Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Finding out you might have just been scammed $150,000
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 11:13 am
We have given a contracter all our lives savings plus taken out a home equity loan to pay for important renovations to make our house functional and from various sources I just found out today seems like this contractor is a scammer and our money is gone. First time I am seriously considering doing something to harm myself. Can’t face anyone. Thinking about not keeping yom tov. Just want to cry.
For reference we spent 10 years saving up for this.
Just a vent. Can’t admit to anyone. Staying locked in my room.

Classicookie

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 11:16 am
You paid it all upfront? Did you have a paper Or digital contract? Do you have proff of payment you can go to court don’t let someone get away with this

justforfun87

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 11:18 am
How incredibly awful news to hear before the holiday. My friend had a similar situation and was able to recoup some of the loss. There is hope. The business day is almost over today and there is nothing to do about it. Daven your heart out and contact a lawyer Monday morning.

talkaholic

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 11:19 am
Do me a favor, poor your heart out to hashem. He can do wonders. Even the impossible.... it's ok to be sad and mad and need time alone. I hope this resolves itself really soon in the most beautiful way. Keep strong

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 11:19 am
Classicookie wrote:
You paid it all upfront? Did you have a paper Or digital contract? Do you have proff of payment you can go to court don’t let someone get away with this

This isn’t all the costs of the addition, this is 50% and we have a mortgage which we didn’t take out yet that we applied for for the rest. We have a contract. We started getting suspicious as he kept asking for more funds to pay for various city permits and redrawings based on what he lied to us that the city told were required and now I just got a written notice from the city that they don’t have anything on file regarding our account. It seems he took the money and ran from word on the street.
I have been trying every number I have for him for the last 24 hours, no response at office, cell, etc.
yes we could sue but how will that help if there is no one to talk too?

amother
Daffodil

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 11:20 am
That is horrible, I am so so sorry.

amother
Honey

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 11:21 am
Just davened tbat you should get all your money back

amother
Honey

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 11:22 am
amother OP wrote:
This isn’t all the costs of the addition, this is 50% and we have a mortgage which we didn’t take out yet that we applied for for the rest. We have a contract. We started getting suspicious as he kept asking for more funds to pay for various city permits and redrawings based on what he lied to us that the city told were required and now I just got a written notice from the city that they don’t have anything on file regarding our account. It seems he took the money and ran from word on the street.
I have been trying every number I have for him for the last 24 hours, no response at office, cell, etc.
yes we could sue but how will that help if there is no one to talk too?

How did you find this contractor?

amother
Anemone

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 11:22 am
Oh my god I am so so sorry. Sending you the biggest hug. This happened to someone I know and it was awful.

You will figure out what to do after Yom tov. There are legal options. For now, there’s still a chance he will come through with the job and not scam you.

iluvy

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 11:23 am
I'm so terribly sorry. Davening for you

amother
Honey

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 11:24 am
Did he even start any of the work?

Who knew about this that couldn’t warn you before?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 11:26 am
amother Honey wrote:
How did you find this contractor?

He has been in business for years and is a legal and was a reputable contractor. We got many references. Apparently he got into debt and cowardly started taking on more customers that he didn’t have the manpower to service and then ran off with everyone’s money to go start fresh somewhere else. I have very little fact and a lot of guesswork right now, but considering that their are 3 people in my community who just publicized a lawsuit against this person as soon as they find him I assume that it’s gone. I drove down to his business, it’s locked and dark my husband drove to his home it was sold. He seems to have disappeared. He lived in my neighborhood and no one has seen him for 2 weeks, somehow this just came up now.

amother
Clover

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 11:28 am
amother OP wrote:
He has been in business for years and is a legal and was a reputable contractor. We got many references. Apparently he got into debt and cowardly started taking on more customers that he didn’t have the manpower to service and then ran off with everyone’s money to go start fresh somewhere else. I have very little fact and a lot of guesswork right now, but considering that their are 3 people in my community who just publicized a lawsuit against this person as soon as they find him I assume that it’s gone. I drove down to his business, it’s locked and dark my husband drove to his home it was sold. He seems to have disappeared. He lived in my neighborhood and no one has seen him for 2 weeks, somehow this just came up now.

Oh gosh. Terrible. I hope it's resolved in your favor.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 11:29 am
amother Honey wrote:

Yes he started the work, but not in any way that can help us. I have seen parts of the job in his warehouse and we have a huge dug out yard , but no building yet.
I wanted to start work from home and this (new office, bathroom, parking area, waiting room, etc . (And 2 bew bedrooms and bathrooms so my kids could finally spread out) was supposed to be an investment to help me see clients at home and cut my office costs, feel like the worlds biggest fool.

amother
Eggshell

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 11:29 am
Oy oy oy

Regarding permits, was he doing the filing alone or did you have an expediter?
Are you NYC? If so I can search online for you. It's public records.
I work in the industry and know the sites well. Feel free to pm me if youre in NYC.

Eta. After your updates, my help us useless. I'm so so sorry.
Going anon now.

Last edited by amother on Fri, Sep 29 2023, 11:32 am; edited 2 times in total

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 11:30 am
amother Honey wrote:

I don’t know but the red flags were starting to appear about a month ago, when he was giving us very vague answers, it was only confirmed likely today both by seeing notice of a lawsuit and when the city confirmed that the fees we paid were never received.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 11:32 am
YounginBP wrote:
Oy oy oy

Regarding permits, was he doing the filing alone or did you have an expediter?
Are you NYC? If so I can search online for you. It's public records.
I work in the industry and know the sites well. Feel free to pm me if youre in NYC.

Eta. After your updates, my help us useless. I'm so so sorry.

Not in NYC but thanks for the offer.
We confirmed that nothing was filed with the city. (Although he sent us fake approval letters 4 months ago when we gave the rest of the money)

amother
Honey

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 11:44 am
I am so angry for you.

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 11:48 am
We had such a story in my city. (Frum guy).

Scream, cry - but don't beat yourself up. You didn't do anything wrong.

amother
Almond

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 11:48 am
This is horrible, im so sorry. I really hope you will get your money back.

Is this contractor a frum person?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics