Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Histapuk Bmuat vs enjoying the pleasures of this world

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 22 2023, 11:20 am
What's the correct balance?

Chayalle

Post Fri, Sep 22 2023, 11:21 am
It's probably different for every person, based on where they are holding.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Sep 22 2023, 1:59 pm
Why is this a contradiction? Live with less and enjoy it to the max. Like Rabbi Miller and the apple seeds. I heard he said that he didn't go to EY because he wasn't finished fully getting the max out of his corner of Brooklyn, or something like that.

zaq

Post Fri, Sep 22 2023, 3:11 pm
Maimonides: The Golden Mean.

giftedmom

Post Fri, Sep 22 2023, 3:33 pm
I think it’s the same thing essentially. If you always want more then you’re not actually enjoying what you have.
Actively shunning comfort is another thing entirely and I don’t think majority of us are on that level.

Mommyg8

Post Fri, Sep 22 2023, 3:35 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Why is this a contradiction? Live with less and enjoy it to the max. Like Rabbi Miller and the apple seeds. I heard he said that he didn't go to EY because he wasn't finished fully getting the max out of his corner of Brooklyn, or something like that.

To quote Rabbi Avigdor Miller - most of us here in America are not up to prishus so we dont need to worry about that chapter at all.

Now my own words - I believe that there are some people who are on a very high level who can live this way. But most of us cant.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Sep 22 2023, 3:52 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
To quote Rabbi Avigdor Miller - most of us here in America are not up to prishus so we dont need to worry about that chapter at all.

Now my own words - I believe that there are some people who are on a very high level who can live this way. But most of us cant.

I think histapkus b'muat has been dumbed down. I use it to mean living a more modest life; just read some of the current threads. Not figuring out how to monetize dryer lint.
There is so much we all have; everyone, and I'm thinking right now of Dr. A. J. Twerski, zt"l, says how we live better than kings of previous centuries did, with indoor plumbing, ovens, refrigerators, heat, etc., not to mention the standards of medical care. Enjoy your clothes, whether you got them full price, Junees clearance, or thrift shop. That kind of stuff.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Fri, Sep 22 2023, 3:54 pm
To me, pleasures of the world is more natural pleasures- nature, food such as produce and even food from animals, relationships.

Not necessarily luxury cars and designer clothing.

zaq

Post Fri, Sep 22 2023, 4:14 pm
Gifted mom, I disagree with your premise that avoiding all worldly pleasure is on a higher madrega. Monasticism and asceticism
are Christian and Eastern values, not Jewish ones. The Talmud tells us that after 120 we will have to account for all the permissible worldly pleasures we did not take advantage of. They are a gift from the KBH, and rejecting them is like throwing your birthday gift in your dh face. We are MEANT to enjoy them. In moderation and in an acceptable manner, of course, not for sheer animalistic gratification but as a way of showing appreciation,in many cases preceded and followed by a blessing, but enjoy them.

giftedmom

Post Fri, Sep 22 2023, 4:19 pm
zaq wrote:
Gifted mom, I disagree with your premise that avoiding all worldly pleasure is on a higher madrega. Monasticism and asceticism
are Christian and Eastern values, not Jewish ones. The Talmud tells us that after 120 we will have to account for all the permissible worldly pleasures we did not take advantage of. They are a gift from the KBH, and rejecting them is like throwing your birthday gift in your dh face. We are MEANT to enjoy them. In moderation and in an acceptable manner, of course, not for sheer animalistic gratification but as a way of showing appreciation,in many cases preceded and followed by a blessing, but enjoy them.

There were chassidish rebbes in earlier generations that would sleep with a rock instead of a pillow and fast intermittently etc. what I was saying is that we are not remotely on their level. It’s definitely a concept that previous generations had, to not enjoy yourself too much or get too comfortable so as not to forget the churban and remember that this world is only a “prozdor” a hallway to the next world.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Sep 22 2023, 4:37 pm
zaq wrote:

I think this means, did we enjoy the bracha in our lives? We don't have to invite all these pleasures into our lives, but we do have, we should enjoy.

Mommyg8

Post Fri, Sep 22 2023, 5:52 pm
zaq wrote:

Mesilas yesharim, chapter on prishus. Definitely a Jewish concept.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics