Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
I adore my toddler but no patience to entertain

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 3:22 pm
I love him to peices but when I come home from work I have no patience to sit and play with him. I can hold him and kiss him, talk to him but sitting on the floor is just too much. he's tired but wont take another nap. he may be hungry but wont eat many things aside for cookies.... I'm exhausted.

amother
NeonPink

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 3:25 pm
I’m not a sit on the floor mom. I’m happy to read a book on the couch but otherwise he’s free to play with his cars or mags tile or whatever by himself on the floor. Having the ability to play by oneself is a worthy skill

amother
Skyblue

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 3:41 pm
That's a skill that needs to be taught. Any practical tips on how to get them to do it. My son screams if I leave him aone on the floor.

amother
NeonPink

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 3:42 pm
amother Skyblue wrote:
That's a skill that needs to be taught. Any practical tips on how to get them to do it. My son screams if I leave him aone on the floor.

I don’t leave them AlONE necessarily. I can stay in the room. But there should be toys, puzzles, books whatever within reach that would entice him to play

amother
Maize

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 3:43 pm
You need to set up things that they will gravitate to. Or just cuddle on the couch together.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 3:45 pm
he doesn't cuddle. he jumps on me, climbs on me. bites me for fun. he's super active and sticks to me like glue. he's 18 months. isnt that too young to entertain himself with toys?

amother
Rainbow

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 3:47 pm
amother OP wrote:
he doesn't cuddle. he jumps on me, climbs on me. bites me for fun. he's super active and sticks to me like glue. he's 18 months. isnt that too young to entertain himself with toys?

Why should he want to entertain himself after not being together with you all day? He wants you, and rightfully so. I assume he's at a sitter or playgroup when you're at work, when you get home from work, of course he wants mommy. He's a baby.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 3:49 pm
I want to be with him but I need some down time. I dont want to play with cars. I can hold him, cuddle, read to him but he's too young. he uses me like a trampoline/monkey bar. my senses don't handle it well.

amother
Rainbow

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 4:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
I want to be with him but I need some down time. I dont want to play with cars. I can hold him, cuddle, read to him but he's too young. he uses me like a trampoline/monkey bar. my senses don't handle it well.

We have our down time when the kids are asleep. That's motherhood. We can't pick toddler up from the sitter and expect them to entertain themselves after not seeing us all day.
How far do you live from the babysitter/daycare? Is it a possibility for you to go home for 15-20 minutes to wind down & then go pick up the baby?

amother
Whitewash

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 4:20 pm
amother OP wrote:

My 8 month entertains himself with toys- independent play looks different at every age.

If my kids hurt me, I put them on the floor. I tell them "I can't let you hurt me. I can hold you, if you want. Do you want me to hold you?" I also read a lot of books, it gives good quality time.

I don't sit on the floor. I sit on the couch. No one climbs or jumps on the couch- not the kids or Ima and Aba.

amother
Whitewash

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 4:21 pm
amother Rainbow wrote:
We have our down time when the kids are asleep. That's motherhood. We can't pick toddler up from the sitter and expect them to entertain themselves after not seeing us all day.
How far do you live from the babysitter/daycare? Is it a possibility for you to go home for 15-20 minutes to wind down & then go pick up the baby?

Cuddling and reading together isn't really downtime. You can absolutely choose how you interact with your kids. Being a jungle gym isn't necessary.

thegiver

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 4:24 am
He needs sensory your touch. Hold his hand and say let’s jump off the couch. He is literally bouncing from happiness being around you. Do it again and again and again until he can’t anymore.

Or you could be the one to initiate with tickles etc

amother
Winterberry

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 9:00 am
Part of the big challenge of working from bus to bus-from right after kids leave till right when they come home.

I am now a stay at home mom and if I don't entertain my 18 month old she is exactly like you described your toddler. Even I do sit with her, she's never still for more than a few, always busy coming and going, brining and taking. I love her to pieces but it is SO draining. She is starting playgroup iyh.

In my experience, a kid entertaining themselves is many times a nature. Some of my kids did from a young age and some never mastered it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics