Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Roaches in appartment
1  2  Next

cb

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 9:12 pm
I am just trying to find out what makes some places have roaches and some not? how do they get to places and what can I do to prevent them? I live in a apartment building and work so hard on not having them and I still have them, I hate them, I find them gross. I closed up all wholes before I moved into my newly renovated apt. I put little poison in every place you can think off. as soon as I see one, I kill them or take it out (so they should not have more kids in my apt Smile and I still see them in my kitchen, dining room! any suggestions? I guess roaches for me are like a 'phobia' not sure how to spell it. when I am in the kitchen, every cabinet I open I fear to see one and just get disgusted from them. what worked for you???

Cdlf

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 9:26 pm
The little black combat bait stations work really welll and they are safe around food and kids and don't smell.

cb

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 9:28 pm
thanks for your reply.
I had used those in my old apt but did not find them to work.

octopus

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 9:47 pm
ahhh... the joys of apartment building living.
you are talking to the queen of hating the roaches! I had a terrible problem in my old building. (that's one of the reasons I moved out)
anyway- all the exterminators will tell you that the best stuff out there is the gel.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 9:48 pm
combat gel. works like a charm. they have the traps and the glue which you apply around your house
it looks like brown thin toothpaste, but they die from it. you need to replace it every 3 months.

cb

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 3:41 pm
Sad saw another big roach today, tried to kill it but I missed it, now he is who knows where in my house!

PIP

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 3:50 pm
Uch you sound like me. It is absolutely disgusting and I feel so dirty. They're huge disgusting monsters. I can't live in my house anymore, I'm always taking a double take to see what's crawling around. It's absolutely disgusting and it's getting worse.
Try boric acid, put it in all the cracks and corners of your house. Also Lowe's sells a great spray, we bought it once, it was great. It's called HotShot. It comes in a big clear bottle w\ a sprayer attached to it. They die on contact and one spraying lasts for months. I just bought more today. It gets much worse in the summer time. I have that and bought the little bait stations to put under my steams so the kids can't touch it. I also heard great things about the gel, It's supposed to work great. Good Luck, I'm right there with you, unfortunately.

pretty

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 4:08 pm
When you see a roach, dont kill it! spray it with boric acid. It will go back to it's nest & kill them all out. My mother had roaches for ages! She kept putting boric acid all over the place but it didnt help. she started keeping a bottle of the acid on the counter & whenever she saw one she sprayed it & she hasn't seen one in ages!

digi

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 4:11 pm
Boric acid really works!! Its costs about $2.00 and you can buy it in any 99 cents store or hardware store. Its safe for children. put it in all the corners of the room you see them in and keep it out for about 1 or 2 weeks. It scratches their skin and they dye.... try it and let me know when you see the dead ones around. Smile

pretty

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 4:15 pm
Your very lucky all you have is roaches! I've been having these HUGE DISGUSTING things in my apartment for a few weeks now. They are almost the size of a mouse! They're tremendous & they jump & I have no idea what they are!! I cant live in my apartment! my landlord is away on vacation. I called her to get an exterminator - anything. She says they're probabaly grasshoppers if they jump - & they get very big, I should just kill them & there's nothing she can do - I Dont think they're grasshoppers they are TREMENDOUS!!!! then 2 times I woke up in the morning with a BIG SLUG in my bedroom!!! the door was closed so they came from somewhere inside my bedroom or bathroom.
I had a feeling the jumping things were coming from the boiler room which is in the center of my apartment. There is a very big space under the door so I bought a doorsweep this friday & havent seen one yet - I hope I wont see another one!

gryp

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 4:24 pm
For those in a building- call the management and tell them send in exterminator into the basement. That's probably where they come from in the first place.

And make sure your holes are closed up all over your apartment. It reduces the invasions drastically. Call an exterminator who specializes in it. It costs money but it's so worth it. And the difference is like night and day.

Last edited by gryp on Mon, Aug 11 2008, 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 4:25 pm
We have an exterminator come every week to our building, but they still come Exploding anger Exploding anger !!

gryp

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 4:32 pm
Know your roaches. Rolling Eyes Puke

The small ones multipy very fast. The huge ones multiply slowly but scare the wits out of you. The huge ones fit into the same size hole as a mouse, so if you've got big ones expect other creatures too. Mad
Figure out which ones you have.

Now I'm out of this thread before they find me. Having roaches is contagious. Puke

pretty

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 4:36 pm
Do the big type of roaches jump - very high?

gryp

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 4:40 pm
I wouldn't know, I never stuck around to watch them. I don't think so, though. Unless you have the same kind of roaches they have in Florida. Those really jump. shock The first time I saw one I was sure it was a frog. shock

pretty

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 4:44 pm
they have huge legs & the body itself is very big

gryp

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 4:49 pm
google "waterbug" and if that's what your bugs look like, then those are the big ones. (If you can stomach looking at another one. Exploding anger )

PIP

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 10:10 pm
I have the gigantically humongo jumbo ones. As if that weren't enough they have these antennas that are 10 feet long. Try stepping on that and hear a crunch of a lifetime. (Won't try it) It is so gross, I could vomit. and they run oh so fast. A good way to get your heart rate up. Rolling Eyes
I shudder just thinking about it. Right now my house is soaking in bug spray thanks to me dear ol hubby. Don't mess with DH roachies! (evil laugh- that is until I find one crawling up my steam Exploding anger )

octopus

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 10:13 pm
the roaches are the worst in the apartments that are next door to the garbage shoot.

It was so bad in my previous apartment that I told my dh, "It is either me or the roaches."

Boy, am I glad that he chose me! LOL

ganizzy

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 2:15 am
they come out in the summer and thers not that much you can do if ur in an apt bldg. we lived next door to a pack rat and we had so amny roaches that my 2 yr knew how to kill them (when we couldnt kill them on shabbos, shed take matters into her own hands) I found that combat didnt work. I saw plenty roaches crawling in the boric acid without a problem. we put out the glue mouse traps bc we had mice (yay nyc) and we caught plenty roaches on those. on one of our traps we had this big roach that apparently laid its egg before it died and all around the egg was like 50 baby roaches that came out of the egg and got stuck on the trap. absolutly naseous! I hope nones eating right now.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics