Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Baby ate water beads
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 11:37 pm
My 8 month old swallowed a few water beads. Google is full of horror stories. The dr. Said to monitor for 24 hours and see if there anre symptoms of and obstruction chv .We had plans to travel for chol hamoed but now it’s on hold.
Did anyone’s baby ever swallow water beads? What happened?

amother
Cyclamen

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 11:38 pm
I would go for an X-ray

amother
Black

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 11:41 pm
take it very seriously. monitor, get a 2nd opinion if needed

amother
Steelblue

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 11:42 pm
I personally wouldn’t wait. I’d go tot he ED. It’s quieter overnight

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 11:43 pm
amother Cyclamen wrote:
I would go for an X-ray

I was googling and they don’t show up on X-ray.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 11:43 pm
Do you know what size they grow to? There are different types.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 11:44 pm
Poison control and my dr. Said to wait 24 hours. It might just pass, not all expand so big to cause an obstruction.
I want to hear if anyone has experience with this.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 11:45 pm
Were they tiny or grown?

amother
Babypink

amother Cyclamen wrote:
I would go for an X-ray
The issue is they could expand. An xray may not show them if they are currreny small. Hopefully they will pass through and out.

amother
OP

amother Butterscotch wrote:
Do you know what size they grow to? There are different types.

I don’t know. After she ate then I put one in a cup of water to monitor how much it’s growing.
But according to my dr. the stomach acid could hinder its growth.

groisamomma

I don't have experience with water beads specifically but why wait for a problem? The pediatrician said to watch for an obstruction? Then what? The baby can't breathe? Please take your baby to the ER. Let them do the monitoring there where you can get help ch"v in an emergency.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 11:46 pm
amother Papayawhip wrote:
Were they tiny or grown?

They weren’t tiny, but not fully grown.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 11:47 pm
groisamomma wrote:
I don't have experience with water beads specifically but why wait for a problem? The pediatrician said to watch for an obstruction? Then what? The baby can't breathe? Please take your baby to the ER. Let them do the monitoring there where you can get help ch"v in an emergency.

The worry is an intestinal obstruction. As long as they are small it’s undetectable and not a problem. If they expand and can’t pass it’s the worry.

happy chick

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 11:47 pm
amother OP wrote:
I don’t know. After she ate then I put one in a cup of water to monitor how much it’s growing.
But according to my dr. the stomach acid could hinder its growth.

But you said she ate a few. She's small and her stomach isn't very large. I would take her the ER. I understand you're following Drs orders, but it's your babys health.

groisamomma

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 11:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
The worry is an intestinal obstruction. As long as they are small it’s undetectable and not a problem. If they expand and can’t pass it’s the worry.

Ouch. An intestinal obstruction can be deadly, no? I really don't mean to scare you but I wouldn't play around with it.

sweet

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 11:57 pm
And please tell me you threw the rest out!

I bought my kids water beads in the summer and threw them out the next week after hearing such a story.

gilamom

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 11:59 pm
I remember when my one year old ate water beads, the stories off of google are horrific and are probably leaving you feeling very shaken. I'm not a dr. so I can only share my own experience which is that yes, he b'h passed the water beads a couple of hours later but there were still a couple more in his pamper the next day. And yes, they did grow while in his stomach but b'h came out pretty easily, meaning he didn't seem to be in any pain. Hatzlocha, OP!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 12:04 am
sweet wrote:
And please tell me you threw the rest out!

I bought my kids water beads in the summer and threw them out the next week after hearing such a story.

Of course! The crazy thing is I didn’t buy them. My parents gave my kids a squishy toy that was filled with them. My kids cut it open and put it into a box of my babies toys…

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 12:05 am
gilamom wrote:
I remember when my one year old ate water beads, the stories off of google are horrific and are probably leaving you feeling very shaken. I'm not a dr. so I can only share my own experience which is that yes, he b'h passed the water beads a couple of hours later but there were still a couple more in his pamper the next day. And yes, they did grow while in his stomach but b'h came out pretty easily, meaning he didn't seem to be in any pain. Hatzlocha, OP!

Thank you, these are the stories I wanted to hear.
I will monitor her and hopefully they will pass… if they don’t I will go to the ER tomorrow.

amother
Moonstone

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 7:34 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you, these are the stories I wanted to hear.
I will monitor her and hopefully they will pass… if they don’t I will go to the ER tomorrow.

How’s the baby?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics