Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Can I freeze whole raw carrots?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 4:38 pm
I received a few bags of carrots from a food distribution. I don't need all of them now and I don't have time to bake cakes and muffins with carrots.

I was thinking of peeling them and freezing them.whole and then taking out a few every week for the gefilte fish and chicken soup.

will this work?

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 4:39 pm
I’ve had carrots freeze in my fridge when someone accidentally changed the temp… it did not look good.

mha3484

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 4:42 pm
Carrots can last a few weeks in the fridge. I think up to a month. If you think you can use them within that time I wouldnt worry about freezing.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 4:44 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Carrots can last a few weeks in the fridge. I think up to a month. If you think you can use them within that time I wouldnt worry about freezing.

Oh ok. I can definitely use some over the next few weeks but not all.

If they feel wet should I dry them with paper towels? And should I keep them in the original bags they came in or take them out?

Highstrung

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 4:45 pm
I think it’s fine if you use it for soups, kugels, and cooked dishes . Not sure if the texture will be good to eat raw once frozen

mha3484

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 4:46 pm
I make roasted carrot fries as a side dish. Its always a big hit and can easily use a 2lb bag of carrots.

amother
Moccasin

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 5:25 pm
You can shred and freeze for a while.
Then use in cooking

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 5:26 pm
I chop and freeze for soups. I don't know about freezing whole though.

baltomom

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 5:51 pm
Once when I had a lot of extra carrots I peeled, cut in chunks, and froze in small ziploc bags. Then I took out bags from the freezer and dumped them into soups. They worked find for that but I can imagine might not be good for roasted veggies and things like that.

zaq

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 7:11 pm
Don't freeze them whole. Cut them into chunks about an inch long, then throw them still frozen into your soup or tzimmes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics