Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Do you put your baby's full name on birth certificate?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 2:03 pm

I would put just one the name were calling him.

The clerk said that If we don't put both names he will never be recognized ever with that name.

Why do I or my son need to bother with both names when dealing with legal stuff?

What do you do?

addicted2techgirl

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 2:06 pm
We choose the name they will be called with unless it has a CH sound.

amother
Poppy

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 2:06 pm
they dont understand jewish life. They'll be recognized by their Hebrew name for jewish stuff, and secular name for medical, legal, college etc.

I put my oldest Childs full name and its a pain.
other children just the one name that is easy to pronounce.

amother
Blushpink

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 2:07 pm
no need for two names, it just makes it harder for later paperwork, IDs n whatnot.

amother
Blush

All my kids are called by double names. I just put the first one on. It works and it’s way easier.

amother
PlumPink

I put full English name. First name middle name last name

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 2:10 pm
Thanks for your responses. I'll put his second name on it.

Its my first kid with 2 names so I wasn't sure what ppl do.

Now were calling him by the second name, but he might want to add the first name when he gets older or in Yeshiva as boys tend to do.

hodeez

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 2:14 pm
My son has 3 names, they're all on there

gootlfriends

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 2:17 pm
We put one, the easier to say name

amother
Lotus

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 2:20 pm
I put one of the two, and regretted it when we ended up calling him by the other name.

amother
Apple

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 2:21 pm
We put the full name but honestly, what difference does it make?

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 2:29 pm
I put just one. It’s simpler

amother
Raspberry

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 3:37 pm
I put a completely different secular sounding name on it.

married1234

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 4:02 pm
I have both my names on there and it’s a huge pain. All my other siblings with 2 names only have one name on it (guess my parents learnt from their mistakes)
Some of my documents have both and some only have one, type of document dependant and it’s hard to keep track of what’s what
So if you can, put just one name. So much simpler in the long run

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 4:07 pm
I put one name (the one we call that child). So for my son it's his second name and for my daughter it's the first name

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 4:19 pm
I put their full name. By me, my parents only put the name they were calling me by even though I have three names. It bothers me because I'm generation to come the only way they will know my name is by public record and that is the only name that is legal.

amother
Clover

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 5:06 pm
Yes, of course. Then again, they each have only a first name, middle name and surname, so they all fit on the form. And they're all known by the name on their birth certificate. I see no point to the schizophrenic practice of giving someone an "official" name that will never be used.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 5:32 pm
amother OP wrote:

I would put just one the name were calling him.

The clerk said that If we don't put both names he will never be recognized ever with that name.

Why do I or my son need to bother with both names when dealing with legal stuff?

What do you do?

We have two kids with middle names, only the first one is on their birth certificate, and that is the name they go by.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 5:36 pm
amother Ruby wrote:
I put their full name. By me, my parents only put the name they were calling me by even though I have three names. It bothers me because I'm generation to come the only way they will know my name is by public record and that is the only name that is legal.

Why will they not know your full name? My grandparents went by their English names, but everyone named after them uses the Hebrew. The same with my father- he went by an English name, but I used his Hebrew name when naming after him, as did my niece. No one is going to use his English name.

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 5:41 pm
amother Clover wrote:
Yes, of course. Then again, they each have only a first name, middle name and surname, so they all fit on the form. And they're all known by the name on their birth certificate. I see no point to the schizophrenic practice of giving someone an "official" name that will never be used.

Schizophrenic? Scratching Head

And all of kids have an English name that has nothing much to do with their Hebrew name . That’s what’s on the birth certificate. I have the same thing and my “official “ name is used all the time . At this point in my life , probably more than my Jewish one .
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names