Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
OMG - AMI story making fun of Imamother!!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5 10  11  12  Next

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 2:55 pm
amother Snowdrop wrote:
Yes women come here and spill their guts… to the whole World Wide Web. Most ami readers are probably on here as well. So who exactly is the someone peering over your shoulder… maybe people should not post their guts and most personal struggles on open Internet forums?

You’re right. Maybe people shouldn’t do that. As it is though women sometimes do use this as a place to share problems they have nowhere to go with.
If one single woman suffering abuse thinks twice before posting here because of this story, it wasn’t worth the humor so many other women found in it.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 7:22 pm
I am fine with satire but this is very clearly coming from a specific thread on here down to the yogurts, vegetables and diet.
It is also probably a copyright issue- the formatting of the fake site is clearly a riff off of imamother down to how the pictures near names look, OP designation, and amother colors.
That isn't ok. Too many similarities. Imagine if you were the OP of the yogurt thread?
Now, Making it a group chat? Sure.

It also makes it sound like she is crazy when maybe he isn't saying the same story. She said he is saying don't buy any yogurts vs "can we get the cheaper ones?"
It would have been better if then you saw the teenage kid or housekeeper commenting about what they saw. And it was nothing like either of the 2 stories presented!

amother
Geranium

Post Sat, Sep 30 2023, 1:26 pm
I personally think its kind of lazy - you're an author; come up with your own plot!

amother
Diamond

Post Sat, Sep 30 2023, 6:22 pm
Read this over Yom tov and couldn’t wait to check the responses (I waited just on Israel time zone/one day yt). I thought it was pretty accurate and totally related with amother jade.

amother
Yolk

Post Sat, Sep 30 2023, 7:00 pm
amother Antiquewhite wrote:
We literally had a convo that went exactly like this and yes it was about yogurt.

The convo about yogurt was someone buying for their adult child IIRC.

amother
Yolk

Post Sat, Sep 30 2023, 7:03 pm
I think people are totally missing the point.
This story wasn't about making a satire of an imamother thread. It seems the point was to show how it's impossible to understand the other side of the story from a few posts. So people need to post with more caution when it comes to delicate topics.
I strongly believe in that actually. There are too many posters who love bashing husbands and pushing divorce at every opportunity. Some seem to make it their mission on here.

bat1

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 5:49 am
yes Yolk. there are also posters here who have left the frum world and are out to destroy and corrupt our society too. also, as in every situation, people come with assumptions from their experience in life. this is classic imamother. not sharing the details, noone hears the other sides. this lady and all of imamothers should read "Marriage Secrets". trust ur dh more and anon imamothers less.
would you trust any stupid lady in the gym, why do you think anonymous ppl on the net are out for you benefit and ultimate good....
now I am the one running for cover. lol
anyway, don't think issue to publish this as anything on the net is public...

Raizle

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 9:47 am
ally wrote:

Edited to add - I think it is also this feeling of someone listening in on a conversation to use it as source material without the agreement of the participants. Of course this is the internet and should be expected but it doesn't make it right for the person doing it.

I mean.. Isn't that something you could say for all comedy. I think if you have a problem with the article then you should have a problem with all humour. It's all based on stuff, on conversations on experiences that people don't expect others to make comedies about. Everything is source material

English3

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 7:09 pm
Would you want your older teens to read this?

amother
Heather

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 7:10 pm
I read the story and I was really perturbed.

I told my husband about it and he disagreed with me.
He thought I based my opinions on this thread so I was already biased when I read the story.

I really am not.
I really didnt like the story.
Total total copy and Id feel so degraded if I was the OP.

For the ppl reading it who dont have imamother it was just plain wierd ,and for the ones like me I felt it was a breach of privacy.

I saw she put "the surrendered wife" ref in it which was comical.
But I still felt the whole thing was in poor taste and was only funny if you are actually on imamother.
I mentiones it to a few people over yomtov and no one knew what I was talking about.

amother
Opal

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 8:16 pm
There was a veiled reference to bestbubby and the covid vaccine.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 8:30 pm
I loved it. This needed to be said out loud; not to trust strangers with advice. Even If it’s your neighbor, friend, and sometimes therapist. They don’t know the whole picture.

I know a true instance on imamother exactly like the the story. the op (a close family member I knew what was going on) left all the background and details and she got the opposite advice that she needed to hear. It was very detrimental to say the least.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 8:32 pm
Agree with tan
Thought it was spot on!

amother
Cinnamon

It was in very, very poor taste. Not shocked that Ami published it, but surprised that Riva wrote it. I thought better of her.

amother
Scarlet

amother Opal wrote:

In which part?

amother
Opal

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 8:35 pm
amother Scarlet wrote:
In which part?

There was a poster whose name was. Bubby loves you or something like that. And she posted did he get the covid vaccine because I heard it changes people’s personalities. Seems obvious to me who she was referencing because best Bubby often posts her views on the covid vaccine.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 8:39 pm
The article is in extremely poor taste, it really left a bitter taste in my mouth. It's very obviously mocking imamother.
The only good part of it is the end, where we get to see the husbands part of the story.
Otherwise, it's really unprofessional and in poor taste.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 8:40 pm
amother Opal wrote:

This. It's so obvious, I'm shocked. Does the author have no shame?

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 8:41 pm
amother Opal wrote:
There was a poster whose name was. Bubby loves you or something like that. And she posted did he get the covid vaccine because I heard it changes people’s personalities. Seems obvious to me who she was referencing because best Bubby often posts her views on the covid vaccine.

I would judge her favorably.

Do you know %100 that she was FOR SURE referring to best buby?

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 8:41 pm
1) The story is hilarious. And very well done. The moral was to show how we really don't know what's really happening on the other side, we cant jump to conclusions without knowing both sides of the story.

2)I think the only error Riva made here was to make the graphics look exactly like Imamother. I'm surprised it passed muster with Ami; didn't they think there would be some backlash? It could've been made to look like a generic message board. But those of us who are members here had a good chuckle, especially at some of the in-jokes, like Best Bubby and the covid vaccine. lol!

3)Riva is absolutely not here under false pretenses. she is here with her real identity. And she did not copy/paste anything from here, she used this as inspiration for her story. Was it sloppy /lazy writing? Probably. But maybe she did not have time to come up with something else. And it was good. With a real lesson.

Friedasima used some very personal posts here to write a college thesis. That is just awful. It's nothing remotely similar to Riva using imamother threads as an idea for a story.
Also, some of you here might remember TammyTammy. Not only was TammyTammy a man, but he was here under 2 identities and replying to himself! Anyone remember that?

4) last but not least, may I use this heated topic to plug my own story that was published in Ami? It's in Ami Living, under Our Days, the first story. Enjoy!
Page 4 of 12   Previous  1  2  3  4  5 10  11  12  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room