Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
What kind of warm food for kids on YK
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 12:26 am
Why not put up a hot plate ?
And warm up whatever you want for kids like Shabbos day

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 12:31 am
Why is eating sandwiches, yogurt and fruit not considered ‘real food’?

realsilver

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 12:35 am
amother Royalblue wrote:
Why not put up a hot plate ?
And warm up whatever you want for kids like Shabbos day

I'm lost, how do you warm things up on shabbos day??

amother
Hydrangea

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 12:37 am
Another one putting up Cholent . Didn’t realize so many ppl do tht , thought I had such a smart idea lol

Gt

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 12:38 am
Chulent , schnitzel for lunch
Cold cut sandwiches for supper
Lots of treats in between Smile)
I tell my kids it’s the most special and happy day of the year so you get special treats.
Reminder if your kids are old enough to bentch after bread - AFAIK people who bentch on YK say yaaaleh vyavo “Yom hakipurim “

SingALong

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 12:41 am
Cholent. Also putting in potato kugel into the oven with a pan of water on bottom rack.
Also plain pasta but I’ll take it out of fridge in the morning , and let it sit on the counter to be room temperature when the kids will want to eat.

amother
Celeste

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 12:45 am
another vote for chulent. kids nosh on it all day

Iymnok

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 1:11 am
There may be a problem with chholent on Yom Kippur.
Just because you, and all your friends and neighbors do it doesn't make it okay. Did anyone ask?
It's not a hilchos Shabbos thing. I don't remember the reasoning. There are plenty of good not hot food options to choose from.

Hatemywig

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 1:36 am
amother Violet wrote:
Interesting. I've never heard of this practice. You only eat food put up to warm before Shabbos? May I ask what the source for this is?

https://shulchanaruchharav.com.....late.

Summary: According to Shulchan Aruch Harav, any food reheated on shabbos that can leave moisture on your finger, is forbidden to reheat!

Reality

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 2:30 am
So many posters keep on saying their kids eat the cholent all day.

I hope everyone is aware of the halachos of taking food out of a hot pot on shabbos. You cannot take food from the pot when it is on the heating element.

You have to take it off the heating element. If you want to put it back because you will eat it again later, best practice is to never let go of the pot. If it's too hard, you can let go but again, not best practice.

Also, you can't change your mind. For example, your 11 year old child decides to help you and takes the pot off the heating element. If they didn't have in mind to return it, you cannot put it back.

You also can't even stir the pot or possibly even uncover it when it is on the heating element.

We all want to do the right thing, especially on Yom Kippur. Everyone should have an easy and meaningful fast!

amother
Valerian

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 2:32 am
Always do cholent, overnight kugel. My mother always did that also.
My kids also make their own yom tov meal. Kiddush, challah etc.

Reality

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 2:47 am
I forgot to add the pot must be returned to the heating element right away.

Let's say the pot is too heavy for you to hold on to and serve at the same time. So you have in mind you are putting it down but you are returning it right away. You can't do anything in between, like run upstairs to check on that thud or pick up your screaming baby etc.

The halachos are complicated. People don't realize that what they are doing isn't correct. We should all brush up on hilchos shabbos.

Again, may we all have an easy and meaningful fast.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 3:00 am
realsilver wrote:
I'm lost, how do you warm things up on shabbos day??
take things out of the fridge and put them on the plata. Things that dont have liquid are fine to be put on on shabbat.

amother
Snowflake

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 5:32 am
amother Outerspace wrote:
Please ask your lor, not supposed to put up a cholent for yom kippur or serve warm food.

Same. DH says it's מראית עין So I serve them cold cuts. Works fine/ I see (internet) that Rav Mutzafi says OK. So I guess Sefardim do. We ars Ashkenazim. I've read water on a blech -מיחם- for babies has the din of choleh

DVOM

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 6:19 am
amother Dandelion wrote:
Why is eating sandwiches, yogurt and fruit not considered ‘real food’?

It is real food!

But it isn't hot food, which (in my opinion) is a different level of nourishment.

I know my kids will settle down to and eat more of a hot meal than a cold one.

I'm putting up a chulant. A neighbor mentioned that she adds hot dogs to the chulant for a little veriety, I think I'm going to try that. We're also planning on baking today so there will be cake, practically a food group for some of my kids.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 7:00 am
My plan was to make cholent also, but I have so much leftover cholent from shabbos. Can I put a new crackpot liner and put the cholent pack in for YK? Would I need to add water to make sure it doesn't burn? Or should I make a new cholent?

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 7:46 am
Luckily my kids would rather tuna and noodles. They don't even eat cholent on shabbos.

Chayalle

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 8:03 am
I used to put up a split pea soup in my crockpot, and my kids and my neighbor's kids all used to sit there eating it by the bowlful. With croutons of course.

ETA I've heard there are those who don't do hot food, but our LOR said it's not a problem for the kids.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 8:43 am
Have leftover chullent from shabbos can I put up before yom kippor with extra water or won’t be good?

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 8:57 am
Hatemywig wrote:
https://shulchanaruchharav.com/reheating-food-on-shabbos-on-top-of-a-heat-source/#:~:text=Summary%3A,fire%2C%20Blech%20or%20electric%20plate.

Summary: According to Shulchan Aruch Harav, any food reheated on shabbos that can leave moisture on your finger, is forbidden to reheat!

That's saying you can't heat up moist foods. The other poster said they can't heat up any foods at all on Shabbos.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur