Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Does your child under 10 use a car seat/ booster
1  2  3  4  Next

6000miles

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 6:27 pm
Lately, I’ve been seeing lots of people posting videos driving or seeing cars in the street and the little kids are not in car seats and it freaks me out!!!! Do most people not use car seats or booster seats for their kids like age 3 till 10? I feel like it’s a Frum Jewish thing… No judgement, but it’s not safe!!!!!!

amother
Buttercup

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 6:31 pm
Booster until age 8 in NJ I believe my kids are short so it’s important for me to follow this

amother
Zinnia

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 6:32 pm
Um the law is not 10
It’s either 8 or 80 pounds
And no, once my kids are in 1st or second grade they don’t use a booster, and my kids are pretty tall

amother
NeonBlue

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 6:37 pm
Absolutely. If your child does not pass the the 5 step test they are not safe in a car accident. I personally don't play with my children's lives. There is a solution to keep them safe, they make car seats and boosters for all kids that need them. It is our responsibility. I get so angry every time I hear a child was injured for incorrect car seat/ seat belt. https://csftl.org/the-five-step-test/

amother
Clear

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 6:39 pm
It’s age 12 or 135cm in the Uk- whichever comes first.

Unless for irregular journeys like in a short taxi ride in which case you can just strap them in the seat.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 6:40 pm
I use boosters until they can comfortably use the shoulder belt without it digging into their neck/chin. My kids are big and tall for their age so that's what I go by.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 6:42 pm
My 8 year old is super short and still in a booster. 3.5 year old is also short and still in a car seat. But I do feel like an anomaly. I think that people with lots of little kids don't have space for all those boosters and car seats. But still not an excuse.

amother
Impatiens

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 6:43 pm
I went by size & weight using boosters, even though others didn't, not when dc in others carpools & school so closeby, but for sure on highways.
I don't understand why people would only go by age esp if child is petite.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 6:43 pm
amother Zinnia wrote:
Um the law is not 10
It’s either 8 or 80 pounds
And no, once my kids are in 1st or second grade they don’t use a booster, and my kids are pretty tall

Yes they do. No first or second grader can use a seat belt correctly. The law isn't always what's safest.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 6:44 pm
I keep my kids boosted until theyve hit the requirement. But thats in my own car.
Im curious what others do when your kid is joining a carpool, gets a ride etc.
Do you really make them bring a booster seat along?

amother
NeonBlue

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 6:47 pm
amother Razzmatazz wrote:
I keep my kids boosted until theyve hit the requirement. But thats in my own car.
Im curious what others do when your kid is joining a carpool, gets a ride etc.
Do you really make them bring a booster seat along?

Yes I've given car pool car seats and boosters. When it was too inconvenient I didn't join car pools and drove every day.

amother
Zinnia

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 6:47 pm
amother NeonBlue wrote:
Yes they do. No first or second grader can use a seat belt correctly. The law isn't always what's safest.

Yes they do what. I wrote what they do, not what they ideally should do.
They do need to? Great, you try convincing a macho 7 year old who’s friends are never in a booster that he needs it.
In first grade, my kids are 7 (I’ve held most of them back) and very tall so the strap doesn’t touch their neck
By the time they’re in 2nd grade they’re 8 and not required by law anyways

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 6:48 pm
My 10 yo and lower are always in car seats or boosters, but after 8, I'm not makpid in others' cars for short rides. My almost 12 yo is in a bubble bum for longer rides in our car. We're short and safety is important to me but once it gets way past social norms, I need to weigh that in.

gootlfriends

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 6:52 pm
It goes by height or weight. My kids run small so they are in boosters until 9. But for carpool the other kids don't use.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 6:54 pm
amother Zinnia wrote:
Yes they do what. I wrote what they do, not what they ideally should do.
They do need to? Great, you try convincing a macho 7 year old who’s friends are never in a booster that he needs it.
In first grade, my kids are 7 (I’ve held most of them back) and very tall so the strap doesn’t touch their neck
By the time they’re in 2nd grade they’re 8 and not required by law anyways

You are the parent you get to set whatever rules you want

amother
Butterscotch

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 6:59 pm
DD4 is still in her car seat. At what age can I switch her to a booster?

amother
Thistle

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 7:01 pm
amother Butterscotch wrote:

You need to be 40 pounds for a booster.

Elilove

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 7:13 pm
Always did the following. You’re 100% right that it’s not safe how some people put very young children in the car without anything.
Rear facing car seat until around age 2
Forward facing car seat until around age 7
Booster seat until around age 10
I say around because every child height and weight are different.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 7:14 pm
amother Butterscotch wrote:

I'm just moving my 42 lb age child to a booster. Bought one last week. I'm only doing to bec DC age 1 is outgrown the infant seat. I didn't want 2 full sized car seats. A car seat is better for napping, for head support.

To answer op, my oldest is the 4 year old I mentioned, so we are still going strong bh. I haven't really paid attention to what my siblings and friends do.

amother
Tomato

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 7:15 pm
So if you're driving a high school carpool, and my son's friend- a 75lb, 4'4" 15 year old gets in, you'd all insist that he sits in a booster?
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics