Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Info on new students
Previous  1  2

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 12:59 pm
I used to think that information should not be shared and that kids should have a fresh start. I felt uncomfortable with information I got about some of my students thinking it would affect my perception of them. Then one year I taught in a much larger setting and I couldn’t keep track of any of the students’ histories anyway. That was my worst year of teaching, and a part of that was because I was unprepared to meet the needs of the students. Now, I learn about my students, and while I don’t keep track of everything, bits of information I get are extremely helpful when I go back and review IEPs and notes. Sometimes, the kids who don’t have IEPs or health plans actually fly under the radar. I had one student, so bright and sweet and capable. It took me a few weeks to piece together how many executive functioning challenges she had, and even longer to find strategies to help her. It turns out she had these difficulties in every grade, and if there had been some more communication, we would have avoided the whole situation and she would have been better positioned for months more of the school year.

I truly find that information I receive, even negative, never makes me look down on a student and helps so much.

Also, when parents are open and honest about their child’s learning needs, things go more smoothly (and frequently, the parent’s have a more negative view of the their child’s difficulties than I ever see in class).

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 1:08 pm
amother Peru wrote:
Or maybe because they assume their child will be given a fresh chance.

If you’re talking about the child having said something chutzpadik once or twice, or if they didn’t do their homework often, etc.
We’re talking about different issues.

amother
Brass

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 3:45 pm
My sons' cheider has this policy and I really find that it depends what type of issues. Where there are real issues, not just opinions, it's important to take them into account. If the school would have allowed me to share my son's reading issues with his new teacher, he wouldn't have been put in the embarrassing position of having to explain that he didn't want to be the chazzan on rosh chodesh because he couldn't read the davening.

I think you have to differentiate between issues that exist and need special provision and issues like not getting on with a specific teacher.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 9:11 am
Family info - divorce, loss, etc, - important to know.
Behavioral- I think it depends. Diagnosis? Maybe. Adhd, on the spectrum... So teacher is aware. Behavior problems? No, give kid a fresh start. Learning disabilities - my school doesn't usually tell and I am fine with that..some kids get p3 and don't really need it . Usually within the first test or two you can tell the kids who need it. However, someone who majorly delayed - please tell me!! I once asked a very simple question of a girl and she didn't know the answer. I am afraid I may have embarrassed her. And when I mentioned to principal - turns out she is way below grade level, she basically just takes a seat in class... (Yes, it can be debated if the school is doing her a favor keeping her if she isn't learning, but that's another story)... So... I think major learning issues a teacher should know.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 9:28 am
Actually thanks for bumping this up. School has started, and I have my answer. (And I very much disagree with what you said about diagnoses- if the teacher doesn’t know it can kill the child’s year and self esteem. I know not to call on them to read without advance warning, to specify what goes where on a page, to know to look out for them, to make accommodations…why should they be nervous for no reason?)

Anyway. As always, with things in life, it depends. I’m very happy to have been told about certain social dynamics in advance, because I am very very watchful (more than I need to be) at recess, and I would love to prevent anything from happening again this year. It is also good to know who not to sit a child next to, as I’ve already had certain situations happen that probably could’ve been avoided.
Certain family information was also necessary. I phrase things differently.
That being said, I did get more information then a I wanted to about certain students.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 9:40 am
I had a class two years with students who struggled for the first few months until I figured out how to reach them.

Imagine my disappointment when their next teacher refused to ask me anything and ended up having a terrible year. I don't really care about her year, but I'm upset and even angry for those students who could have had a chance if only I had been allowed to tell her that this student does well with incentives and that student needs to be given a ton of positive attention before you ever reprimand her and that the next student is understimulated and will be an angel if you allow her to read when she's bored and that these other 3 kids are wonderful on their own, but if you seat them together they will get silly.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics