Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Least answered ops seem to be travel-why?
1  2  3  Next

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 8:57 pm
This seems like the least answered topic. I just wonder why that is? Do most of us not take vacations and just don't know? Or is it annoying to answer? Is secrecy important?

amother
Camellia

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 8:58 pm
I answer everyone I have input to

amother
Iris

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 9:03 pm
I see lots of repetition in travel questions. I would suggest to first search old threads & then ask specific targeted questions. Open ended questions tend to require long details responses that take time I may not have.

amother
Lightblue

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 9:06 pm
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
This seems like the least answered topic. I just wonder why that is? Do most of us not take vacations and just don't know? Or is it annoying to answer? Is secrecy important?

I really haven't noticed this. Maybe people are being too specific?

dena613

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 9:19 pm
I can only answer about places I know.
If you're going to ask me about Morocco, Moldavia, or even Minneapolis or Milwaukee, I can't help you.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 9:23 pm
Yeah I posted and got no answers. People on here seem to only know about New Hampshire and Lancaster.

amother
Lotus

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 9:24 pm
Many questions are way too open ended- “what are good activities in the poconos” for example- the poconos are huge, where exactly are you referring to? I actually asked that question on a post because I had a lot to share about a specific part of the region but thr OP didn’t answer. Maybe there is a “poconos” area that people from in town places are referring to? Anyway, questions like that are too much of a pain to answer as they lack detail needed for a proper answer.

amother
Lotus

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 9:25 pm
amother Vermilion wrote:
Yeah I posted and got no answers. People on here seem to only know about New Hampshire and Lancaster.

What were you asking about?

Lovable

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 9:27 pm
amother Iris wrote:
I see lots of repetition in travel questions. I would suggest to first search old threads & then ask specific targeted questions. Open ended questions tend to require long details responses that take time I may not have.

Searching old threads is usually not helpful
People want current information
Also, location might be the same but their specifications might be different

giftedmom

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 9:27 pm
It’s a niche question as opposed to universal things like a mother in law or a two year old tantrum. Also lots of questions are repetitious or can be answered by a simple google search.

amother
Blueberry

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 9:30 pm
I find the most popular threads are controversial opinions or about human nature or inconsiderate behavior.
Many queries I have posted have barely gotten a response.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 9:58 pm
amother Blueberry wrote:
I find the most popular threads are controversial opinions or about human nature or inconsiderate behavior.

True. How to make queries controversial?

amother
Watermelon

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 10:04 pm
If you're asking for an opinion, most of us can help. Some of us may have personal experience.

But if you're asking for a specific fact, the majority of us don't have it. I can't tell you which airbnb is closest to a Shul in the Poconos, or the name of a chimney sweep in Baltimore that I'm happy with. I can't give you a review on a therapist I never heard of or a knockoff recipe for a specific brand of tuna salad. I want to help, but unless you want an empathetic "I have no idea but good luck OP!" I'll just move on.

You may get lucky and have the one Ima who just had her poison ivy removed notice your thread and share her experience, but most likely there are only one or two members who might have the info you need and they may not have noticed your question. If your thread title was vague and didn't include location, they might not have clicked on it even if they saw it.

amother
Skyblue

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 10:09 pm
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:

You can't. It's either a straight in point answer to the question or nothing.
Some threads have room for others to express their opinions about broad general matters.
Travel is very specific, I can't give you an opinion if I wasn't in that specific place nor do I know your family or your likes and dislikes.

amother
Skyblue

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 10:11 pm
amother Blueberry wrote:

Because I these threads we discuss ideas whereas when asking a specific question only those with the answer can post

amother
Snapdragon

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 11:18 pm
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:

Anything is possible!

"Any Trump-haters have info on Poconos hotels?"

" Any anti-vaxxers who can recommend vegan restaurants in Mexico"?

And so on....

amother
Watermelon

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 11:35 pm
amother Snapdragon wrote:
Anything is possible!

"Any Trump-haters have info on Poconos hotels?"

" Any anti-vaxxers who can recommend vegan restaurants in Mexico"?

And so on....

I guess if your goal is to get responses, you'll get them. If you're looking for the info, you might not.

There's not much to do about it though. There are only so many posters who
consider themselves expert pita bakers
use a specific brand of thigh highs in plus sizes
order flowers or massages in a specific city
are experts in unusual bleeding related to nuva rings
buy wholesale croissants
freeze a specific recipe
vacation in a specific spot over Shabbos
take very specific exercise classes
etc.

amother
Sunflower

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 12:30 pm
I do often give responses with very specific details to say, Italy and Boston. However, when I've done it three or four times, I get tired of repeating the details. I also think that people often don't try to find out information and just want someone else to do the work for them. There's also a frum behavior of wanting to only go to places with official frum accreditation (Is this something that people in our circles DO?) It's also not just an internet thing. My parents planned lots of vacations pre internet using guide books (available in libraries), AAA information (available by phone and mail) and calling their friends. For the advice very specific to a particular Jewish community, you can call a local Chabad or school and ask to speak with the director, Rabbi, or Rebbetzin. They have traditionally been a source for local travelers. You could also pick a hotel in a city and call the front desk for info (perhaps not the Jewish specific info).

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 12:33 pm
Calling Chabad is good for kosher. Not for itinerary.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 12:43 pm
amother Sunflower wrote:
I do often give responses with very specific details to say, Italy and Boston. However, when I've done it three or four times, I get tired of repeating the details. I also think that people often don't try to find out information and just want someone else to do the work for them. There's also a frum behavior of wanting to only go to places with official frum accreditation (Is this something that people in our circles DO?) It's also not just an internet thing. My parents planned lots of vacations pre internet using guide books (available in libraries), AAA information (available by phone and mail) and calling their friends. For the advice very specific to a particular Jewish community, you can call a local Chabad or school and ask to speak with the director, Rabbi, or Rebbetzin. They have traditionally been a source for local travelers. You could also pick a hotel in a city and call the front desk for info (perhaps not the Jewish specific info).

This exactly, I planned my first vacation at 19-20 to Washington DC with a friend pre internet pre cellphone. We basically just hopped on a train and went for a couple of days. A year or two later I was able to rent a car and we went to AAA and got a trip tik, with our map and whole itinerary to Mystic and Newport. I've done many road trips all with a lot of research and planning over the past 30 years. It's not something I can type up in 2 minutes to reply to a poster. The information is out there and much more readily available on Google than ever. And every person has different needs. We're on a budget and look for self catering but needs to be comfortable. We look for quiet places with views and with appropriate activities for our kids. So basically it pays to do your own research for your family.

I have helped a lot of friends but now I give them a few websites to use and stress the importance of Google reviews, don't book anywhere until you've read alot of reviews, it has saved us from disaster several times!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics