Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Why are landlords getting away with ILLEGAL FORCED raises?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 10:41 am
It seems like landlords across Lakewood are raising rents much more than is legal. If tenants dont give in , they threaten to evict.

I am not talking about new tenants. Im talking about raising old tenants more than is legal

How is this allowed legally and halachically?

Chayalle

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 10:44 am
It seems, or you have specific examples?

I am a landlord, and have not raised my tenant's rent more than the agreed upon amount in the lease. And yes, my costs have risen tremendously.

amother
Seablue

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 10:56 am
Chayalle wrote:
It seems, or you have specific examples?

I am a landlord, and have not raised my tenant's rent more than the agreed upon amount in the lease.
And yes, my costs have risen tremendously.

How much and how often is normal to raise? 10percent a year?
And how has a landlords costs increased if the house is paid for?

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 11:00 am
If the raise is above the legal limit, then the landlord can’t evict. If someone is threatened with eviction based in an illegal raise, they should consult a lawyer or an organization that advices tenants because those are generally free.

There are exceptions which aren’t covered by rent control laws which are specific to a location. A common except is if it is an owner occupied home. For example, two family or basement apartment is often exempt from rent control

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 11:01 am
amother Seablue wrote:

First of all, what makes you think the house is paid for? Likely it's under mortgage.

Real estate taxes, homeowners insurance and utilities have gone up exponentially. Life is more expensive and rents have to go up as well.

Repairs cost more. Appliances replacements cost more.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 11:02 am
amother Silver wrote:
If the raise is above the legal limit, then the landlord can’t evict. If someone is threatened with eviction based in an illegal raise, they should consult a lawyer or an organization that advices tenants because those are generally free.

There are exceptions which aren’t covered by rent control laws which are specific to a location. A common except is if it is an owner occupied home. For example, two family or basement apartment is often exempt from rent control

I live in a builidng and they want to raise me 25% after 2 years. Legal increase is 5% . source https://ecode360.com/35458779

Landlord said everyone is doing it. If I dont sign the illegal contract they will evict me. Who can I cantact

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 11:03 am
amother OP wrote:
I live in a builidng and they want to raise me 25% after 2 years. Legal increase is 5% . source https://ecode360.com/35458779

Landlord said everyone is doing it. If I dont sign the illegal contract they will evict me. Who can I cantact

Do you have a legal lease?

amother
Bone

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 11:04 am
amother OP wrote:

Contact 311. They will guide you.

amother
Seablue

amother Crimson wrote:
First of all, what makes you think the house is paid for? Likely it's under mortgage.

Real estate taxes, homeowners insurance and utilities have gone up exponentially. Life is more expensive and rents have to go up as well.

My landlord can afford not to raise, I know his lifestyle
Utilities are separate

amother
OP

amother Crimson wrote:
Do you have a legal lease?

yes. I do. Its expire and they are forcing me to sign one that includes an illegal raise.

shaqued_almond

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 11:05 am
amother OP wrote:

Contact a real estate attorney.

amother
OP

shaqued_almond wrote:
Contact a real estate attorney.

Can you suggest someone?

amother
Clear

It's not at all easy to evict in NJ.

shaqued_almond

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 11:06 am
amother Crimson wrote:

This so much, it hurts. Repair materials and labor increased a lot

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 11:07 am
Is this halachically allowed. Rabanim are not getting involved.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 11:11 am
amother OP wrote:

What does your original lease state?
My lease (the typical Bais Din Maysharim one) allows for a 5% increase per year upon renewal of lease.
And clearly states that if the landlord wants to raise more than 5%, but up to 10%, they must go with the tenant to Bais Din Maysharim.

The Bais Din psakim seem to have held up in NJ courts.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 11:12 am
amother Seablue wrote:

Are you for real?

Usually 5-6% per year. This should be specified in the lease.

Ever heard of property taxes? They go up every year. When I call a plumber, electrician, or any other serviceman for anything at my rental, the charge is close to double what it used to be. When I need to paint, hire a cleaning service, prepare for new tenants, it's a huge cost each time.

Many landlords have flexible loans on their properties - they are not "already paid for" - and rates have shot up.

Prices have gone up everywhere.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 11:12 am
amother Seablue wrote:
My landlord can afford not to raise, I know his lifestyle
Utilities are separate

Lifestyle is not the same thing as money in the bank.
I don’t live in Lakewood so I can’t give you any specific info, but you should contact a lawyer or call 311 (if that’s a thing in Lakewood, I don’t know) and find out what your options are.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 11:14 am
amother OP wrote:
Is this halachically allowed. Rabanim are not getting involved.

If you think it is an issue in halacha (I don’t know whether it is or not) then consult with a rav, someone that not only you will listen to, but hopefully your landlord as well.

amother
Seablue

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 11:15 am
Chayalle wrote:
Are you for real?

Usually 5-6% per year. This should be specified in the lease.

Ever heard of property taxes? They go up every year. When I call a plumber, electrician, or any other serviceman for anything at my rental, the charge is close to double what it used to be. When I need to paint, hire a cleaning service, prepare for new tenants, it's a huge cost each time.

Many landlords have flexible loans on their properties - they are not "already paid for" - and rates have shot up.

Prices have gone up everywhere.

Am I for real about which point?
Did my landlord do something wrong by raising by 10percent after 1year?
We haven't had any repairs done at all
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries