Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
What’s the best underrated vacation you have taken?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 10:01 pm
I’m thinking about winter vacation because of budgeting. I don’t want to go where everyone else goes. We have preschool thru high school. Boys so no pritzus. Where have you gone that you thought was fabulous and wasn’t mobbed with people. Why did you think it was so amazing? Where did you stay? What did you do about food? We live in NY so not Australia lol. We have a long weekend for vacation. We don’t mind bringing our own food and prefer a minyan/chabad close by.

amother
Strawberry

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 10:10 pm
so a long weekend away in january (flight or drive?) somewhere that has a minyan ?

your question is tricky. because many of us go away throughout the year but what’s best ;most underrated) in one season isn’t the best for another . what’s best for shabbis isn’t what’s best for weekday

can you clarify your preferences. warm or cold vacation destination? how many days are you taking about? do you have a specific budget to stay within?

amother
Garnet

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 10:24 pm
So many people go away those weeks for yeshiva break/midwinter vacation I would say there are prob frum people almost everywhere. You can have a great time wherever you go. Most people choose to go someplace warm then but plenty of people do driving distance trips also.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 11:21 pm
Orlando. Hate to say it, but it’s easy, relatively affordable. Get a nice house with a pool, you don’t even have to go anywhere or do anything. There’s minyan, kosher food. You don’t need the parks or anything else.

amother
Daphne

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 12:06 am
I've been to many places. My most memorable winter trip was to Park City, Utah. It's a winter wonderland. The snowflakes fascinated me. I'm not a skier. But we found plenty adventurous things to do. Chabad had minyan and kosher food. I highly recommend it.

amother
Petunia

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 1:13 am
We did Houston this winter. Was really nice. There are 14 Chabad’s in Houston (possibly more might’ve opened since).
You can go to the NASA museum which was fascinating, Seismique museum was cool, Downtown Aquarium which also has some rides and was well priced, Houston Zoo was really nice and it’s huge (we got to see the elephants up close like nearly touching which was pretty incredible.
ETA: We also did Horseback riding and shooting at a gun range. (The horseback riding we made a mistake and didn’t do it right after landing as it was right near the airport) We also went to Bayou Bend Gardens which was nice but essentially a waste of time & money - the only cool part was the suspension bridge from the parking to the actual house & garden.

amother
Seablue

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 5:24 am
we go to Florida to a family member apartment but it is full of frum people we don't spend much money just swimming and driving around. I bring food with me so I can enjoy the vacation more and not worry about cooking. It's a pretty cheap vacation I buy tickets on sale for less than $50 a ticket with spirit we make it work cheaper than staying home and ordering pizza Smile

Sebastian

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 5:34 am
We liked philly

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 7:58 am
amother Seablue wrote:
we go to Florida to a family member apartment but it is full of frum people we don't spend much money just swimming and driving around. I bring food with me so I can enjoy the vacation more and not worry about cooking. It's a pretty cheap vacation I buy tickets on sale for less than $50 a ticket with spirit we make it work cheaper than staying home and ordering pizza Smile

Where in Florida do you go? Tickets are really that cheap in the winter?

amother
NeonOrange

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 8:03 am
Sebastian wrote:
We liked philly

What is there to do there in the winter time? Are all areas of Philly safe ? What are the options of Kosher food and accommodations for Shabbos?

amother
Steelblue

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 8:15 am
Pennsylvania area lots to do and bring a few coolers of food

Zahava94

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 9:25 am
If you enjoy nature, I'd say southern Utah, hands down. Fly into Vegas, stock up on food, and do a loop around the "Mighty 5": Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands and Arches. I love going to these parks in the winter because there are much less tourists, you have more freedom to travel where you want, and the red rocks just look better in snow. You probably won't find any minyanim, but tell the men in your family to wake up at sunrise and daven looking out to the high desert... I guarantee they'll have a more transformative davening than just being in a shul.

cupcake123

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 9:31 am
Florida. We spent so little and we did nothing but chill. Although we didn't bring kids so that makes a big difference with finances and chill factor.

amother
Honey

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 9:45 am
I loved Minneapolis for summer vacation but imagine winter is different because it is cold! Las Vegas area is nice in the winter/ you can skip the strip and there is lots of kosher and hiking and nature stuff, but might be an expensive flight depending on where you are coming from

amother
Kiwi

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 9:49 am
amother NeonOrange wrote:
What is there to do there in the winter time? Are all areas of Philly safe ? What are the options of Kosher food and accommodations for Shabbos?

Phili used to be a great option. There is so much to do there. BUT I was recently there you literally cannot walk the streets (downtown). It’s full of homeless people, druggies etc. I felt very unsafe.

amother
Strawberry

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 9:52 am
amother Kiwi wrote:
Phili used to be a great option. There is so much to do there. BUT I was recently there you literally cannot walk the streets (downtown). It’s full of homeless people, druggies etc. I felt very unsafe.

Sounds just like where I live then! We love Philly and find it’s a good go-to year round

amother
NeonOrange

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 9:59 am
amother Kiwi wrote:

Thanks for this info. I saw videos online and thought maybe the areas that people vacation at don’t look like that . I’d rather stay home than go to a place that’s full of homelessness and drugs .

amother
Tuberose

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 12:07 pm
RV trip this past summer from Arizona to Utah. It was amazing!

amother
Crocus

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 3:55 pm
is Philly synonymous with Philadelphia ? is it a nickname for Philadelphia?

amother
Strawberry

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 4:02 pm
amother Crocus wrote:
is Philly synonymous with Philadelphia ? is it a nickname for Philadelphia?

Yes. It’s like how LA is los Angelos.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics