Home
Log in / Sign Up
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
At what age should women wear shorter shaitels/hair?
Previous  1  2



Post new topic   Reply to topic View latest: 24h 48h 72h



Never. Wear whatever you think looks good.
40 should be a cut-off age.  
 10%  [ 10 ]
45 should be a cut-off age.  
 9%  [ 9 ]
Over 50 should be a cut-off age.  
 35%  [ 33 ]
Never, wear whatever you think looks good  
 44%  [ 41 ]
Total Votes : 93



Newcastle




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 5:39 pm
I actually appreciate the poll, since I’m at the upper end of this age range, and have been wondering the same (for myself, not regarding others).
Though I do think 40 is too young to be an age listed on this poll. To paraphrase what “they say”: 40 is the new 30.
Back to top

lamplighter




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 5:42 pm
Appropriate like tznius wise or fashion wise?

I do think that there is an age at which long hair or shaitels looks off to me. Not sure why exactly.
Back to top

Tzedek Tirdof




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 5:57 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Yes, you did and do have an extreme reaction and I’ll reiterate that I never expressed my opinion either way so I’m not sure why you chose to attack me.

Your answer should’ve just been the first, and then you could’ve moved on.

My mistake that the first isn’t coming through as a poll option, but you can clearly see that was my intention and it won’t allow me to now edit and add it.

I didn’t clearly see it as your intention because it wasn’t on your poll. Hopefully it can be fixed though and I am glad it is an option.

I could move on, but since it is MY age and hair being talked about on here, I can also defend my personal choice if I like. My reaction is not extreme at all. I stand by what I said, that this is a superficial topic to be speaking about at this time of year. I am attacking the purpose of the poll. You may not have expressed your opinion, but you did construct the poll.
Back to top

Cheiny




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 6:31 pm
Tzedek Tirdof wrote:
I didn’t clearly see it as your intention because it wasn’t on your poll. .


So why did you write the following earlier?

“ The option for “Never. Wear whatever you think looks good” is not working so I have reported the post to get it fixed.”
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 6:35 pm
Cheiny wrote:
So why did you write the following earlier?

“ The option for “Never. Wear whatever you think looks good” is not working so I have reported the post to get it fixed.”

That sentence seems to have been placed above the poll, not as a poll option.
Back to top

Tzedek Tirdof




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 3:39 pm
gootlfriends wrote:
I happen to think the very long sheitels are obscene on everyone. But past the shoulder to chest area is ok until 50 I would say. On older women it looks silly. I generally wear shoulder length and I am 34.

Neither my hair nor my sheitels are “very long” but they are both longer than my shoulders as I like it that way. And I don’t look “silly” at all.
Back to top

Tzedek Tirdof




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 3:42 pm
lamplighter wrote:
Appropriate like tznius wise or fashion wise?

I do think that there is an age at which long hair or shaitels looks off to me. Not sure why exactly.

What do you mean by “off” in this context? You would look at me in Shul and instead of davening you would think “ooh there is a 50-something with longer hair, that is very off!”
Back to top

Tzedek Tirdof




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 3:45 pm
ra_mom wrote:
That sentence seems to have been placed above the poll, not as a poll option.

It seems to have been added now as a fourth option.
Back to top

lamplighter




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 4:30 pm
Most women over 50 or 60 or whatever have shorter hair. An older woman with a long shaitel seems unusual or like "trying too hard".
I don't have a number or cut off, it's just a personal opinion.
Back to top

Tzedek Tirdof




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 6:43 pm
lamplighter wrote:
Most women over 50 or 60 or whatever have shorter hair. An older woman with a long shaitel seems unusual or like "trying too hard".
I don't have a number or cut off, it's just a personal opinion.

Hah! I am not trying at all, let alone too hard! 😂
Back to top

nechamashifra




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 7:12 pm
I don't think long is inappropriate but I do find shorter wigs (shoulder length or shorter lobs) more flattering for the over 40s 50s. It's like an instant face lift.

Last edited by nechamashifra on Thu, Sep 21 2023, 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

ap




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 7:22 pm
Where's the option for bas mitzvah?
Back to top

QUEENY




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 7:43 pm
Im in my late 40's K'h..all my wigs are past shoulder length. TO be honest, I probably wont ever go short, I don't look good in them, it doesn't suit my shape face. I did recently go from wearing a Fall full time to a full shaitel full time bc I felt I outgrew the headband falls.
Back to top

(:momoftwo:)




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 8:55 pm
In today’s generation, 50 and even 60 year olds still have high school age kids and are still dressing trendy and stylish. With that look, the longer shaitel fits right in.

Todays “older generation” is usually 65+, when they start dressing much more conservative. A shorter shaitel looks more appropriate.

Picture someone in shul dressed as a “Bubby” (black tweed suit jacket with the matching skirt, comfortable shoes and stockings)…now picture a long wig on her head…
Back to top

ima_bima




 
 
    
 

Post Fri, Sep 22 2023, 1:02 am
According to my (Lubavitch) Rav (and he's not alone, also Rav Ashkenazi said the same thing) a sheitel shouldn't be longer than shoulder length. Age isn't a factor. Tznius is for everyone.

In EY charedi circles, young girls with hair beyond shoulder length should tie back their hair. My dd is in a chabad school and they are very strict on this. I wish the teachers would also be makpid on this to set an example, what what can you do. You can only change yourself.
Back to top

ap




 
 
    
 

Post Fri, Sep 22 2023, 1:07 am
ima_bima wrote:
According to my (Lubavitch) Rav (and he's not alone, also Rav Ashkenazi said the same thing) a sheitel shouldn't be longer than shoulder length. Age isn't a factor. Tznius is for everyone.

In EY charedi circles, young girls with hair beyond shoulder length should tie back their hair. My dd is in a chabad school and they are very strict on this. I wish the teachers would also be makpid on this to set an example, what what can you do. You can only change yourself.

Same where I grew up..
I was with litvish and Chassidish girls
The standards are slipping bit
Back to top
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics




Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions

Related Topics Replies Last Post
What does toddler wear under this
by amother
11 Yesterday at 1:54 pm View last post
What can they wear to the wedding??
by amother
1 Thu, Feb 22 2024, 4:11 pm View last post
Need laser hair removal recommendations
by amother
7 Thu, Feb 22 2024, 9:56 am View last post
2 year old pulling out her hair
by amother
2 Wed, Feb 21 2024, 2:06 am View last post
Do you dye you white hair out of the wig
by amother
4 Tue, Feb 20 2024, 7:19 pm View last post