Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What’s a career/idea that fits this requirement?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 5:54 am
So I’m at a bit of a crossroads work wise and have been thinking about what I want to do next. Bh it’s not about money so in theory I could even do something voluntarily.

However, I’ve realized that I like to make a difference in people’s lives for the long term - so providing or teaching a skill that really makes a difference for them. In other words, volunteering for meals, driving etc will not fulfil me.

For example, ADHD or executive function coaching - these are things that will help them for life. Or I’ve been thinking about an organization that pairs teens who aren’t doing well in school with local Jewish businesses to give them a job. This will make a difference in the trajectory of these kids lives.

These are the kinds of things that I can see myself getting passionate about.

My background is basically in admin and organizing.

Can you think of ideas that help people long term? Am I making sense?

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 6:05 am
Foster parent?

Beautiful

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 7:11 am
I don't know where you live, but it sounds like working for something like the LRRC Lakewood resource and referral center may fit the bill. You would be helping individuals and families in need get access to services. In Chicago there's the Chicago Chesed Fund and in Baltimore there's Ahavas Yisroel, which fill similar needs.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 9:52 am
Beautiful wrote:
I don't know where you live, but it sounds like working for something like the LRRC Lakewood resource and referral center may fit the bill. You would be helping individuals and families in need get access to services. In Chicago there's the Chicago Chesed Fund and in Baltimore there's Ahavas Yisroel, which fill similar needs.

That’s a good idea, I’ll look into it.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

amother
Daylily

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 10:18 am
Tutoring. From what I understand, prices are so high, it’s hard for the average person to afford. If you can volunteer or charge lower rates, that would probably be a tremendous help.
Another need I see is for elder care. It’s so bewildering for people who need to set up safe environments, hire homecare aides, and the medical requirements for the elderly.

amother
DarkRed

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 10:29 am
Can you start an org that pairs teens with mentors? Not struggling teens but 'pre-stuggling': girls who maybe have a tough home life, or a learning disability, or were/are prone to bullying...
Pair them with a lady that they go to and give chessed hours/help out at the home while the (semi-trained) lady befriends them, is a listening ear
Win win- the girls feel good about helping, they have a trusted, non-judgmental adult in their lives, and the ladies have someone to help dry the dishes or watch the kids etc

This is for good, regular girls who just need a little extra tlc, not for girls that are already struggling (since finding homes for them to help in would be much harder.) As a 'regular' teen who really struggled, an informal arrangement like this really saved me

Not sure how this would work for boys, but I can see it being so needed. Maybe as assistant coaches on league teams?

amother
Brass

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 10:39 am
Pairing up parents with resources- whether a bubby to help a postpartum mom, or "where do I start getting an evaluation" with special Ed schools doing info services.

amother
Green

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 11:44 am
I like their dea someone mentioned about pairing up girls with a woman as a mentor.
If u want to go back to school there is social work or life coaching. And what about setting up singles or being a dating coach.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 1:00 pm
amother Green wrote:
I like their dea someone mentioned about pairing up girls with a woman as a mentor.
If u want to go back to school there is social work or life coaching. And what about setting up singles or being a dating coach.

So I think I’m not so good with the advice stuff like life or dating coach but would like to give something tangible. So yes, like a database of families for mentoring or where to start with getting an evaluation etc ..these speak to me.

Thank you, keep the ideas coming these are great, getting me thinking!

Refine

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 1:25 pm
Financial education/ coaching for struggling families?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics