Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Do you have a hot, fleishig seudah after YK?
Previous  1  2  3

Do you eat a hot, fleishig meal after YK?
Yes  
 48%  [ 97 ]
No  
 45%  [ 90 ]
Other  
 5%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 198

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 1:08 pm
amother Apricot wrote:
She means a fast that's for mourning purposes like the ones we fast for the Churbon. YK is by far not a sad day, serious yes but after it’s a Yom Tov where we feel confident Hashem has granted us all a good year.

Non fleishig (meaning dairy or parve) is for like 17 Tammuz, and 9 Av, and 10 Teves? Is that what it means?

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 1:09 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
Non fleishig (meaning dairy or parve) is for like 17 Tammuz, and 9 Av, and 10 Teves? Is that what it means?

I guess what she's trying to say is that there's no need to eat a seuda then.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 1:11 pm
amother Apricot wrote:
I guess what she's trying to say is that there's no need to eat a seuda then.

Meaning no need to eat a seuda after those other fasts? But she does have a fleishig seuda after Yom Kippur? Sorry, just trying to understand!

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 1:14 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
Meaning no need to eat a seuda after those other fasts? But she does have a fleishig seuda after Yom Kippur? Sorry, just trying to understand!

Lol, I'm not her but I understood that there's no need to eat a seuda after these fasts because they are fasts for the churbon or 'mourning fasts" and after Yom Kippur we do have a seuda because it's a happy occasion

BatZion

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 1:35 pm
Oh my gosh no.
Baalei Teshuva parents through Chabad- grew up with light pareve-milky post-YK foods
My husband and I eat rolls, salad, fish/eggs.
I can't imagine eating meaty after a fast!

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 1:40 pm
JPF and no. Before the fast, yes, because it's supposed to be a yuntif seuda but I have never heard that about break-fast and traditionally meat is not considered ideal stuff for breaking a fast.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 2:00 pm
Grew up somewhat yeshivish. Ate a seuda as in washed and hot food at the dining room such as salmon, a hot pasta dish and rolls and pastries, eggs if someone wanted. But my husband and I are more chilled. We had cake soup and rolls and ate at the kitchen table. Didn’t set the table or anything.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 2:17 pm
Growing up JPF I thought that having eggs and bagels and lox was minhag yisrael. That's what everyone I knew ate post YK. I never heard of people having a fleishig seuda until I read about it here.

amother
Obsidian

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 3:28 pm
No. Toast with butter and cheese. And coffee.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 3:30 pm
I love how almost evenly split the poll results have been!

DrMom

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 5:05 pm
Basari food is too heavy for me right after a fast. We stick with halavi foods for our seudah mafseket.

csstb

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 5:38 pm
We don’t have the minhag, but we do it because it’s the best food for us after the fast.

ora_43

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 8:40 am
Israeli-American MO. Had never heard of this before the recent thread. I think it's a nice minhag but I don't think we'll be taking it on - a bowl or two of soup and some powerade is all I can do after a fast.

amother
Daisy

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 8:59 am
We do. It was my maternal grandmother's minhag (chassidish background) and my parents did, even though my Yekkish paternal grandparents never heard of it, nor did my BT in laws. But it's a lovely minhag and makes the post yom kippur evening feel like a yomtov (which it is!). Eaten on china in the dining room. We are JPF, I think.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur