Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Question about pet ownership in a rental (Israel)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 4:45 am
Do I need permission from my landlord to have a pet (such as a cat)?
I don't think there's anything in the contract about it and I would prefer not to ask.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 4:56 am
My amateur advice:

Read the contract again to make sure it doesn't say anything about animals. If it doesn't, then IMO having a reasonable pet should be okay without asking permission. Reasonable meaning -- not 8 cats, not a dog whose barking will annoy the neighbors, not an unneuteted pet who pees on the walls, etc.

My contract specifically says I may have a dog, but no other pet.

BH Yom Yom

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 5:51 am
I would agree that you should re-read the contract very very carefully. Personally, I would recommend asking the landlord as well in case they object. Whatever you do, please don’t adopt a cat and then (if the landlord finds out and says you’re not allowed to have a pet) abandon the cat, that’s really not OK. I’m not saying you personally would do that. I volunteer in cat rescue and we see this happen constantly where people got a pet, their landlord or family member or whoever objects, and then they dump the cat instead of going through proper channels to try to rehome the cat appropriately.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 5:56 am
For sure you need to ask. What will you do if it scratches the furniture or leaves stains on the carpet? Are you planning on denying it or will you take responsibility? If I was your landlord and a tenant hid something like a pet I wouldn’t want to renew your lease.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 6:43 am
notshanarishona wrote:
For sure you need to ask. What will you do if it scratches the furniture or leaves stains on the carpet? Are you planning on denying it or will you take responsibility? If I was your landlord and a tenant hid something like a pet I wouldn’t want to renew your lease.

The furniture is mine and there isn't any carpet.
But I get it!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette