Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Your Dream Kitchen
1  2  Next

speciwoman

Post Mon, Jul 21 2008, 2:48 pm
So right now we live in a rented apartment, but I like to dream of the day we will B"H own our own house. Perhaps we will even be able to design the kitchen of our dreams...

That being said, if you could design the kitchen of your dreams, money and space not being an issue, what would it contain? Two ovens, two dishwashers, etc etc etc. Be specific as possible...I'm trying to imagine exactly how to do it (so I can keep it in mind for when the moment actually arrives....)

Dream on, ladies.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Jul 21 2008, 2:53 pm
Like you said, 2 ovens, 2 sinks, plenty of counter space. A HUGE fridge and freezer. A large dinette area. An island and attached to the island is space to eat with stools. A walk-in pantry, garbage disposal in the sinks, a specific place for a garbage can. There's probably so much more, but I'll probably think of it in my dreams Confused .
A cousin of mine moved into a house that I heard is amazing, but the think that I remember the most is that by the stove is a faucet so they don't have to fill pots up by the sink and then shlep it to the oven. They could fill it up there.

DREAMING

Post Wed, Jul 23 2008, 2:14 pm
vending machines!

LOL

soldat

Post Wed, Jul 23 2008, 2:16 pm
self cleaning!!! (no, not just the oven, the whole thing)

zigi

Post Wed, Jul 23 2008, 2:19 pm
3 ovens. I like to bake, 2 microwaves 2 stovetops, a full size freezer and a full size fridge. 3 sinks and plenty of countertops, and a pantry area. I like the pot filler faucet idea. I would like it connected to a family room, a trash compacter, a place for recyling,

speciwoman

Post Wed, Jul 23 2008, 3:33 pm
What kinds of ovens and stoves? Gas? Electric? What makes kashrut the easiest?

zigi

Post Wed, Jul 23 2008, 3:37 pm
if you are buying new, kashrus doesn't matter, I guess gas stoves, thats the kinds of stoves I had since I got married. ovens I have no idea what is better. wait I guess gas stoves if you want to kasher them for pesach you can get new grates. but then if it was a dream kitchen and I had the money I would have a seperate pesach kitchen,

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Jul 23 2008, 3:37 pm
Lots of counterspace, 2 ovens, 2 microwaves, 2 dishwashers, 2 sinks. More space for a couple recycling bins.

We just redid our kitchen, and while I like it a lot, there was only so much we could do with the space available.

momto7

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 1:33 pm
Every kitchen gadget imagineable.

HooRYou

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 1:51 pm
zigi, I also dream about a PEsach kitchen and sometimes when I remodel my apartment in my mind I turn my bathroom into one (in my no budget dream remodel we build another 2 bathrooms upstairs and a toilet remins downstairs).

I can never decide if my dream kitchen has 3 sinks or not. I relaly need them since half of my kitchen and my main stove is pareve, but then I would have to wash 3 sinks of dishes.

momto7

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 1:56 pm
wouldn't you have three dishwashers?

dora

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 2:01 pm
my dream kitchen would come with someone that choppes the veggies and cleans up.

HooRYou

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 2:12 pm
I never had a dishwasher, even growing up. Also, if I had 3 I can't imagine ever being able to fill them. BTW, do people put their mixing bowls, pots, gadets and small kitchen appliance parts (parts for mixers, food processors, etc) in the dishwasher? If not what do you need them for?

momto7

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 3:13 pm
I dont have a dishwasher. I wish I would. I love making messes in the kitchen.

Alef Bais

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 6:41 pm
2 sinks (if not 3) on separate counters. 2 ovens. Lots of counter and cabinet space. And dishwashers.

Seriously though, my dream kitchen would prepare suppers and clean up all by itself!!!

Atali

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 6:47 pm
speciwoman wrote:

I personally prefer electric. I think they are safer and heat food more evenly. I would say to speak to people who have both and see what they say.

mummy-bh

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 7:03 pm
Atali wrote:
speciwoman wrote:

I personally prefer electric. I think they are safer and heat food more evenly. I would say to speak to people who have both and see what they say.
And I prefer gas stoves!
I think it's easier kashrus-wise (not sure, you'd obviously have to ask if any issues arose)
Gas is easier to control - far quicker to respond to raising or lowering the temperature than electric.

Falafel

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 10:10 pm
most definitely 3 sinks, actually, make that 4. the 4th would be on a center island (hand washing/ veggie washing station Smile)
extreme amounts of counter space, 1/4 of the room for each side (fleish, milchig and pareve)
2 electric ovens each for fleish and milchig, one for pareve - each of these would be installed into the wall
GAS stove-top for each, with industrial size-yet silent- ventilators
huge fridge, separate huge freezer (I like to make and freeze) - I like the kind that are built into the counter tops, they look like any random drawer but they are actually freezers!! the same for garbages, and dishwashers.
no need for microwaves. hiding spots under the counters for appliances ie kitchen aids! a sort of apparatus that will bring it up from under the counter with a swing-like motion, and could be swung back to be put back under the counter.
lots of cabinet space, something for spices that I could see (and reach) them all. would probably end up being under the counter.

large windows on the 1/4 wall that doesn't have counters, where there would be a large table for the "breakfast area", with the windows overlooking a beautiful antique styled veranda (overlooking a large backyard, pool?, lots of trees and privacy)
lots and lots of lights (with lots of switches!)!! I don't want to have a whole bright kitchen when I come down at 1am for a snack :>

ArthurDent

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 10:36 pm
Most of everything said above.

I love the idea of a walk-pantry that would fit also an extra freezer (or a 2nd fridge). Granite (or other stone) countertops which would make kashering easier. But be careful, recently ppl have found that the more exotic sources for granite countertops ended up giving off radon, which is carcinogenic.

My MIL has sink faucets where the spout comes out of the faucet tube so that you can pull it down and hose down the countertops or to clean large pots and pans. It also has a spray handle which you can squeeze which will make the water pressure really high to spray off all that grime. I like that idea.

My understanding is that most chefs prefer electric ovens, b/c they heat more evenly.

I like the idea of a gas stove, though, b/c you can turn the flame on or high and low (without turning it off). You can't do that with an electric stove unless you can tell whether or not an electrical current is flowing at the moment, which most indicator lights don't tell you (indicator lights on electric stoves only tell you if the burner is on or off). This way, for 3 day yontiffs, you can leave the stove off until you really need it and after you're done using it, you can turn the flame down low so that you don't overheat your house.

I would want lots of under the counter lighting and windows over both sinks so that I can see my kids playing in the backyard while washing dishes.

I want lots of closed cabinet space -- I don't like the look of open shelves b/c then all your things get dusty.

I love the idea of an island as a workspace on one end and the other end is a tabletop/eating area with barstools.

I saw an ikea catalog where there was actually a little window nook with a bed and lots of pillows in the kitchen. Since the kitchen is a gathering area for so many families, I like the idea that there are comfortable seats too for someone who wants to lay and schmooze with me while I cook.

I'm sure there's more. But that's it for now.

Falafel

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 10:47 pm
forgot to add that I want a separate room with lock on the door as a pesach kitchen. it would also have 2 ovens, a separate walk-in pantry, 4 sinks, lots of counter space!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen