Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
What time does your shul finish?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 6:56 am
amother Babypink wrote:
Before you jump down my throat, I was responding to amother snapdragon who thinks it's hurrendous that our chassidish shuls finish at 5.
I was just protesting the use of the words hurrendous. It's no one's place to call anyone's minhagim hurrendous.

Or even horrendous.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 7:17 am
amother Slateblue wrote:
Not Satmar and not Klausenburg
There are years that Dh comes home way after shkiah

Heichal?

amother
NeonBlue

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 8:13 am
Most Chassidim eat before davening so no one is fasting here. They can also make kiddush before mussaf so it’s true that they are not washing and eating the seuda until very late but they definitely aren’t fasting all day.

Also, while others begin very early on rosh hashana (7:15-7:30) chassidim begin later which obviously means will finish later too.

amother
DarkRed

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 9:33 am
amother Babypink wrote:
Before you jump down my throat, I was responding to amother snapdragon who thinks it's hurrendous that our chassidish shuls finish at 5.
I was just protesting the use of the words hurrendous. It's no one's place to call anyone's minhagim hurrendous.

My apologies for quoting the wrong post, I was responding to snapdragon too who kept on saying how “horrendous” our day is...

amother
DarkRed

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 9:37 am
amother NeonBlue wrote:
Most Chassidim eat before davening so no one is fasting here. They can also make kiddush before mussaf so it’s true that they are not washing and eating the seuda until very late but they definitely aren’t fasting all day.

Also, while others begin very early on rosh hashana (7:15-7:30) chassidim begin later which obviously means will finish later too.

No, most chasidim don’t eat before davening. The most they will have is a cup of coffee.
And yes, some will make kiddush before shofer, but still many won’t.

As for timing, the shuls I know start around 8:30, so that’s only about an hour later. Obviously a couple of hours later than the vasikin minyanim, but not that much later than many posted here.

amother
Oldlace

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 9:38 am
amother NeonBlue wrote:

No way, most chassidim do NOT eat before davening. Absolutely not. People may make kiddush before mussaf, but no eating before davening in the morning.

amother
Moonstone

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 10:01 am
amother Babypink wrote:
You don't eat together with your husband or as a family? That's horrendous.
Wow, a lot of horrendous-ing here. It's two meals a year for gosh sakes. It's a lot more horrendous for me to sit around starving and growing ever more resentful and then having a joint meal in sullen silence or worse. Nobody ever died or got divorced because twice a year they ate a yuntif meal separately. Yeesh.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 10:02 am
amother Slateblue wrote:
I think we win award for latest/longest davening. Around 6. Chassidish shul in Brooklyn.

I grew up with my father getting home really late on Rosh Hashana and we didn’t really eat with him.
The men had a break in the early noon time they went and made kiddush and ate , while the women went to shul for an all womens shofar blowing , then the women came back home and men went back to shul . Women and kids made kiddush and ate when hungry . Men came home around mincha time , gobbled down a meal and ran back to shul .
Therefore when I hear about men going to Uman and people getting all upset that Rosh Hashana is for family time , I think about how my father was home but always in shul , so what’s the difference? Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur are days to daven. The women and children enjoy Yom Tov too for all those that are worried .
Many people don’t do tashlich on Rosh Hashana . They do it during the Aseres Yemei Tshuva.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 10:05 am
amother Moonstone wrote:
Wow, a lot of horrendous-ing here. It's two meals a year for gosh sakes. It's a lot more horrendous for me to sit around starving and growing ever more resentful and then having a joint meal in sullen silence or worse. Nobody ever died or got divorced because twice a year they ate a yuntif meal separately. Yeesh.

No one ever died or got divorced because two times a year they waited a while for their menfolk to come home and eat a seudah with them.
TBF, my response was to snapdragon, she doesn't get to decide what's horrendous.
We all need to do what works for our families, finito.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 10:18 am
I’d also like to point out that in Chasidish shuls there is a lot of yotzros that are said that other shuls don’t say or daven . This in itself makes Davening much longer . You can’t compare a minyan that davens Ashkenaz let’s say to a Chasidish Davening with all the yotzros. I’ve done both .

amother
DarkRed

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 10:20 am
amother Mauve wrote:
I grew up with my father getting home really late on Rosh Hashana and we didn’t really eat with him.
The men had a break in the early noon time they went and made kiddush and ate , while the women went to shul for an all womens shofar blowing , then the women came back home and men went back to shul . Women and kids made kiddush and ate when hungry . Men came home around mincha time , gobbled down a meal and ran back to shul .
Therefore when I hear about men going to Uman and people getting all upset that Rosh Hashana is for family time , I think about how my father was home but always in shul , so what’s the difference? Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur are days to daven. The women and children enjoy Yom Tov too for all those that are worried .
Many people don’t do tashlich on Rosh Hashana . They do it during the Aseres Yemei Tshuva.

I don’t wash for a meal before the men come home, but I practically eat a meal in bits and pieces till they come home- yet more than ready and hungry againto sit and have a regular seudah 6pm.
And agree about R’H not being about the meal- but the davening. And also don’t look it as being terrible if men go away for y’t. (Though my husband has never been away for R’H, he does daven in a different city on Y’K and I feel like there’s no point in traveling along, though I have the option- as I won’t be seeing him anyway, other than maybe 11pm-12am when he comes home from shul y’k night, tor the few min I may see him early morn before he leaves back to shul).

tweety1

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 10:21 am
To all non chasidim out there, we are very used to this day. We are extremely used to the fact that the men come home at 4 or even 5/6 in the afternoon. We grew up like this since birth. In fact, if my husband's shul were to finish at 2 I'd raise my eyebrows and ask what happened. Were extremely skilled in finding ways how to entertain the little kids and what to feed them till the meal. We are in fact perfectly OK.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 10:24 am
amother DarkRed wrote:
I don’t wash for a meal before the men come home, but I practically eat a meal in bits and pieces till they come home- yet more than ready and hungry againto sit and have a regular seudah 6pm.
And agree about R’H not being about the meal- but the davening. And also don’t look it as being terrible if men go away for y’t. (Though my husband has never been away for R’H, he does daven in a different city on Y’K and I feel like there’s no point in traveling along, though I have the option- as I won’t be seeing him anyway, other than maybe 11pm-12am when he comes home from shul y’k night, tor the few min I may see him early morn before he leaves back to shul).

I do the same .

amother
DarkRed

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 10:27 am
tweety1 wrote:
To all non chasidim out there, we are very used to this day. We are extremely used to the fact that the men come home at 4 or even 5/6 in the afternoon. We grew up like this since birth. In fact, if my husband's shul were to finish at 2 I'd raise my eyebrows and ask what happened. Were extremely skilled in finding ways how to entertain the little kids and what to feed them till the meal. We are in fact perfectly OK.

And the beauty of walking down 14th or new Utrecht ave around 5:30 and seeing the men leave shul in a derhuibana mode, and the women with the veisa tichlech rushing ahead to check on the food Smile

amother
Celeste

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 10:38 am
We start at 7:30 and end at about 4:30. Kiddush before tekios. I didn't grow up like this but now I can't imagine any other way. Litvish yeshiva.

amother
Ballota

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 10:41 am
amother Babypink wrote:
You don't eat together with your husband or as a family? That's horrendous.

Nothing horrendous about our Rosh Hashanah.
The first night meal is always special. Everyone gets to stay up and loves dipping the homemade challa and apples in honey. We have a n old silver honey dish and often various arts and crafts honey dishes. Everyone gets to try the different simanim and gets a sliver of fish head if they’re feeling brave.
Dh gets home very late during the day. By then everyone ate but we all join him at the table for hamotzi and more challa with honey. Anyone who wants gets to eat something with him or run off and play. Everyone finds their way back to the table for dessert and benching.
The next two meals are a repeat but the second night a lot of people are asleep or sleepy.
I don’t know why everyone guessing which chassidim got home so late didn’t mention Belz. It has to be Belz.
Shana Tova!

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 10:48 am
tweety1 wrote:

Love the way you put it down. We don’t need anyone’s pity, we’re doing very well thank you very much. It’s all a matter of what you’re used to. Non Jewish people can’t understand how we refrain from doing so many things on shabbos/yom tov. It’s a way of life and I love it. Wouldn’t trade it for anything!

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 10:51 am
amother NeonBlue wrote:
The chassidishe shuls in Brooklyn that don’t finish until very late, are also starting late too.

Can you back this up with a name of a shul?

Satmar BP starts at either 730 or 8 (I forgot) and ends at 4:30/5.
Even the shuls that start 930 on a regular shabbos start early Rosh Hashanah and yom kippur.
Every large, respected shul starts early. Rachmastrivk, bobov, belz etc
Another vote than no, chasidish men do not eat before davening.

BH Yom Yom

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 11:18 am
We finish on Tzom Gedalia.

KIDDING. 😜

Around 2:30-2:45 pm.

amother
DarkRed

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 11:24 am
BH Yom Yom wrote:
We finish on Tzom Gedalia.

KIDDING. 😜

Around 2:30-2:45 pm.

Love this!
It’s like when the kids have a contest whose Seder finished the latest! “Oh, ours finished chol hamoed LOL
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur