Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Is it average to earn over $350k
1  2  3  4  Next

Earn more than $350k?
Yes  
 5%  [ 16 ]
No  
 94%  [ 289 ]
Total Votes : 305

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 2:30 pm
S/O of another thread where everyone earns in the sky digits…

I wonder if I’m poor.

justmarried:)

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 2:31 pm
Everyone should focus on themselves and be happy with what they have. You don’t ont need a poll to tell you if you are poor. Can you afford your expenses?

amother
Dustypink

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 2:32 pm
I don't think it's average, certainly not in my community.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 2:41 pm
we both work full time and earn 85,000 a year

giftedmom

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 2:50 pm
There are so many variables how can anyone know

amother
Cappuccino

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 2:51 pm
amother Cappuccino wrote:
we both work full time and earn 85,000 a year

No kids yet, if that makes a difference

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 2:53 pm
3 kids going in 4 earning 220 combined pre tax and I’m working two jobs to get that . That thread stressed me out .. for us I just don’t see how we can ever go over 250 our careers are not the type where we will be earning big money

amother
Forsythia

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 2:56 pm
Someone once told me you don't need more money you need to see bracha in your money. So true

amother
Jasmine

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 3:03 pm
amother Forsythia wrote:
Someone once told me you don't need more money you need to see bracha in your money. So true

This is really true.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 3:04 pm
That thread was nuts. We make about 230 combined and live in the tristate. We're okay so far BH but kids are young so haven't hit high school tuition. We won't have a big family because we can't afford it or handle it though...I guess if you have that and pesach getaways and leased cars, maybe you do need 500k. I think a lot depends on family size, lifestyle, and whether you "need" a million+ dollar house. DH and I are professionals but I'm not in a high earning field so we're prob not going to get past 300k even with salary advancement/experience.

amother
Almond

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 3:08 pm
amother Forsythia wrote:

This

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 3:14 pm
It’s not average but it seems to be becoming more common.

amother
Maize

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 4:29 pm
amother Forsythia wrote:

Or Bracha in your life. We spend about $70-80,000 a year for our young family. Plus an additional $20,000+ in medical and therapy expenses.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 4:41 pm
It’s nice to earn a lot , but I see miserable people will always be miserable even with 1 million salary. So yes the answer for happiness isn’t only money.

amother
Steelblue

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 4:46 pm
amother Nasturtium wrote:
That thread was nuts. We make about 230 combined and live in the tristate. We're okay so far BH but kids are young so haven't hit high school tuition. We won't have a big family because we can't afford it or handle it though...I guess if you have that and pesach getaways and leased cars, maybe you do need 500k. I think a lot depends on family size, lifestyle, and whether you "need" a million+ dollar house. DH and I are professionals but I'm not in a high earning field so we're prob not going to get past 300k even with salary advancement/experience.

HS tuition
Seminary
Yeshiva tuition
Clothing for teens
Piano lessons
Gymnastics
Summer camp

Pesach getaways and leased cars don’t even come into the picture. Let alone if you have 6-8 kids. A young family has no concept

amother
Nasturtium

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 4:54 pm
amother Steelblue wrote:
HS tuition
Seminary
Yeshiva tuition
Clothing for teens
Piano lessons
Gymnastics
Summer camp

Pesach getaways and leased cars don’t even come into the picture. Let alone if you have 6-8 kids. A young family has no concept

Yeah I'm not having 6-8 kids. Def can't handle or afford that. But I don't think we should normalize everyone making 500k because that's not normal or doable for everyone.

amother
Buttercup

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 5:20 pm
amother Steelblue wrote:
HS tuition
Seminary
Yeshiva tuition
Clothing for teens
Piano lessons
Gymnastics
Summer camp

Chavrusahs for your boys. My school insists no fathers. $150/hr, 5 days a week.

amother
Camellia

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 5:22 pm
I'm a piano teacher, and I believe lessons are a luxury.

Window

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 5:27 pm
Which other thread? I’m curious

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 5:30 pm
Not gonna lie, those threads sometimes have me thinking, what are we doing wrong???
But I think the answer is that most or all of the high earners have their own business. I would never wish that stress on our lives.
It's also not normal for someone to just casually earn over 350k. Don't be fooled.
Dh is in a very influential and integral position in a multi million dollar corporate company. The owners have said numerous times they don't know what they would do without him (Non Jewish owners).
He earns about $200k pretax.
For the work and hours he's putting in he'd love to be earning at least $300k. But they'll laugh him outta there with that number.
Most people's salaries in that company are well under $100k.
I think outside of the Jewish bubble people don't just earn those high amounts as an employee.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics