Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
It’s September 11 today…
1  2  3  4  Next

doodlesmom

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 9:30 pm
Just had to make sure there’s at least 1 thread on here to remember that horrific day…

Am I the only one who makes sure to read, hear, or talk about what happened on the anniversary?

animeme

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 9:33 pm
I used to. For many, many years. Today I realized an hour ago that I hadn't thought about it. I think that's healthier for me. I spent too many years watchhing videos for ages and reliving it all.

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 9:36 pm
Many members are too young to have memories.

exaustedmom

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 9:37 pm
We should not forget. Thanks for posting.

doodlesmom

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 9:44 pm
Interesting to note…the highest point a firefighter reached that day was the 78th floor or so-they found a stairwell that survived, and we’re going to rescue those stranded above the crash site…..and then the tower collapsed.

In the other tower- I believe the North-all stairwells we’re immediately destroyed on impact, so there was never hope for those above the crash site…

Lets Talk

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 9:47 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
Just had to make sure there’s at least 1 thread on here to remember that horrific day…

Am I the only one who makes sure to read, hear, or talk about what happened on the anniversary?

🤔

Mommyflower

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 9:48 pm
I have a very clear memory of that day. I was sitting with a friend having coffee while we waited for our preschoolers to finish their half day of school. It was an Israeli cafe in one of the 5 boroughs, so the news was on and we heard reports of both planes hitting. We went outside bewildered and tried to figure out the best thing to do. People were running down the streets crying and screaming. Frankly, it was terrifying. I kept wracking my brain trying to think if I knew people who worked there. We went back to school, grabbed our kids and took other children who were unable to get home to Manhattan because the bridges were closed. Later, my dh and fil who had meetings right near the WTC were able to make it to our house. The news just became worse and worse. School was closed for several days and we all walked around in utter sadness. There was a naive sense of safety in the US that was shattered that day. For months, Manhattan was covered with posters of people looking for lost loved ones. It was so heartbreaking and it continues to be for those families, many of whom now have grown children.

doodlesmom

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 9:49 pm
The Boatlift of 9/11 was the largest water rescue operation/evacuation in American history.

Very interesting documentary about it, and all the volunteers who came with their vessels.

Queen Of Hearts

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 9:52 pm
I'll never forget being in my classroom (as a student) and hearing the news. We were dismissed early.
There was a cloud of gloom and doom hanging over all of us.
The radio at our house was on non-stop. We were trying to glean any info we could get.
My kids learn it in history. We lived it!

silverlining3

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 9:54 pm
September 11 2001, I was 9 years old and in 4th grade.

I will never forget the site of many teachers coming to our classroom to watch the blaring fire and thick black smoke. Wide eyed and mouths agape.

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 9:56 pm
People felt that an all out war, like WW III,

Was breaking out!

Parents ran to get their kids from school, in case the
Family had to immediately flee.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 9:58 pm
I did think about it for a moment today . But honestly I try not to think about it . It’s very traumatizing for me , I remember it like yesterday . My kids were discussing it with me on Shabbos and it was an interesting conversation but at want point I startled choking up so I kind of ended the conversation.

doodlesmom

The helplessness of the jumpers…..iykyk.

Mommyflower

Could you see it from your classroom or did they have the news on? How did the teachers explain what had happened to the children? We struggled with how to tell our children who were a number of years younger than you at the time.

I also remember the feeling that Best Bubby is describing. We had no idea what to do and we were fearful of what would happen next. This lasted for much more than a few days.

Last edited by Mommyflower on Mon, Sep 11 2023, 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Blessing1

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 9:59 pm
I was a teen. I was able to see the towers clearly from my bedroom window. I'll never forget the explosion and deadly silence as the crowds gathered on the street shell shocked and watched in a trance what's happening. I'll never forget the sight of hordes of people running for their lives on the Williamsburg brige. I watch the video of the crash every year and cry. My father is a paramedic and went to the site. He was gone all day and all night. We waited in panic till he made it home, filthy from head to toe.
That day will never leave my mind.

Blessing1

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 9:59 pm
doodlesmom wrote:

Yes. The jumpers. I saw them clearly. Horrific. Traumatic. Out of a horror movie.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 10:00 pm
doodlesmom wrote:

Those memories are what gets me sobbing every time . My brain can’t handle it .

doodlesmom

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 10:00 pm
We didn’t see the actual crash from our classroom window, because we were otw to school/auditorium but we did see the huge gap in the skyline when we arrived to our classroom, all of a sudden, and all the debris…

Marathon

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 10:01 pm
I don't remember much except we lost an uncle in the towers

Blessing1

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 10:01 pm
Heavy smoke covered the city for days. It looked like a war.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics