there was no kosher symbol on the meat, and it only said kosher not kashered. I'd want to know who the hashgacha was that was there when the animal was checked and slaughtered and when the pieces that are not kosher were removed from the animal.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 7:44 am
A bbq grill can’t be used to kasher meat, that’s the method for liver only. You need to go through a specific process of salting and rinsing. If you don’t get it right you’re literally feeding your family treif.
Meat has to be salted right after shechita. There’s some leeway if you can’t get to it right away where you keep rinsing it until you start the salting process. Your meat sat around packaged and not kosher for days. I don’t know how that’s fixable. You might have to throw it out.
Call your rav and the mashgiach at the supermarket. I’d stop buying any meat or poultry in a supermarket that sells something like this unless both the mashgiach and my rav said there was a way to make this okay. If you find out there’s no mashgiach to speak to in the place that sold you the meat, you have your answer right there.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 7:58 am
I keep thinking that they may not want to take it back because they don't want to admit it came from them.

My gut is telling me this meat can't be kashered to kosher.

BadTichelDay

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 8:02 am
amother Ultramarine wrote:
[...] I’d stop buying any meat or poultry in a supermarket that sells something like this unless both the mashgiach and my rav said there was a way to make this okay. If you find out there’s no mashgiach to speak to in the place that sold you the meat, you have your answer right there.

Normal frozen chicken or beef in Israel are kashered and it's written on the package. It's only expensive big chunks imported from South America that come not kashered. But it's always written on the package. I have seen this in various different supermarket chains in Israel, including Rami Levy if I remember rightly. It's not just Shufersal. No need to stop buying there. One just needs to pay attention and read the package when buying imported frozen beef. (OP of course didn't choose to buy it).

Edited to add, there are rabbanim and shitot which allow kashering frozen meat, immediately after thawing. The freezing is supposed to have "stopped the clock".
We don't do this, but evidently there are people who do, else kosher supermarkets wouldn't stock it.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 8:18 am
Its not from the meat counter. All the meat packed in store is kashered (except organs obv)

Rather its shrink-wrapped frozen from Brazil, like the way frozen fish is sold.
Nehemia Lachovitz company

https://I.imgur.com/8amAMnJ.jpg

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 8:20 am
Looks like only the first photo displays, but you can click link to see 2nd phto

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 8:21 am
BadTichelDay wrote:
It's only expensive big chunks imported from South America that come not kashered. But it's always written on the package. I have seen this in various different supermarket chains in Israel, including Rami Levy if I remember rightly. It's not just Shufersal.

Yes, it is precisely this. From Shufersal.

Kosher certified, not kashered. It seems clear to me from the labeling that halacha was followed to freeze it in time that kashering could be done after purchase

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 8:36 am
Keep it frozen until you reach a rav for further instruction.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen