Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Kollel wives: How much is your husband's stipend?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 1:25 am
How much does your husband get from his kollel? And where do you live?
Do you get any other help from the community because your husband is in kollel? If so how much?

I will start, DH when he was in kollel got 900 NIS from the kollel and once a year they had hat sales, 50 NIS for a hat (the hats run at around 1000 NIS usually so this is a big savings).

I don't think we got any other benefits though.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 2:01 am
My husband's kollel supposedly gives between 500 and 700 monthly, we just don't get it in a timely manner
Aside for some coupons before pesach we don't get other benefits.

amother
Mulberry

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 2:24 am
$400 a month nyc

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 2:31 am
We got about 2500 nis a month in Har Nof and around 2000 nis a month in Beitar from what I remember.

amother
Heather

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 4:16 am
my husbands kollel pays abt 750 dollars a month but he also goes to a preshachris kollel every morning for 30 min, and an erev Shabbos kollel and Shabbos morning kollel and between all that we get abt 1000 each month bH

amother
Currant

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 4:20 am
About $1200 monthly I think.

amother
Forsythia

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 5:29 am
A private chabura within the Mir. He gets datot from the Mir plus 3000 shekel per month privately for morning plus afternoon - to get the full amount he has to write chaburos twice a month, give chabura every week and be five minutes early to seder. Another 1000 shekel per month evening kollel, 400 for Friday and Shabbos. His schedule is grueling. He leaves the house at 8:30am and gets home at 10:45pm.

They provide a full 3 meals per day. There are yomtov bonuses and an arrangement with some stores for a discount on men's clothing. From time to time there is a chaluka eg. coats for kids, blankets but we never know if and when so often I've already bought.

Overall it's about 5000 shekel per month. It's also very difficult to get into and to keep the requirements 100%.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 5:51 am
amother Forsythia wrote:
A private chabura within the Mir. He gets datot from the Mir plus 3000 shekel per month privately for morning plus afternoon - to get the full amount he has to write chaburos twice a month, give chabura every week and be five minutes early to seder. Another 1000 shekel per month evening kollel, 400 for Friday and Shabbos. His schedule is grueling. He leaves the house at 8:30am and gets home at 10:45pm.

They provide a full 3 meals per day. There are yomtov bonuses and an arrangement with some stores for a discount on men's clothing. From time to time there is a chaluka eg. coats for kids, blankets but we never know if and when so often I've already bought.

Overall it's about 5000 shekel per month. It's also very difficult to get into and to keep the requirements 100%.

Wow, thats a lot, no? Or rather, not the norm.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 5:52 am
My husband was in kollel almost 20 years ago and he got 1000 shekels then.

amother
Mayflower

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 6:00 am
1500 shekel a month, including the stipend from the government.

Bh we are zoche to do this for 15 years. It is not easy but it is worth it

amother
Mulberry

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 8:06 am
amother Heather wrote:
my husbands kollel pays abt 750 dollars a month but he also goes to a preshachris kollel every morning for 30 min, and an erev Shabbos kollel and Shabbos morning kollel and between all that we get abt 1000 each month bH

Where are you located?

amother
Bergamot

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 8:29 am
Almost 20 years ago, we got $600. They raised every couple years. After 18 yrs bh, he went to work. I think he would've gotten around $1000-1200. His first job pretty much paid that.... Nowadays the kollel wives at that yeshiva get gift certificates for shoes and clothes around holiday time.
I am so grateful my husband was able to learn as long as we were able to.
These are in NY,.for reference.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 8:53 am
Zero BMG, once he is there for 3 years he will get 1K a month IYH

amother
Chicory

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 8:55 am
How much do OOT Kollel pay. One where you learn during the day and work, give shiurim, etc, with the community in the evenings and on Shabbos.

amother
Yarrow

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 8:57 am
amother Chicory wrote:
How much do OOT Kollel pay. One where you learn during the day and work, give shiurim, etc, with the community in the evenings and on Shabbos.

We got $50k. Hired as a couple. Recent.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 8:58 am
3 kids check depends on how many kids. 1500 a month NYC. Shoes gift cards twice a yr and money for clothing for each kid twice a year. Money for husband clothes and me, as well as bonus for pesach and succos and summer. Morning kollel was paying 800 per month so in total husband was bringing in a lot. We left kollel bh

amother
Mimosa

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 9:19 am
$1200 monthly
Then dh is in an early morning kollel at 6:15am which he gets $400
Then he tutors at night for additional income.
His schedule is grueling. He has longer hours than bmg for first and second Seder.
He’s home for less than an hr in the morn and just one hour in the afternoon. And half hour for supper.
It’s hard and I work lots of hours at a tough job too.
Bh it still working for us…
This is Lakewood.

amother
Catmint

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 9:44 am
$900 Lakewood
Not BMG

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 2:59 pm
In case anyone is considering leaving kollel to work, I advise to really look into how much he will make at work. Remember you have to consider the cost of health insurance (no more Medicaid) and food (no more food stamps). And you will no longer be getting those nice coupons that we used to get for yomtov for hosiery and clothing and shoes etc. I see a lot of people make the mistake (us included), thinking that finances are easier if husband is working. They are not, they are actually much harder.

amother
Thistle

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 3:01 pm
How do you all rent an apartment? Serious question.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics