Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Pesach Kitchen-Yay or Nay

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 6:35 am
I am redoing a house in Boro Park and need advice. We are doing the dining room, kitchen, playroom, on the first floor and bedrooms on the second floor.

The house has a basement which we are not redoing for the time being.

As space is at a premium I am deciding if putting in a Pesach kitchen on the main floor is worth it. We can put it in a closet in the playroom but it will use precious space.

Or we can install just a sink and oven in the unfinished basement and make the best of it for 2 weeks a year. (I saw someone put a freestanding storage closet, slop sink, oven, and folding table, in their basement and it worked perfectly.)

For reference, I grew up with a Pesach kitchen and currently have one.

I cant decide if the Pesach kitchen on the main floor is overrated or I am making a mistake by not putting it in now.

amother
Mulberry

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 6:53 am
Basement. For 52 weeks a year your space on the main floor won't be compromised!

miami85

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 6:54 am
I have something in my house that we call "the pre-pesach kitchen" meaning we go down to the basement when the kitchen is kashered and we can eat chometz and prepare food down there before pesach. I wouldn't want to make food down there and schlep it up to the kitchen.

mompower

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 7:27 am
I vote basement.

I hate giving up prime real estate for something that only gets used 2 weeks in the year. In Boro park it’s considered super prime real estate!

I always picture my giant Pesach order arrive. It’s a hundred boxes! Will u wanna put it in your play room or rather your basement?

Also, in the basement u can start cooking and preping earlier without bothering a soul.

And good luck with the renovation. It’s so fun and so stressful

amother
Cognac

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 7:30 am
Could you try the basement setup for this first Pesach; and if you find it difficult to work with, then convert the playroom closet to a real Pesach kitchen for the year following? You could incorporate the stove/storage closet/fridge from the basement into the “real” Pesach kitchen, to get further use from them.

BSD1

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 7:37 am
Basement. Hands down.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 7:42 am
Is your current Pesach kitchen on the same floor as the regular kitchen?
Do you cook lots in advance before Pesach or not?
Do you see your playroom to be used as a playroom for years and years to come or not?

s c

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 8:31 am
I grew up with a huge pesach kitchen in the basement and it was amazing for cooking before but as my parents got older and we got married and came back with little kids, going up and down stairs all yomtov was way too much. I myself have a very small pesach kitchen off my kitchen which I use to cook and store my dishes but use my main kitchen surfaces and sinks on pesach which I find easier. Think what stage of life you're at and if you go with the basement option be prepared to move upstairs to your main kitchen on pesach itself. Either way your basement will be amazing for storage and extra freezer space.

amother
Magnolia

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 8:40 am
Basement. Would never ever want it on my main floor and don't get why anyone does. I love being able to go down and bake before pesach and before my house is ttly cleaned and not worry about chometz being there. It's great.

I know ppl who have it on the main floor but I would never want it there.

takeiteasy

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 8:41 am
I would leave it in the basement.
If it is easier you can kasher upstairs on pesach so you dont have to run up and down
You can always put in the plumbing in a closet if you later want to have the pesach kitchen upstairs so you will have have to break any walls later.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 8:50 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Is your current Pesach kitchen on the same floor as the regular kitchen?
Do you cook lots in advance before Pesach or not?
Do you see your playroom to be used as a playroom for years and years to come or not?

Thank you for all replies

My current Pesach Kitchen is on the main floor and its very useful. I begin to cook for Pesach 1 week in advance and it works for my family.

I am in my high 30's (still having babies) so this can work for the next 20 years. I can see shlepping food up and down to be a pain when I am 50 and have no teenagers to help out.

I want to avoid kashering and lining the kitchen, so a Pre Pesach kitchen doesnt solve my problem.

zaq

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 10:40 am
Not on the main floor. That real estate is too valuable to waste on something that will be used two weeks, tops, out of the year.

amother
RosePink

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 10:55 am
I’m having a similar issue now. I want the Pesach kitchen in the basement and have a mudroom instead on the main floor.

My husband disagrees and wants the Pesach kitchen on the main floor and no mudroom. Only a small mud closet.

I need help convincing him!

happy7

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 11:21 am
Main floor space is so valuable. More family space. Put the kitchen in the basement
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen