Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
How in the world do I decide on flooring for kitchen

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 2:45 pm
Finally saved up enough to redo the flooring in kitchen that is all scratched. I am doing luxury vinyl tile.

I know I want I want in the grey, greige family but I have no idea how to choose! I ordered samples from Home Depot, Lowes, went to a few different showrooms, they all look nice, how in the world do I know which to get?

Is there like designer service kindad thing that helps with this?

Busybee5

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 2:54 pm
You can get an interior designer round to help you. I'm in England, they charge £60 an hour to come round to help you. I didn't take her in the end, we just decided ourselves but I totally understand your dilemma. The choosing is draining. Big decision! Good luck!

tweety1

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 2:57 pm
Please Please only do matte in the kitchen. I had a designer who convinced me that a dark semi gloss floor is great in the kitchen. Problem is that the the sunlight reflects on the gloss from the floor and every speckle , finger prick size crumbs you can see from the other end of the house. Unless you don't have lots of natural light coming in Please only do matte.

amother
Electricblue

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 3:17 pm
Put the samples on the floor in the kitchen. See how they look in the lighting, in the day, At night. See what goes with the cabinets and paint colors. Step on them and see what’s comfortable. Sprinkle on some sand and. See what blends in. Good luck!

amother
Arcticblue

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 3:23 pm
Well, I am proficient in many things. I am horrible at this type of stuff!! I hired a decorator when I redid my kitchen and anytime I need to paint a room and I want a new color. It is worth it to me.

Busybee5

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 3:33 pm
tweety1 wrote:
Please Please only do matte in the kitchen. I had a designer who convinced me that a dark semi gloss floor is great in the kitchen. Problem is that the the sunlight reflects on the gloss from the floor and every speckle , finger prick size crumbs you can see from the other end of the house. Unless you don't have lots of natural light coming in Please only do matte.

We did gloss marble tiles in the end and are delighted with them.
We do have tons of natural light coming in. We've learnt the best way to mop it to stop seeing streaks from dried water/floor cleaning solution.

Eta: not marble, porcelain tiles with marble pattern.

Last edited by Busybee5 on Wed, Aug 30 2023, 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 3:45 pm
amother Arcticblue wrote:
Well, I am proficient in many things. I am horrible at this type of stuff!! I hired a decorator when I redid my kitchen and anytime I need to paint a room and I want a new color. It is worth it to me.

Can I ask for the name and number of who you used? Were you satisfied? Looking to redo my kitchen and am just overwhelmed so I didn't do it.

amother
Banana

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 5:09 pm
amother Arcticblue wrote:

If you’re in Brooklyn, can you say the name?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 7:58 pm
Many of the manufacturers have a way you can upload pictures of your kitchen at different angles and virtually try their flooring

tweety1

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 8:30 pm
Busybee5 wrote:
We did gloss marble tiles in the end and are delighted with them.
We do have tons of natural light coming in. We've learnt the best way to mop it to stop seeing streaks from dried water/floor cleaning solution.

Eta: not marble, porcelain tiles with marble pattern.

We did dark marble. It's not only the streaks. That would be fine. It's the tiniest crumbs can be seen.

happy12

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 8:32 pm
If you do vinyl tile be sure to make sure the top layer is thick

Busybee5

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 3:25 am
tweety1 wrote:
We did dark marble. It's not only the streaks. That would be fine. It's the tiniest crumbs can be seen.

Ours are white with gopd/beige marble and if you look well you can see the mess but overall it doesn't look bad.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics