Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
RH/ Yom Kippur davening 101

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 2:11 pm
Help, it's been years since I went to shul and even when I did, I feel like I never really knew what to daven, what to skip, when to stand/sit bow etc. So embarrassed. Also, my girls are now getting bigger and I don't know how to teach them what to daven. Sad
I need a crash course

theoneandonly

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 2:12 pm
Artscroll machzor has English instructions when to stand, when to bow, etc.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 2:13 pm
The machzor tells you everything

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 3:03 pm
-When it says ark is open you are supposed to stand
-there are often peyutim that are skipped so keep that in mind if you lost the place, see if the following page is what they are saying
- many peyutim are sung all together even though it says that it will be said first congregation then chazan
- the little star shape in middle of paragraphs is usually where the chazan will start from
- during chazaras hastatz you say viyduy again

seeker

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 3:26 pm
1000% recommend the artscroll machzor with English instructions. Took away like 95% of my shul anxiety. Expect to skip all or most of the small print.

Some shuls have a thing that shows what page they're up to, you can try to find out if you have one of those locally.

Or try to sit next to someone nice and look over their shoulder for page numbers when you're unsure. Most people don't mind.

seeker

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 3:27 pm
And try not to stress out. If you're standing at the wrong time or up to the wrong page nobody is paying attention to you and G-d understands.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur