Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Is it a fact that you don't NEED carbs?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 9:32 am
A previous poster said that you don't need carbs, you only want carbs.
Is that a fact? Or just an opinion?
I was under the assumption that carbs are a necessary element in a healthy person's diet.

I also cannot lose weight. I have tried going carb free but it makes me feel lightheaded and out of sorts.
What about healthy carbs, such as whole grain?

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 9:36 am
Everyone's different. Some people need carbs and some people need to not have carbs.

If you cant lose weight, it's worth trying keto properly. You need to take electrolytes while your body adjusts, and wait a few weeks to see if your body is adjusting well.

Nearly everyone will feel some dizziness while the body changes over to ketosis.

amother
Crocus

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 9:41 am
Completely not a fact

It’s also a myth that you can definitely change your body size and if you’re not losing weight you’re not working hard enough. Many people are just naturally in a larger body.

amother
Lavender

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 10:00 am
amother OP wrote:
A previous poster said that you don't need carbs, ?

That was me Smile I was answering a question regarding needed bread - I should have said "you don't need simple carbs"
Your cells actually need sugar (your body breaks carbs into sugar) to survive. Very low blood sugar/hypoglycemia is a medical emergency. You can get all the sugar your body needs from the complex carbs found in vegetables and low glycemic index fruits. You dont need simple carbs at all. Simple carbs and sugars cause a burst of energy and then a crash that triggers food cravings in many people. That is why many people find that cutting out simple carbs (certain fruits and even veggies, grains) makes it easier to stop overeating and they will naturally lose weight. The body takes a longer time to break down complex carbs, giving you the all sugar your cells need in an extend release manner that gives you energy without a crash and without triggering cravings (I cut out all simple carbs 18 years ago and have been maintaining a 90 lb weight loss. My body's carb needs are met through 1 fruit per day and lots of low glycemic index veggies)

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 10:22 am
amother Lavender wrote:
That was me Smile I was answering a question regarding needed bread - I should have said "you don't need simple carbs"
Your cells actually need sugar (your body breaks carbs into sugar) to survive. Very low blood sugar/hypoglycemia is a medical emergency. You can get all the sugar your body needs from the complex carbs found in vegetables and low glycemic index fruits. You dont need simple carbs at all. Simple carbs and sugars cause a burst of energy and then a crash that triggers food cravings in many people. That is why many people find that cutting out simple carbs (certain fruits and even veggies, grains) makes it easier to stop overeating and they will naturally lose weight. The body takes a longer time to break down complex carbs, giving you the all sugar your cells need in an extend release manner that gives you energy without a crash and without triggering cravings (I cut out all simple carbs 18 years ago and have been maintaining a 90 lb weight loss. My body's carb needs are met through 1 fruit per day and lots of low glycemic index veggies)

That's sounds very hard, so kol hakavod.
Do you follow a specific diet plan?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 10:28 am
A healthy diet includes carbs, fats and proteins. All three provide things your body needs. It’s hard to get enough fiber in your diet if you completely eliminate carbs. What you need to learn is how to choose the healthiest options, both in quantity and quality, to get you all three and make you feel satisfied. People will tell you protein and fat make you feel full but that doesn’t work for everyone. Eliminating carbs completely puts your body into ketosis, that’s why those are called keto diets. They make you lose weight but it’s not a great way to do so. Learn about what carbs are good for you and which you need to avoid. Sugars like regular table sugar, brown sugar, honey, maple syrup are simple carbs. Your body doesn’t need any of those. You can eliminate them from your diet, feel great and still give your body all the benefits of the B vitamins and other nutrients found in better carb containing choices like oatmeal, barley, apples, grapes and peas, just to mention a few of many out there.

amother
Mimosa

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 10:37 am
Depends on your individual biology and what you have going on at the moment.

I think ideally people should be able to switch easily from fat burning for fuel to glucose burning. But most of us do better with one or another.

People live on carnivore and keto, so yes it's possible. Doesn't mean it's best for everyone.

Certainly no one needs processed carbs. Most of us would do better with less grains too imo.

ftm1234

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 11:42 am
It’s absolutely NOT true.

I couldn’t get pregnant for a long time because I didn’t eat enough healthy carbs and fats.

Don’t let anyone fool you into thinking that your body has no need for carbs.

(Of course carbs doesn’t mean ice cream and cookies…)

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 12:12 pm
The body needs carbs. Specifically your brain needs glucose. Now fat and protein can be converted into glucose but then the body goes into ketosis and that can cause some side effects. Eat healthy carbs

flowerpower

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 12:13 pm
Your body needs carbs! It can come in many forms of healthy dishes like brown rice, sweet potato, spelt crackers etc

amother
Lavender

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 2:31 pm
amother OP wrote:
That's sounds very hard, so kol hakavod.
Do you follow a specific diet plan?

I do greysheet, a version of oa. it's a super rigid plan that was hard at the beginning but is easy now that I have zero cravings. I.also love the normal body that I have now.and no food in the world is worth going back to what I was

amother
Yarrow

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 2:48 pm
Healthy bodies need carbs.

Higher weight does not mean lower health and lower weight definitely does not mean healthier across the board.

Putting your body in a state of ketosis is not healthy. The diet was designed to specifically combat certain illnesses and was never intended as a healthy diet for the general public

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 2:58 pm
I don't know anything l, but my daughter who is seeing a nutritionist for not getting proper periods has to eat a protein, fat, and carb with every meal (and is not allowed to skip meals).

So sounds like carbs are necessary.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 4:41 pm
The Specific Carbohydrate Diet used for Crohn's dramatically limits the variety of carbs but doesn't eliminate them.

amother
Mimosa

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 4:45 pm
amother Yarrow wrote:
Healthy bodies need carbs.

Higher weight does not mean lower health and lower weight definitely does not mean healthier across the board.

Putting your body in a state of ketosis is not healthy. The diet was designed to specifically combat certain illnesses and was never intended as a healthy diet for the general public
I'm being a devils advocate now, but if a ketogenic diet can combat certain diseases, wouldn't it stand to reason that it can also prevent those diseases? And if a diet prevents the development of disease, isn't that by definition a healthy diet?

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 4:47 pm
Lots of inaccurate info on this thread. You should really speak to a nutritionist about this.

In sum, no your body does not NEED carbs. It can get all of the essential amino acids necessary for cellular function exclusively from other sources.

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 4:56 pm
amother Royalblue wrote:
Lots of inaccurate info on this thread. You should really speak to a nutritionist about this.

In sum, no your body does not NEED carbs. It can get all of the essential amino acids necessary for cellular function exclusively from other sources.

You're wrong. And amino acids are protein components, not carb.

amother
Mimosa

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 4:56 pm
amother Royalblue wrote:

Is amino acids all your body needs?

#BestBubby

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 5:01 pm
I would say low carb, not no carb.

amother
Leaf

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 6:48 pm
amother Cyan wrote:
You're wrong. And amino acids are protein components, not carb.

Carbohydrates do have amino acids, but they are not complete . But paired properly, like rice and beans, you can get complete proteins from the amino acids.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise