Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Help me learn to use my instapot

LO

Post Sun, Aug 13 2023, 6:45 pm
Hi all! I am going back to work soon after spending the last few years in graduate school and am really nervous about getting supper ready every day. I got an instapot and I would love to have some real-life recipes as well as suggestions for how to utilize it better. Any and all suggestions are welcome!

P.S. The instapot is fleishig. Smile

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Aug 13 2023, 7:06 pm
I love my instant pot for chicken and meat.

For chicken, I use legs or thighs, add your favorite sauce/seasoning making sure to add a bit of liquid so the food doesn't burn, and set it on pressure cook. I usually do about 30 mins so that it falls off the bone, but it takes about 15 minutes to be fully cooked.

Meat is the same idea. Amazing for stew. The meat literally melts in your mouth. I set it on pressure cook for 1-1.5 hours.

Works really well for any kind of soup too. Usually takes about 20 mins.

I've heard it works really well for rice, but it never came of good for me.

ETA: The most challenging part for me was figuring out how long to cook everything for, but there's tons of information online.

LO

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 6:31 am
Thank you, keep them coming please! Would especially love one-pot recipes, with main and side together!

WhatFor

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 7:08 am
Op, there's a Facebook group called Instant Pot Community. You can search in that group for one pot recipes and you'll get tons. Obviously not all kosher, but many are very obviously adaptable. There's also a kosher instant pot Facebook group but I don't think it's very active. I actually just use Google when I want to cook a particular recipe in my instant pot because there's so so much out there.

LO

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 2:14 pm
Thanks, I will do that. I also have some questions:

1. I know you can use frozen chicken, but the package of chicken won't fit into the pot right out of the freezer. Do you freeze the pieces of chicken stacked or packaged in some other way so that you can put them straight into the instapot?

2. I see a lot of the recipes tell you to release the pressure when the recipe is done. What if you are not home? I thought one of the main attractions of the instapot was that you set it and leave it....Will I overcook everything if I don't do this step?

3. Can you please share how to set things up so that you put up supper before leaving for work and it stays warm until you come home? I feel like that's a long time if it only takes half an hour or so to cook....

Basically, just trying to understand how this can help with a busy lifestyle....Thanks in advance!

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 5:13 pm
LO wrote:
Thanks, I will do that. I also have some questions:

1. I know you can use frozen chicken, but the package of chicken won't fit into the pot right out of the freezer. Do you freeze the pieces of chicken stacked or packaged in some other way so that you can put them straight into the instapot?

2. I see a lot of the recipes tell you to release the pressure when the recipe is done. What if you are not home? I thought one of the main attractions of the instapot was that you set it and leave it....Will I overcook everything if I don't do this step?

3. Can you please share how to set things up so that you put up supper before leaving for work and it stays warm until you come home? I feel like that's a long time if it only takes half an hour or so to cook....

Basically, just trying to understand how this can help with a busy lifestyle....Thanks in advance!

1. I have this problem as well! I usually run some warm water over the frozen chicken until you can break it apart.

2. Nothing will happen. Mine defaults to the keep warm setting once it's finished, and this is called a natural release. It will release the pressure but takes a bit longer. However, not a good idea to keep food on keep warm for too long (an hour or more) since it can spoil.

3. Don't know what model you have, but mine has a delay start option. If your food takes 30 mins to cook, set it to however many hours you'll be away minus 30 mins, so it will be ready right when you get home. I know there is a way to use the IP as a slow cooker, but I've never tried it.

amother
Stonewash

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 6:16 pm
so soup is not a problem that is has a slow release it will not spoil... but for vegetables for a side dish, you should cook for 20 minutes and right away release it if not it gets spoiled and very mushy the same is with chicken and meat the whole idea of natural release means that it's still cooking but it doesn't burn your food

amother
Opal

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 6:59 pm
amother Stonewash wrote:
so soup is not a problem that is has a slow release it will not spoil... but for vegetables for a side dish, you should cook for 20 minutes and right away release it if not it gets spoiled and very mushy the same is with chicken and meat the whole idea of natural release means that it's still cooking but it doesn't burn your food

Food will not spoil from using slow release.

Slow release is actually better for meat as quick release can dry it out.

amother
Stonewash

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 7:06 pm
It won't spoil but it gets very very soft
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics