Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Can you tell me about application process for girls schools

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 12:58 pm
We are new parents, applying to primary for our first daughter.
Both of us grew up out of town, so we don't really have pull. We are living in Lakewood 6 years.

I know the school situation is really hard, so I want to make sure we are doing our hishtadlus doing all the right things during apllication process, and then I am not stressing and leaving it up to Hashem.

I call the schools to request an application now or after sukkos? Do they mail or email it or I need to pick it up? Does it get mailed back or dropped off? What kind of questions should I expect?

The one remote "pull" we do have-when should we ask them to call? Before applying, after applying before interview or after?

If we don't hear from the schools by x date, do I call them or is that nagging?

What kind of questions do they ask on the interview, and is there any way I can/should prep my daughter?
What is the min/max amount of schools we should apply to?
Worse come to worse, if we get in nowhere, when do we contact the vaad?

any other tips?

One more question-I was told by a few people that we should apply to the "newer, smaller schools" so we have a higher chance of getting in. I am happy to do so, but nobody could really suggest any names.
We are regular yeshivish, husband still in yeshiva, pretty simple, maybe a bit "out of towny", and very chilled. Open to any suggestions of schools we may not have heard of.
TIA.

keym

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 2:03 pm
Next week (when the beginning rush is over), call schools that you're interested in and ask when you should call for an application.
Some schools will say right after Sukkos, some right before.

On the earliest day, call for an application. Don't leave a message, keep calling until you speak to a person.
Ask if you can come pick up the application that day (save time).
Fill it out and return it in person the same day.

Your pull should call the day the application gets turned in.

If your husband is learning in BMG, put his Rosh Chabura somewhere as a reference, it helps the school place your family.

Somewhere Chanuka time, there will be notes in the Voice and BP with instructions where and when to call if you don't get in.

For your DD, the interview is basic. They'll talk to her a little, ask who her Morah is, what letter Aleph Bais she's learning, that thing.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 3:48 pm
You mentioned that you're looking for school ideas. Based on the way you described yourself, I would say to look into Bnos Tzipa.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 3:51 pm
Call next week and find out when applications open. Get it sent back the day you get it, they do look at the first few and start handing out interviews. You do not want to send it back late and risk not even being given an interview. Pull should call the day you send it in.

I've been pull for people, I'm just a regular parent in the school but I find schools trust most of their parents. The people I called about got interviews the next day.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 4:41 pm
amother Honeydew wrote:
You mentioned that you're looking for school ideas. Based on the way you described yourself, I would say to look into Bnos Tzipa.

I was going to say this- and it’s a very good school that isn’t “impossible” to get into. Not that it’s easy, but it’s less impossible than others lol

amother
Almond

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 4:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
We are new parents, applying to primary for our first daughter.
Both of us grew up out of town, so we don't really have pull. We are living in Lakewood 6 years.

I know the school situation is really hard, so I want to make sure we are doing our hishtadlus doing all the right things during apllication process, and then I am not stressing and leaving it up to Hashem.

I call the schools to request an application now or after sukkos? Do they mail or email it or I need to pick it up? Does it get mailed back or dropped off? What kind of questions should I expect?

The one remote "pull" we do have-when should we ask them to call? Before applying, after applying before interview or after?

If we don't hear from the schools by x date, do I call them or is that nagging?

What kind of questions do they ask on the interview, and is there any way I can/should prep my daughter?
What is the min/max amount of schools we should apply to?
Worse come to worse, if we get in nowhere, when do we contact the vaad?

any other tips?

One more question-I was told by a few people that we should apply to the "newer, smaller schools" so we have a higher chance of getting in. I am happy to do so, but nobody could really suggest any names.
We are regular yeshivish, husband still in yeshiva, pretty simple, maybe a bit "out of towny", and very chilled. Open to any suggestions of schools we may not have heard of.
TIA.

Do you have friends with kids in the schools youre applying to? Make sure they call!

amother
Yolk

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 7:45 pm
Something ppl don’t know is that they don’t cash your application fee check unless you register. Apply to as many schools as you want, don’t limit yourself (like with seminary each one costs a bomb).

We’re very happy in Bnos yaakov. Very nice crowd. (Btw everyone who applies there gets an interview… at least in other years)

Like others said call now and ask when to apply

Your pull should call before u apply, after you send in your application, and after your interview.

Some schools have the kid come to the interview and some don’t.

amother
RosePink

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 8:33 pm
Some newer schools:
Neemas
The new bais faiga
Nachlas
Moreshes

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 8:37 pm
amother RosePink wrote:
Some newer schools:
Neemas
The new bais faiga
Nachlas
Moreshes

Nachlas is up to 8th grade and Moreshes is past 8th grade, don’t think either is new anymore
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries