Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Hoarseness/laryngoscopy

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 4:24 pm
9 year old DS has a bit of a hoarse voice and the school speech therapist has brought it up with me several times saying I should take him to get checked by an ENT. I made an appointment at an ENT/voice clinic, but they said they will be doing a laryngoscopy - a scope that goes through the nose and throat. That sounds terribly invasive, and according to what I'm reading online - even if they do find nodules, it needs to be treated with speech therapy. So why put DS through such an invasive procedure? Has anyone dealt with this and can tell me a bit more about what I need to know here and if I should follow through with this or just let it be?

Librarian

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 7:25 pm
It's uncomfortable but not a big deal, really. Sometimes the polyp needs to be removed so the test really needs to be done.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 7:29 pm
It’s really not a big deal, it’s a 5 minute out patient procedure that is slightly unpleasant but nothing terrible.

imasinger

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 7:30 pm
Agree. I had it done last year, and one of my kids had it done as a baby, it's not a big deal.

STovah

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 8:45 pm
I had it done a few times and it wasn’t much of anything. I don’t even think it took five minutes.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 9:09 pm
Not to hijack just went through something similar and was recommended voice therapy, does anyone have experience with a competent therapist in Lakewood ?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 9:15 pm
Thanks so much for all the reassurance! For those that had this with a child, what were the findings and what was the treatment?

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 9:16 pm
My nephew had it done and had several polyps removed.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 9:18 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks so much for all the reassurance! For those that had this with a child, what were the findings and what was the treatment?

I had this done with one of my kids for the same thing. Baruch Hashem they didn’t find anything physical. The ENT said that he wasn’t using his voice properly, and he should go for some therapy sessions. In the meantime I was very busy with my baby and didn’t follow up, but when we went back, the ENT said he saw a very big improvement. It’s gotten worse over the summer again, but I think that’s just because of camp.

amother
Peony

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 9:25 pm
My son had it to look at his adenoids, he wasn't thrilled about it but it went fine

I've also had it myself for voice issues and it was not a big deal

It's best if you can go to a pediatric ent because they are very experienced at doing it on kids

It's important to get a diagnosis because speech therapists are not supposed to treat voice problems until they have a diagnosis and clearance from an ent (I'm a speech therapist). some conditions can be helped with therapy, but some need surgery and therapy can possibly make it worse

amother
Peony

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 9:25 pm
My son had it to look at his adenoids, he wasn't thrilled about it but it went fine

I've also had it myself for voice issues and it was not a big deal

It's best if you can go to a pediatric ent because they are very experienced at doing it on kids

It's important to get a diagnosis because speech therapists are not supposed to treat voice problems until they have a diagnosis and clearance from an ent (I'm a speech therapist). some conditions can be helped with therapy, but some need surgery and therapy can possibly make it worse

bnm

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 9:34 pm
Speech therapists are not allowed to treat it without medical clearance from the dr.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics