Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Need a tried and true recipe for 6 lb bag white spelt flour

artsy

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 4:21 pm
Making challah and need very tried and true recipe-prefer no white sugar if possible

artsy

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 12:14 am
Bump

chava101

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 1:16 am
My recipe calls for White sugar - it's my regular challah recipe, I used to substitute sugar for Xylitol I don't remember if I tried spelt and xylitol together.

5 Tablespoons Dry yeast diluted in 2 cups warm water and 1 1/4 cups sugar

Once the yeast activates I put it in the bowl with 3/4 cups oil, 4 Eggs and slowly incorporate the flour with an additional 4 cups water very slowly alternating - takes approx 10 minutes. Add 2 T salt. I let it beat for an additional 10-15 min. I let the dough rise for not more than 20 minutes, braid, rise another few minutes, egg it, bake on 180 for approx 10 minutes until it almost reaches the size I prefer, put the oven on 400 until it gets a nice color and put it down to 330 for approx 10 min until it's done.

It's very important not to overwork the dough when you roll/braid it. Spelt needs a bit more tender care.

5 T dry yeast
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 cups water

4 eggs
3/4 cup oil
4 cups water
6 lb flour
2 T salt

cheese cake

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 1:28 am
I like to use the one that’s written on the bag of the Grain Brain flour bag. It calls for sugar but I leave it out and it’s just fine. It also uses spelt dough conditioner which gives it a great texture but you can leave that out too if you don’t have.

meeze

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 8:15 am
5 pound flour
3 tablespoons salt
3 oz fresh yeast in 1.5 cups warm water plus 3/4 cup honey . Let sit for 25 minutes
1 cup oil
Another 2.5 cups warm water
4 eggs

In mixer for 7 minutes on medium speed
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads