Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Wacky things you've heard this Yom Tov

scintilla

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 9:37 pm
Yom Tov is ripe with so many opportunities for "interesting" comments. The lady in shul. Your mother in law's neighbor. Let's face it - your mother in law. All have plenty to say and tact might not be in their lexicon. So let's hear them, what wacky comments have you gotten this Yom tov??

My favorite so far: after wrangling two overtired tantruming toddlers for the better part of an hour (during the seuda, everyone was outside but the kids were loud enough that they were clearly audible from outside) I finally emerged to the sukkah with a plate of food and my husband went inside to take a turn with the kids. As soon as I sat down my mother in law turns to me and says "oh, when does [DH] get to sit and eat peacefully?"

I couldn't help but laugh, it was too ridiculous to get upset! A mother's love I suppose LOL

Let's hear yours!

amother
Foxglove

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 9:51 pm
My sil said she hasn't seen mustard in years, after asking her if her daughter has a dress for mine to borrow for the big family photo shoot that we're having. This was after I told her that my older son was wearing mustard for the shoot Smile I answered back, I guess we'll be old fashioned then! Wink

scintilla

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 10:06 pm
amother Foxglove wrote:
My sil said she hasn't seen mustard in years, after asking her if her daughter has a dress for mine to borrow for the big family photo shoot that we're having. This was after I told her that my older son was wearing mustard for the shoot Smile I answered back, I guess we'll be old fashioned then! Wink

I thought you meant the condiment at first Very Happy my son is also wearing mustard this year lol.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 10:21 pm
My sister thinks I'm a neglectful and abusive parent and going to cause my DD to have an eating disorder because she came over and my daughter ate 3 chicken thighs and I didn't stop her (I don't limit healthy foods, only candy and junk)

She's also telling other people in the extended family about my terrible parenting and letting my children be gluttons

This sister has been very open about her struggles with anorexia and claims she is fine and recovered now but clearly isn't.

I feel bad for her but don't appreciate her organizing other siblings to do an "intervention" over the stupid chicken thighs.

amother
DarkRed

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 10:53 pm
My dad is in the hospital and not very coherent. So they keep asking him questions to see if he knows where he is.
question: Where are you?
Answer: HERE
Question: Where is here?
Answer: Hospital
Question: What is your goal today in the hospital?
Answer: ESCAPE!

amother
DarkViolet

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 11:57 pm
My mil was all upset that my baby was cranky when it was past his bedtime, and we wanted to leave earlier than the others to get him to bed. She said “well that’s what happens when your baby is so scheduled!” With a negative connotation. As in I don’t believe in having a baby so scheduled because then he’ll be cranky past his bedtime

amother
Freesia

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 2:04 pm
amother Lilac wrote:
My sister thinks I'm a neglectful and abusive parent and going to cause my DD to have an eating disorder because she came over and my daughter ate 3 chicken thighs and I didn't stop her (I don't limit healthy foods, only candy and junk)

She's also telling other people in the extended family about my terrible parenting and letting my children be gluttons

This sister has been very open about her struggles with anorexia and claims she is fine and recovered now but clearly isn't.

I feel bad for her but don't appreciate her organizing other siblings to do an "intervention" over the stupid chicken thighs.

Omggg that is insanity... I hope your dd isnt aware that any of this is happening

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 2:13 pm
amother DarkRed wrote:
My dad is in the hospital and not very coherent. So they keep asking him questions to see if he knows where he is.
question: Where are you?
Answer: HERE
Question: Where is here?
Answer: Hospital
Question: What is your goal today in the hospital?
Answer: ESCAPE!

Your Dad has a great sense of humor.

amother
DarkRed

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 3:47 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
Your Dad has a great sense of humor.

When asked if he knew who the president of the United states is, he answered "unfortunately ".

Another time he said "Biden. Yemach shemo".
He may not always be coherent, but he still has his sense of humor bh.

out-of-towner

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 3:52 pm
amother DarkRed wrote:
When asked if he knew who the president of the United states is, he answered "unfortunately ".

An uncle of mine, who has since passed away, once told me "my sense of humor is the only sense I still have!"

amother
Yarrow

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 4:18 pm
Whenever I have a cognitive evaluation I tell them not to ask me who any politicians are because I won't know. Just ask me what day of the week it is, where I am and why am I there. Also don't ask me to count backwards from 100 by sevens because I was never good at arithmetic. But you can ask me to name seven things that start with the letter g.

amother
Carnation

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 4:23 pm
amother DarkRed wrote:

I like him. your dad is awesome.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 1:54 pm
amother Freesia wrote:
Omggg that is insanity... I hope your dd isnt aware that any of this is happening

I don't think she is

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 6:24 pm
MIL ate by us and informed us that she's coming again this week. There's only 1 problem. We have too much food. She doesn't want to see any dips on the table; we should only have one food for the main course (she prefers meatloaf, but is happy with roast too, and how could I give my kids frank n blanks- they're so unhealthy), and nobody should have more than half a matzah ball. I understand that MIL is still getting used to diabetes, but I didn't think my whole family has to follow her diet.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette