Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
What kind of warm food for kids on YK
1  2  3  4  Next

meeze

Post Sat, Sep 23 2023, 9:32 pm
What would you have on the blech to serve your kids YK ?

Examples pls

amother
Clover

Post Sat, Sep 23 2023, 9:34 pm
I’m making cholent. Also plan to have schnitzel that I’ll warm up on top of the croc pot as well as kugel.

shev143

Post Sat, Sep 23 2023, 9:35 pm
I'm making chicken and rice .
I'll also have a Mac n cheese for later in the day...and for my toddler who probably won't eat the chicken and rice.

amother
Outerspace

Post Sat, Sep 23 2023, 9:35 pm
Please ask your lor, not supposed to put up a cholent for yom kippur or serve warm food.

amother
Clover

Post Sat, Sep 23 2023, 9:36 pm
amother Outerspace wrote:
Please ask your lor, not supposed to put up a cholent for yom kippur or serve warm food.

Huh? Why ever not? I’ve been doing this for years and so have all my friends and neighbors

Ema of 5

amother Outerspace wrote:

I’ve never heard this. Is this something that everyone holds?

giftedmom

I used to put up cholent when it was on shabbos. I’ll probably stock up on cold cuts as it’s the easiest to prepare.

Moonlight

Post Sat, Sep 23 2023, 9:45 pm
Following
Thinking deli sandwiches and pasta salad

amother
Red

Post Sat, Sep 23 2023, 9:46 pm
My mother would only serve us cold food on yk. But I think itts a minhag but not halacha. You could ask your lor anyways.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Sat, Sep 23 2023, 9:47 pm
Moonlight wrote:
Following
Thinking deli sandwiches and pasta salad

Same

amother
Linen

Post Sat, Sep 23 2023, 9:56 pm
I'm planning to do cholent.

You can have hot food like a regular Shabbos.

You can't warm up liquids (the halacha for cooking is like Shabbos rather than YT), so I'm not sure how chicken on the bone would work unless it's on the blech before YK already.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Sat, Sep 23 2023, 10:04 pm
My kids often go a full day without warm food since they don't like most of our warm foods so they'll eat a normal shabbos menu. Breakfast is yogurt. Lunch is chumus with ground beef and/or plain pasta. Dinner is pasta or a sandwich. Plus lots of snacks

amother
Navyblue

Post Sat, Sep 23 2023, 10:08 pm
Can’t figure it out since my kids aren’t interested in cholent one day after the next and I don’t know what else would stay good on the hotplate from erev yk to the next day supper time. So probably cold cut sandwiches.

amother
Magnolia

Post Sat, Sep 23 2023, 10:08 pm
I've heard that you're not allowed to put up warm food for after but not that you can't put up for kids that are eating during the day.
We do deli sandwiches for the first meal and a hot cholent or yapchik for the supoer because there's nothing worse than the kids complaining that they're hungry and I find that with my kids noodles or cold food only fills up the toddler but not the bigger kids and then they're moaning that they're starving the whole night.

womanwithaplan

Post Sat, Sep 23 2023, 10:11 pm
A chicken, beef and potato stew in one crockpot and soup from my freezer in a smaller one.

amother
Forsythia

Post Sat, Sep 23 2023, 10:13 pm
Cholent

I usually do chicken & potatoes but my kids were jealous of the neighbors cholent last year..

amother
Jean

Post Sat, Sep 23 2023, 10:16 pm
amother Linen wrote:
I'm planning to do cholent.

You can have hot food like a regular Shabbos.

You can't warm up liquids (the halacha for cooking is like Shabbos rather than YT), so I'm not sure how chicken on the bone would work unless it's on the blech before YK already.

How is chicken on the bone a liquid?

amother
Jean

Post Sat, Sep 23 2023, 10:18 pm
amother Navyblue wrote:
Can’t figure it out since my kids aren’t interested in cholent one day after the next and I don’t know what else would stay good on the hotplate from erev yk to the next day supper time. So probably cold cut sandwiches.

Why can’t you put the food on the hot plate before they need to eat?

amother
Dandelion

Post Sat, Sep 23 2023, 10:18 pm
I never served warm food on Yom Kippur and there was still plenty to eat.

Morning was cereal.
Lunch- sandwiches - sometimes cold macaroni
Supper - sometimes rolls, yogurt, room temperature Lukshen cheese kugel that we eat after the fast, crackers and cheese, sliced veggies…

House always has lots of snacks for in between meals. Was never a problem that anyone was hungry.

I never heard of warm food being served on Yom Kippur until a neighbor mentioned Chulent. It is foreign to me. That could make the fast really hard to have the house smell of Chulent cooking. Never did it. No regrets.

Ema of 5

Post Sat, Sep 23 2023, 10:19 pm
amother Jean wrote:
How is chicken on the bone a liquid?

If it has a sauce, you can’t warm it up. Liquid coming out from the chicken itself is not a problem.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur