Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
So many people mechallel yom tov for my daughter…

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 25 2023, 9:04 pm
So my daughter felt unwell in shul today, very blurry Vision, sweaty, very pale etc…
It was right after someone fainted, and I think it added on to her feeling ill, but it worked in her favor since Hatzala was there.

In the end they weren’t sure after laying her down etc if she needs to break her fast, but couldn’t get a good pulse reading, her pressure was super low…
So they called backup with different machinery to determine if she needs IV or to break her fast.

I’m wondering if it wouldn’t have been less chillul yom tov had she just gotten IV or shiurim…
But I guess Hatzala knows these things better than me…

Bh in the end it went back up after laying flat with her feet up for a while….and she’s fine….I’m just wondering…

amother
DarkViolet

Post Mon, Sep 25 2023, 9:18 pm
Dont worry! Hatzola is trained. They did what they need to do. When a life is in danger, or even possibly, we don't take chances

Rappel

Post Mon, Sep 25 2023, 9:19 pm
Pikuach Nefesh is a preferred mitzvah. It's not considered being mechalel Yom tov.

amother
Canary

Post Mon, Sep 25 2023, 9:19 pm
This is why the viznitz rabbi always said about Yom Kippur take a shiur rather than being so many people mechalel Shabbos. Giving IV which causes blood is worse than breaking fast. What was done is done

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Sep 25 2023, 9:20 pm
Eating on YK is kareis, and breaking YT for medical treatment in case of possible pikuach nefesh is not an issue, so the cost benefit analysis checks out.

shirachadasha

Post Mon, Sep 25 2023, 9:44 pm
Hatzolah responders are trained in emergency care and halachos relevant to emergencies. Trust them to know how to do their jobs.

giftedmom

Post Mon, Sep 25 2023, 10:29 pm
These past few YKs I had to be mechallel YT, and others were on my/my Children’s behalf. Bh not this one. That’s what hatzalah is for.

silverlining3

Post Mon, Sep 25 2023, 11:08 pm
Hatzola surely knows!

amother
Springgreen

Post Mon, Sep 25 2023, 11:14 pm
I think you should change your title. They were not being Mechalel YT if it was for Pikuach Nefesh

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Sep 25 2023, 11:19 pm
don't wonder my friend! you did what you thought best for your daughter and hatsola did what they needed to do
that's all.
glad she's ok

amother
Lightcoral

Post Mon, Sep 25 2023, 11:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
So my daughter felt unwell in shul today, very blurry Vision, sweaty, very pale etc…
It was right after someone fainted, and I think it added on to her feeling ill, but it worked in her favor since Hatzala was there.

In the end they weren’t sure after laying her down etc if she needs to break her fast, but couldn’t get a good pulse reading, her pressure was super low…
So they called backup with different machinery to determine if she needs IV or to break her fast.

I’m wondering if it wouldn’t have been less chillul yom tov had she just gotten IV or shiurim…
But I guess Hatzala knows these things better than me…

Bh in the end it went back up after laying flat with her feet up for a while….and she’s fine….I’m just wondering…

She shouldn’t have gone to shul.
My dd and I laid in bed almost all day long.
I felt very uninspired but reading your story, it seems we did the right thing.

Chickensoupprof

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 12:45 am
Once I fainted and someone rushed to get me lemonade on YK. I had different opinions after that. Chabad rebbetzin: 'you shouldn't have drink it it is more important to fast' and a few people said 'oh happens to me every fast that I have to'.

This fast I was nursing and later I had to throw up, at the end of the fasting I was literally laying down unable to play or hold DS. My friend has sisters whose husbands at one point just begged them to eat and drink because they just couldn't move.

Rappel

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 1:06 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:
Once I fainted and someone rushed to get me lemonade on YK. I had different opinions after that. Chabad rebbetzin: 'you shouldn't have drink it it is more important to fast' and a few people said 'oh happens to me every fast that I have to'.

This fast I was nursing and later I had to throw up, at the end of the fasting I was literally laying down unable to play or hold DS. My friend has sisters whose husbands at one point just begged them to eat and drink because they just couldn't move.

You were nursing? I hope you drank!

Chickensoupprof

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 1:09 am
Rappel wrote:
You were nursing? I hope you drank!

I nursed, was laying down at the end, had to throw up but I've taken shiurim. DS was good though he seemed well fed.

Rappel

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 1:59 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:
I nursed, was laying down at the end, had to throw up but I've taken shiurim. DS was good though he seemed well fed.

Good for you for taking shiurim. And please: Take care of yourself and rest the next 2-3 days. The worst affect of a fast often comes afterwards when nursing. You may feel weak today or tomorrow, and your milk supply may dip. You need to rebuild your strength and milk now.

amother
Brass

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 2:02 am
My daughter just turned 12 and this was her 1st YK fasting.
I don't fast well and always stay home YK. She decided to stay with me rather than going to shul.
After I finished Shacharis and was about to start saying tehillim, she showed me her tongue. It was completely black! I was so, so scared...I can't even tell you. But I knew she was and I didn't want to scare her further by seeing me scared.
I debated calling the pediatrician or taking her down the block to the emergency room or googling "black tongue"
I calmed her and me down by reminding her she had just been to the pediatrician 12 days ago, right before RH and he would have noticed anything serious.
She was resting on me, and I began to say tehillim, specifically the one listed in my sefer for YK.
As I was saying it, I was reviewing different things....pediatrician appointment, she drank a juice box on Friday, candy at Shabbos party, she had an allergic reaction to something at Shabbos seudah....then I remembered on 2nd day of RH she had thrown up in the morning and we didn't go to shul. She had been feeling queasy on and off all week and the doctor advised Pepto Bismol as needed, which she had been doing all week.. She had actually taken one after Shabbos and another Erev YK. I remember telling her not go be scared if her stool turned green or black.

Could it be her tongue could turn black too?

I scrambled for the box.....and right there it says stool and/or tongue could turn black!

You can't even imagine the relief.

I told her and she was instantly reassured.

However, had I not realized this....I would have had to figure out what I was going to do.
The color looks absolutely frightening and I was so scared of maybe an infection or something

BH, we didn't get there, but I would have if we needed to so I could take care of my daughter.

Rest assured, Hatzoloh knew what they were doing. You were so lucky to have them there.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 7:52 am
amother Lightcoral wrote:
She shouldn’t have gone to shul.
My dd and I laid in bed almost all day long.
I felt very uninspired but reading your story, it seems we did the right thing.

Disagree she is a great faster with no history of anything like this, and there was no reason for her not to go.
From now on, we will take this incident into consideration!

DrMom

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 7:57 am
OP, I'm glad your daughter is well and that people had enough common sense to prioritize her health.

amother
Dill

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 8:39 am
OP my husband is in Hatzala and was the only member in our decent sized neighborhood over Yom Kippur.
He kept his keys in the car and phone in Shul, Hatzala dispatch had my number as well, to minimize chillul Yom Tov. If there is even a safeik pikuach nefesh he is OBLIGATED, not allowed to be mechallel Shabbos and Yom tov.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur