Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Politz HA Philadelphia
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 8:35 pm
What can you tell me about Politz Hebrew Academy of Philly? Girls & boys division.
How's the Hebrew and English academics? How would they compare to a Monsey/Brooklyn/Lakewood school?
Are the teachers for the most part excellent, okish, or leave what to be desired?
What yeshivos do the boys go to after?
What are the school's strengths & main challenges?
Is it a good place for a very smart kid?
What hashkafos do they teach the boys & girls (related to learning/tsnius etc)?
Anything else that would be helpful to know??
Thank you so much!!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 12:55 pm
Bump

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 2:07 pm
It’s not a BY school.
It’s a lovely school with teachers who lean Yeshivish, but the student body is very mixed.
Not intense.
It’s not a super strong academic program.
The boys go to all kinds of yeshivas after- depends on the family.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 01 2023, 7:12 am
amother Linen wrote:
It’s not a BY school.
It’s a lovely school with teachers who lean Yeshivish, but the student body is very mixed.
Not intense.
It’s not a super strong academic program.
The boys go to all kinds of yeshivas after- depends on the family.

Are both the Hebrew and English classes not strong academically?

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Sep 01 2023, 8:20 am
English is strong. Hebrew is behind in town schools.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 01 2023, 9:01 am
In what ways is it different than a BY/yeshiva?

amother
Diamond

Post Fri, Sep 01 2023, 9:09 am
amother OP wrote:
In what ways is it different than a BY/yeshiva?

Can't really be compared to an in-town school. There's no contracts for hashkafos so you have a range of backgrounds from parents completely not frum to Rav Shmuel Kamenetsky's grandchildren. It's not so academically rigorous in either kodesh or English. Boys will go to the type of yeshiva their family wants, the more yeshivish will hire tutors to keep them on par with in town, but there's also a local mesivta for mainstream oot boys. Girls go to KTA and a good percentage go to sem after

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 01 2023, 3:55 pm
Thank you for replying! How are the hanhala/teachers?

amother
Alyssum

Post Fri, Sep 01 2023, 4:19 pm
amother Diamond wrote:
Can't really be compared to an in-town school. There's no contracts for hashkafos so you have a range of backgrounds from parents completely not frum to Rav Shmuel Kamenetsky's grandchildren. It's not so academically rigorous in either kodesh or English. Boys will go to the type of yeshiva their family wants, the more yeshivish will hire tutors to keep them on par with in town, but there's also a local mesivta for mainstream oot boys. Girls go to KTA and a good percentage go to sem after

I live in a totally different OOT community, but this description fits our community day school to a tee also Smile

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Sep 01 2023, 4:58 pm
In Philadelphia, there is a new school for boys called Yeshiva Ketana. It started 2022-23 and I believe it is up to third grade (maybe 4th) now. I believe that what this has done is made Politz boys division less yeshivish than it was, bec the more yeshivish/kollel style families are sending to the new school.

It’s not BY Hashkafa. There is more exposure to secularism, most families don’t keep CY, families have smartphones, not everyone wears socks outside of school…
It’s not BY style. It’s not yeshivish.
There hasn’t yet been a new girls school, I wonder if that is coming next.

the world's best mom

Post Fri, Sep 01 2023, 6:03 pm
Actually, Politz has a larger percentage of yeshivish kids than the high school does because the more modern kids go to CTA, Abrams, or Kohelet. All those schools feed into KTA High School (girls school) so that has a much bigger mix. Yeshiva Ketana may have taken some of the frummer kids, but I don't think so many left Politz.

That said, there is a range of modern to Yeshivish there. We love it because nobody makes strict rules about what you can and can't do. Everyone does what they feel is right for them. There are kids who curse, but the new Menahel is very on top of the problem.

The school got a new Menahel and English principal this year. Both seem to be wonderful. My ds has a very good relationship (so far) with them. He feels he is a good friend of the menahel.

It's not a very academic school. Many of the English teachers are not Jewish. Some are amazing and others are okay. I am pretty happy with the level of learning because I don't want my kids to have tons of pressure to do difficult reports and projects and to study for very hard tests. I want my kids to learn and thrive.

As someone who has a difficult child who will behave beautifully only when he likes the teacher, he is thriving there. He loved loved loved his English teacher last year and never misbehaved with him. He had a nice mixture of love and fear for his Rebbe, so he did very well with him too.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 12:29 am
Another new school just opened this year. Kindergarden only this year, but hopes to grow. PHDS. Philadelphia Hebrew Day School.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 9:20 am
Wow, thank you so much for all this info. I was not aware of yeshiva ketana or Hebrew day school opening.
Why would someone send to yeshiva ketana over Politz? Academic level? Hashkafa?

Who is the new Menahel & principal? Is the school going through big changes?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 3:36 pm
Bump

shanie5

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 5:15 pm
Yeshiva ketana is in the lower merion/bala cynwood area.
Politz is in the norheast. So the travel might make a difference in where you send to.

amother
Acacia

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 5:16 pm
shanie5 wrote:
Yeshiva ketana is in the lower merion/bala cynwood area.
Politz is in the norheast. So the travel might make a difference in where you send to.

Do you know if yeshiva ketana have boys from Somerton? Do they provide transportation?

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 5:25 pm
Yeshiva ketanah is aiming to be a yeshivish environment. It’s not trying to appeal to a mix of crowds.
The schools don’t provide transportation here. Transportation comes from the school district or through private pay.
It is also a long drive from somerton

amother
Acacia

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 5:29 pm
amother Linen wrote:
Yeshiva ketanah is aiming to be a yeshivish environment. It’s not trying to appeal to a mix of crowds.
The schools don’t provide transportation here. Transportation comes from the school district or through private pay.
It is also a long drive from somerton

We're a yeshivish family thinking about moving to Somerton.
Are there not many yeshivish people there?

I'm also really interested in yeshiva ketana for my son. I hope we can work that out somehow.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 9:22 pm
Is Politz middos focused for the boys and girls?

What type of crowd lives in Somerton? How many families?

amother
Sage

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 10:59 pm
amother OP wrote:
Wow, thank you so much for all this info. I was not aware of yeshiva ketana or Hebrew day school opening.
Why would someone send to yeshiva ketana over Politz? Academic level? Hashkafa?

Hashkafa
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics