Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Wood Stain Color For White Oak Floors

marriedgal

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 9:41 pm
Hi, not sure which forum to post this on but we are sanding and staining old white oak floors (just bought a house and doing minor cosmetic updates) and trying to pick a stain color! any advice and what color to do?

tzipis

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 10:29 pm
I don't know if old white oak is different than what we have. I put down a new wood floor and I'm staining it 75% Jacobean/ 25% Ebony. Satin finish. It's a dark color which I find beautiful and elegant

marriedgal

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 10:43 pm
tzipis wrote:
I don't know if old white oak is different than what we have. I put down a new wood floor and I'm staining it 75% Jacobean/ 25% Ebony. Satin finish. It's a dark color which I find beautiful and elegant

do you have a picture would love to see

tzipis

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 10:50 pm
We didn't get it stained yet! Our floor was just installed. I saw the color at a friend's house and loved it. I don't mind sending a pic once it's done

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 10:51 pm
tzipis wrote:

All the people who warned me that dark floors show everything were right. I sweep all the time. But yes, they are so elegant and it's worth it (to me).

marriedgal

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 10:53 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
All the people who warned me that dark floors show everything were right. I sweep all the time. But yes, they are so elegant and it's worth it (to me).

thats my concern I had dark wood in an apartment and I felt like I saw every single crumb and was constantly sweeping after the kids. and I know light wood is very in style now but theres a richness that comes with dark wood so im torn!

tzipis

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 11:04 pm
Depends where you are having your wood floor. Mine is my dining room and living room and will have less traffic than the other rooms. So I will probably be seeing every crumb after our shabbos meal but that's not on a daily basis

marriedgal

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 11:05 pm
tzipis wrote:
Depends where you are having your wood floor. Mine is my dining room and living room and will have less traffic than the other rooms. So I will probably be seeing every crumb after our shabbos meal but that's not on a daily basis

its throughout the whole house. living room dining room den staircase hallway all bedrooms. right now dont have any carpet yet

gande

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 11:31 pm
It’s really a matter of taste. Some people do very dark some like natural. I did a color called weathered oak I like it very much.

marriedgal

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 11:33 pm
gande wrote:
It’s really a matter of taste. Some people do very dark some like natural. I did a color called weathered oak I like it very much.

someone recommended weathered oak I want to try it out as a sample. how did it come out what does it look like?

gande

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 11:36 pm
https://www.ampro-online.com/items/DS170

I posted a link to the color. It shows up less yellow and more red on my floors. It’s a warm color but not so dark.

I had the staining people do a few sample colors on my floor. It was ver helpful being able to envision how the colors will look in my space.

marriedgal

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 11:44 pm
gande wrote:
https://www.ampro-online.com/items/DS170

I posted a link to the color. It shows up less yellow and more red on my floors. It’s a warm color but not so dark.

I had the staining people do a few sample colors on my floor. It was ver helpful being able to envision how the colors will look in my space.

thanks this is very helpful! did you try out ones that were only lighter colors or darker too? im leaning towards the weathered oak but debating if I should also try out some darker ones as well

imamother153

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 1:34 am
marriedgal wrote:
Hi, not sure which forum to post this on but we are sanding and staining old white oak floors (just bought a house and doing minor cosmetic updates) and trying to pick a stain color! any advice and what color to do?

Rustic beige is a pretty color!

Amarante

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 9:35 am
I deliberately opted for a light wood stain.

I did it because I liked how it brightened the room and made it seem airier and just lighter in general. I like how my furniture and rugs look against it as I have some darker rugs and furniture and they wouldn't "pop" as well with dark floors.

My lighter floors are much easier maintenance - during the pandemic when my cleaning lady wasn't coming, the dust wasn't very apparent. Also, dark floors will show scratches more if that is a concern.

If you care about trends, what I see in the design magazines are lighter wood floors - especially white oak. Some of them have a European type of very light finish which is super elegant.

FWIW if you are having your floors finished and stained in your house, you should show the person pictures of what you like and have them stain a sample board in a few finishes. If you don't like it they will go back and give you more options until you get one that you like. You would then initial the sample you like. When I remodeled I had custom cabinets done for the kitchen and baths and the person brought me samples until it was what I wanted. Pictures and descriptions didn't work - ironically I had a chair that had the exact color I was wanted so he took it to his workshop and brought a miniature door back with the stain and I approved it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics