Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What is the reason why someone would not keep Chalav Yisroel
  1  2  3  13  14  15  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 1:41 pm
Not guilt tripping or bashing, I genuinely want to understand what’s keeping people from keeping Chalav Yisroel, when it is so readily available nowadays.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 1:45 pm
Its expensive. They hold by OUD. They rather keep pas yisroel instead of CY.
Many reasons...

Why do some women wear no tights and some do? People follow different beliefs

amother
White

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 1:45 pm
Yummy dairy products

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 1:46 pm
It seems like it was a heter that was taken out of context. That’s why it is so confusing to me

amother
Lemonchiffon

It’s not always widely available in out of town communities

amother
Pearl

I wasnt raised with it wasnt a thing for me … the times I do buy CY it expires so quickly also I love Reeses and Hagan Daaz too much

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 1:49 pm
amother Aquamarine wrote:
Its expensive. They hold by OUD. They rather keep pas yisroel instead of CY.
Many reasons...

Why do some women wear no tights and some do? People follow different beliefs

I don’t think comparing levush to kosher is really equal. Wherever we lived as yidden our levush changed, still remaining modest but non the less it was different.

With food, for thousands of years until very very recently, we always kept kosher to strict standards, chalav yisroel being one of them. Why the sudden shift? Can money and variety really affect us that dramatically enough to change our standards?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 1:50 pm
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
It’s not always widely available in out of town communities

Unless we’re talking far out like in remote remote villages in Europe, I think all major cities, most out of town places have plenty of chalav yisroel. No you might not be able to get soft serve, but the heter was for milk that is a staple and soft serve isn’t a staple

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 1:51 pm
The risk of their being not kosher mixed into chalav stam milk is almost non existent with the regulatory laws. If anything I would think the heter would be even more applicable.
Cost is a huge factor, CY is probably around $200 more a month than chalav stam. We have many times contemplated stopping because of money (and because of the frequency of them running out of milk)

amother
White

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 1:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
I don’t think comparing levush to kosher is really equal. Wherever we lived as yidden our levush changed, still remaining modest but non the less it was different.

With food, for thousands of years until very very recently, we always kept kosher to strict standards, chalav yisroel being one of them. Why the sudden shift? Can money and variety really affect us that dramatically enough to change our standards?

It's interesting. I had a Rav who explained how frustrated he was that people go around saying "I don't keep chalav yisroel."
He responded that every person in klal yisroel does and must keep chalav yisroel. HOWEVER, according to rabbanim, because of the strict guidelines of dairy production in the USA, one can rely on regular milk products as being consided "chalav yisroel" ie: no other animal products or milk added.

amother
Aquamarine

amother OP wrote:

I dont know what to tell you. Its not on their radar. Why do some people keep CY but not PY which is halacha? I was taught CY is a minhag and not clear cut halacha...

And yes, some people can literally not afford CY. Unless you are willing to foot their bill, making comments like your last are rude and degrading. Not keeping CY does not make them less frum than someone who keeps CY.

FTR we keep cy. im just explaining the other side.

amother
OP

notshanarishona wrote:
The risk of their being not kosher mixed into chalav stam milk is almost non existent with the regulatory laws. If anything I would think the heter would be even more applicable.
Cost is a huge factor, CY is probably around $200 more a month than chalav stam. We have many times contemplated stopping because of money (and because of the frequency of them running out of milk)

Maybe our real question should be then, is milk a staple anymore? With so many nut milks and parve milks that have equal and usually more calcium the cows milk, is it really necessary?

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 1:55 pm
amother OP wrote:
Maybe our real question should be then, is milk a staple anymore? With so many nut milks and parve milks that have equal and usually more calcium the cows milk, is it really necessary?

Yes, milk is a staple, especially for young children .
You can make whatever calculations work for your family, but it’s rude to judge others who are trying to feed their family with basics.

Last edited by notshanarishona on Wed, Aug 23 2023, 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 1:55 pm
Because they consider it as kosher as any milk.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 1:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
It seems like it was a heter that was taken out of context. That’s why it is so confusing to me

Not everyone holds it's a Heter some hold it's a Chumra

I was raised eating CY my DH was not, when we first got married I would get CY in Lakewood and put it in the freezer.
The local Path-mark started caring CY when I had a few little kids so I started to buy it there, it was almost triple the price, and it would spoil, a lot faster.

I stopped keeping CY when I brought some milk in Lakewood and then Erav Shavous brought the same brand in my local Path-mark. The one that I got from Lakewood lasted the one I got from Path-mark I was pouring it out the first day of Shavous. The one in Path-mark had a latter date.

That was when I stopped caring an did not buy any CY milk until the CY milk in Lakewood was $0.30 cheaper then the non CY milk in Path-mark.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 1:57 pm
I think some people were raised that way and haven't changed. My mother AH grew up in Brooklyn not being makpid on CY - no one was, even the camps and yeshivos all served Cholov stam - and at some point after their marriage, my parents decided to be makpid on CY. But I know people who just never changed their stance. Some of them, their children took it on, and some did not.

IOW the thinking is it was Kosher enough for Zaidy and Bubby, and Mommy and Daddy, and it's good enough for us.

amother
Wandflower

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 1:59 pm
amother OP wrote:

So many people have nut allergies
And rice and soy are not that healthy

mha3484

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 2:03 pm
I understand keeping chalav stam when you have no access to chalav yisroel but when I can walk into my local grocery store in my OOT city and have so many choices from yogurts, ice cream, cheese, dairy chocolate and the quality only gets better year after year it doesn't make sense to me to rely on a kulah. Also the milk lasts forever and is really good quality. We get lamers. My MIL lives in the middle of nowhere a really tiny community so it makes sense for her to buy chalav stam I dont knock it. But for me it doesn't make sense.

amother
Fern

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 2:15 pm
Someone can correct me if inaccurate but I think this is correct:

As some touched on, due to very strict regulations in US, with monitoring & high stakes financially & re reputation if company doesn't abide (& therefore completely not the case in some other countries) I'm not clear enough how to exactly define it halachically but this has something to do with it being in fact considered a form of Jewish supervision, based on a ruling by Rav Moshe Feinstein z'tl

So I believe that while it's not what we call Cholov Yisroel, by definition according to those for whom cholov stam is permissible it's in fact "CY" & why it it's kosher.

So for those who hold by this, for whom CY isn't their family minhag, why not then have CS? More variety & lower prices available. I know some who then decide to keep cy, but then it's a decision like taking on any other form personal chumra

gootlfriends

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 2:19 pm
My husband says I should try to buy cholov yisroel options but my oldest is lactose intolerant so we buy lactaid and the ice cream is definitely higher quality cholov stam.
Page 1 of 15   1  2  3  13  14  15  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen