Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Chabad Niagara chol hamoed Sukkos
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 3:51 pm
Have you eaten in their restaurants on chol hamoed Sukkos?
Is there enough food? Is it organized? What’s the quality of food and what’s the general experience like?
Is there a Niagara WhatsApp group?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 12 2023, 4:33 pm
Bump

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Sep 12 2023, 5:28 pm
I used to own the dairy restaurant and the man who ran meat is actually running both.

I would say that he has taken the organizational aspects of it to a high level.

The rabbi, not sure if he’s doing Shabbat or not also takes things to a high level.

No matter what though you should understand that Niagara Falls is a place where there’s no other kosher food, where it’s extremely expensive to get product and where people (guests) can be, well, less than genteel.

I was in the meat restaurant this summer and visited the dairy side as well and the organization and thoughtfulness that had gone into both was outstanding. This summer they also had wood fired pizza outside the restaurant not sure if it will be there but also exceptional. The teamwork in this Chabad house is major. Everyone knows that the mutual success is reliant on team work.

Niagara Falls is a VERY difficult place to be a frum jew and rabbi ZALTZMAN does everything possible to make it better. When you go, please remember derech eretz. Thank you!.

If you’re

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 12 2023, 5:34 pm
Chana Miriam S wrote:
I used to own the dairy restaurant and the man who ran meat is actually running both.

I would say that he has taken the organizational aspects of it to a high level.

The rabbi, not sure if he’s doing Shabbat or not also takes things to a high level.

No matter what though you should understand that Niagara Falls is a place where there’s no other kosher food, where it’s extremely expensive to get product and where people (guests) can be, well, less than genteel.

I was in the meat restaurant this summer and visited the dairy side as well and the organization and thoughtfulness that had gone into both was outstanding. This summer they also had wood fired pizza outside the restaurant not sure if it will be there but also exceptional. The teamwork in this Chabad house is major. Everyone knows that the mutual success is reliant on team work.

Niagara Falls is a VERY difficult place to be a frum jew and rabbi ZALTZMAN does everything possible to make it better. When you go, please remember derech eretz. Thank you!.

If you’re
wow thank you. First of all, you finish the last sentence I am curious.
Second if all, any tips? Do you mean that people are pushy in line? Also- Is there no local No Frills to buy snacks and fruits?
I am signed up for a room with them and don’t fully understand how the sukkah and meals will work. If I bring my own food do I have access to the sukkah?

amother
Obsidian

Post Tue, Sep 12 2023, 6:50 pm
Food Fest

Dates: Monday, Oct 2 – Thursday, Oct 5
Hours: All day (8:30AM – 10:00PM)
Location: Jewish Welcome Center: 6417 Main St, Niagara Falls Canada.
A massive Sukkah available for your convenience. (this sukkah is separate from Chabad’s public sukkah that will be open 24 hours a day.)
Menu: The Food fest is composed of independent vendors that will be selling everything from fast food to gourmet food options, serving breakfast, lunch and dinner, as well as pastries, snacks, candy and desserts.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 12 2023, 7:23 pm
amother Obsidian wrote:
Food Fest

Dates: Monday, Oct 2 – Thursday, Oct 5
Hours: All day (8:30AM – 10:00PM)
Location: Jewish Welcome Center: 6417 Main St, Niagara Falls Canada.
A massive Sukkah available for your convenience. (this sukkah is separate from Chabad’s public sukkah that will be open 24 hours a day.)
Menu: The Food fest is composed of independent vendors that will be selling everything from fast food to gourmet food options, serving breakfast, lunch and dinner, as well as pastries, snacks, candy and desserts.
I saw this and don’t understand. Prob a lot of overpriced food for all of us tourists?

amother
Obsidian

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 1:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
I saw this and don’t understand. Prob a lot of overpriced food for all of us tourists?

What part don't you understand? Assume yes, it will be pricey. Its only overpriced if there are other cheaper options for prepared food - which there are not. Niagara Falls does not have a full time frum community.

amother
Blushpink

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 3:54 pm
I've never been on sukkos, bu we went to niagara falls for chol hamoed pesach a few years ago and ate at chabad. We booked the hotel through them and signed up for supper and breakfast meals. It was really well run and not pushy at all. Rabbi Zaltzman and all the staff were all helpful and knew what they were doing, there was a constant turnover of families for the supper but no long waits.

I don't know how they will serve on sukkos. When we went, once we were seated we first washed and there was unlimited matza. Then there was a set menu with a few choices that every family member could choose, and the food was served plated like in a restaurant course by course.

Breakfast was sort of israeli breakfast style, a large buffet and an egg station. Again it was really calm and not chaotic at all.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 7:47 pm
amother Obsidian wrote:
What part don't you understand? Assume yes, it will be pricey. It’s only overpriced if there are other cheaper options for prepared food - which there are not. Niagara Falls does not have a full time frum community.
I understand
fest implies it’s a food festival showcasing stuff etc
It’s simply selling food to tourists
Nothing wrong with that

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 7:47 pm
Thanks!

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 8:21 pm
amother OP wrote:

You can always pack up your own food and bring…
This is how chabad makes money to support their kiruv efforts year round.

Gerbera

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 9:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
wow thank you. First of all, you finish the last sentence I am curious.
Second if all, any tips? Do you mean that people are pushy in line? Also- Is there no local No Frills to buy snacks and fruits?
I am signed up for a room with them and don’t fully understand how the sukkah and meals will work. If I bring my own food do I have access to the sukkah?

Yup, there's a No Frills. There is no shortage of kosher food - just not prepared food but we are always visiting and travelling to places without kosher restaurants - there IS plenty available at No Frills. If you are looking for CY that is a different story.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 10:37 pm
amother OP wrote:

It’s not overpriced considering what it costs to do it there.

Let’s put it this way. In Toronto, to get free delivery from the CHA Lav Yisrael dairy company I was using, you woukd need a minimum order of $500 or even less because so much stuff going there. To Niagara Falls it was more like $3000 order or again, ridiculous delivery fees. Literally everything kosher has to be brought in.

Yes there’s Walmart and no frills but to find much more than tuna and Philly cream cheese? Forget it.

This restaurant does not even exist after Labour Day except chol hamoed . They have to have staff who can handle everything and it costs money to support a building where there are twenty min yans a day.

You don’t want to pay? Bring your own. Oh, you need a Sukkah? What t do you suppose it cost to erect a gigantic sukkah and keep it clean ( because people are NOT cleaning their mess up) or even if they did, just the amount of garbage that has to be controlled?

There are zero frum families in Niagara Falls. The shluchim program fir $500 non religious families in an area that has borders that would take you hours to cover the perimeter.

They aren’t ripping you off, they’re making it possible for you to have a vacation. You just have no idea what that costs in Niagara.

amother
Obsidian

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 10:41 pm
amother OP wrote:
I understand
fest implies it’s a food festival showcasing stuff etc
It’s simply selling food to tourists
Nothing wrong with that

It’s vendors coming to sell food to the crowd coming for chol homoed. Organized by Chabad. Not sure why you are being so cynical.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 11:33 pm
amother Obsidian wrote:
It’s vendors coming to sell food to the crowd coming for chol homoed. Organized by Chabad. Not sure why you are being so cynical.
ok wasn’t trying to be cynical I misunderstood
I saw it originally and thought it was being highlighted as entertainment like kosher expo
I understand the advantages it’s no fun vacationing without kosher food I jus hadn’t understood at first what it was

amother
Obsidian

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 2:37 am
amother OP wrote:
ok wasn’t trying to be cynical I misunderstood
I saw it originally and thought it was being highlighted as entertainment like kosher expo
I understand the advantages it’s no fun vacationing without kosher food I jus hadn’t understood at first what it was

I hope you enjoy your time in Niagara Falls!’

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Sep 25 2023, 9:52 pm
does anyone know if the waterpark will be rented out for just frum ppl? separate hours for boys and girls?

doctorima

Post Mon, Sep 25 2023, 11:28 pm
amother Violet wrote:
does anyone know if the waterpark will be rented out for just frum ppl? separate hours for boys and girls?

Yes, they're having hours for men and women on both Tuesday and Wednesday. Details on the Chabad sukkos page.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 12:29 am
Please expect lots of people which means long lines and long wait times to be seated and perhaps food shortages. Succos is nothing like pesach when most people don’t eat outside food.

amother
Peony

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 12:52 pm
Any sukkas on the American side?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics