Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Do you have a hot, fleishig seudah after YK?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Do you eat a hot, fleishig meal after YK?
Yes  
 48%  [ 97 ]
No  
 45%  [ 90 ]
Other  
 5%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 198

tichellady

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 10:56 am
No. We eat very lite food so we don’t get sick. Like a piece of toast and some fruit

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 10:59 am
DH and I are MO in ideology and pretty culturally JPF.

Growing up my family never ever had fleishigs of any sort to break any fast. My parents always both wanted michigs and that's always what we had. And after Yom Kippur it was usually cold milchigs like bagels, cake, cereal, yogurt, ice cream, and fruit. Maybe a heated up pareve soup.

DH grew up eating leftovers of the (fleishig) seuda hamafsekes food, so nowadays this is what I serve. Usually it's soup, chicken, rice, and broccoli kugel. We typically don't wash after the fast.

This year I didn't make any new seuda hamafsekes food because we had Shabbos leftovers instead.

It worked out that there was only enough leftovers for one person, because DH wanted to eat it, and I wanted a milchig break-fast like those of my youth. So we each had our own thing and everyone was happy.

amother
Oleander

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 11:05 am
Hot yes, wash yes, fleishig no. Can't go fleishig after a fast, would not go well digestively for most of us.

mommyla

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 11:10 am
amother Oleander wrote:
Hot yes, wash yes, fleishig no. Can't go fleishig after a fast, would not go well digestively for most of us.

Same. We are litvish. My family and DH’s have never done a fleishig seuda, it sounds awful right after a fast! We have bread or bagels, eggs, iced coffee, etc. and some cake. Sometimes DH or DS will heat up some fleishig leftovers from before the fast later on but I can’t stomach that.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 11:11 am
I don't think it's community dependent since it's a minhag. My husband was raised yeshivish litvish we are more chilled now but we still follow his parents minhagim, including eating fleishigs after yom kippur.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 11:13 am
chasidish then and now.

growing up yes.
now not. dh says his family never had.

amother
Buttercup

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 11:14 am
We do fish.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 11:17 am
I didn't grow up with it.
Dh likes to do a proper meal, so I try if possible. I make enough food on eruv that I can just heat it up motzoi yom kippur. He's the only one who really eats it. I generally just have a bit of bread and soup.

amother
Cherry

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 11:19 am
We are Litvish, thru and thru. It is bagels, salads( tuna and vegie and lox) and soup. Never had fleishigs-

amother
Vanilla

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 11:22 am
Yes. chabad.
Made extra before the fast so we would have.
(If anyone isn’t up to fleishig, they still are encouraged to eat challah and honey. Just enough to bentch.)

I grew up this way, so did my my husband.

chili-n-cholent

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 11:23 am
Officially fleishig but nobody ends up eating too much of the last course which is leftovers from pre fast.
So really it's challah dips salad fresh baked salmon & chicken soup which was perfect and light on my stomach.
Then whoever wanted could have had the potato kugel, chicken etc from before the fast.

amother
Navyblue

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 11:27 am
I dont think Id be able to eat fleishig after fasting.
My grandmother who grew up chassidish never had fleishig. She had a cup of coffee and toast.

We have pareve. Bagels or pita and anything anyone wants to spread.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 11:56 am
We grew up having a milchic seuda. Based, I believe on the Rambam, saying that one should not eat fish before the fast in case you choked on a bone before having done teshuva. So we had fleishics to take the fast, and milchics to break the fast.

Challah and a vegetable soup, often vichyssoise.
Then a few different fish dishes, with potatoes and salads.
Milchic dessert.

My meal now is nased on the same plan, but tends to be simpler.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 12:16 pm
yes chasidish

havdala
break fast on water, cake and coffee, smoothie

this year a few hours later (yes late), washed on rewarmed challah, fish, chicken soup with kneidel, chicken turkey, and muffin. all were from the fridge or freezer from before the fast, nothing fresh. served on disposables.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 12:18 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’m so curious how common this minhag is. Please feel free to specify what your community affiliation is (chassidish, yeshivish, sefardi, MO, etc)

My husband has steak after every fast except tisha b’av, when he can’t. Usually he just grills and eats, but after Yom Kippur he washes, sets the table with shabbos dishes, etc.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 12:20 pm
gootlfriends wrote:
I grew up eating what was served. Non fleishig is for a mourning fast, not yom kippur which is a yom tov as far as I know.

What is a mourning feast? I don’t understand what you’re saying.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 12:25 pm
We have fleishigs but mostly because I don't eat milchigs and dh doesn't love it.
We had the same as before the fast.
Grilled chicken, mashed potatoes, broccoli, vegetable soup. Rolls and turkey. We all washed. Dh had grilled cutlet sandwich and I had turkey. Both had side dishes and soup.

Jfp. We always always washed after yk. Bh we both fasted well and were starving so ate fully right away as soon as food was hot.

essie14

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 12:59 pm
MO
We have bagels and salads.
I can't stomach fleishig after a fast.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 1:04 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
What is a mourning feast? I don’t understand what you’re saying.

She means a fast that's for mourning purposes like the ones we fast for the Churbon. YK is by far not a sad day, serious yes but after its a Yom Tov where we feel confident Hashem has granted us all a good year.

amother
Tealblue

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 1:06 pm
Dh has a family tradition (not minhag, there's no frum reason for it) to eat cold salmon after YK. It's very important to him and I'm fine with that. So, lots of cold baked salmon that was prepared before YK, potato salad and yoghurts for desert it is. DL/MO.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur