Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
I write for frum magazines AMA
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Broom

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 11:48 pm
Has anyone ever put together all your different pen names and realized it's you?

Were your books under your real name?

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 11:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
Great question! Over the years I've learned which articles work for me. I won't take an article that requires so many hours of research. I've get paid extra for interviews which was a precondition of me continuing to write feature articles for magazines. I'm also a quick writer by nature. Also, as I've honed my craft I've learned to overcome writer's block. It's my job - I gotta do it!

By now a feature article will net me about $450-$500 and usually takes me about 3.5 hours start to finish. My goal is $150 per hour. The challenge is burnout. I can't write for 5 hours straight - my brain starts to hurt. That's why this isn't my full time job.

That's impressively quick!

What is the average word count of the feature articles? How do you come up with ideas for topics?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 11:58 pm
amother Ecru wrote:
That's impressively quick!

What is the average word count of the feature articles? How do you come up with ideas for topics?

2,000-2,500 words.

I'm a thinker, by nature.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 11:58 pm
amother Topaz wrote:
Not to derail, but can you share which course?

I'm amother denim on this thread: https://www.imamother.com/foru.....63598

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 12:09 am
amother OP wrote:
2,000-2,500 words.

I'm a thinker, by nature.

So around 8 - 10 pages double spaced? Yes that is fast, or I'm super slow lol

Do these features have sources, do they include research?

Thanks for responding!

seeker

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 12:13 am
I have written for magazines but don't anymore because I'm more painstaking and the pay didn't justify the kind of time I take. I have also done some editing work for magazines. And reading, though not usually with a nitpicky eye, it's a leisure activity.

Different publications have different audiences and styles so if your writing varies then you'll want to spread it around. Other writers, generally specializing in nonfiction, take a steady job doing features and repeating columns for one publication.

I don't know many other writers in person but based on output I don't think there's a general trend toward modern/ liberal at all. Probably depends which magazines you're reading though.

Per word rates are generally 12 cents. Most places will still start by offering 10. If you have a little guts and backbone you can get better deals. In my writing days 10c was the firm standard but I would say things like I have a minimum of $150 so if they want a 1000 word piece then I'll still get 150 (they can take it or leave it. Part of negotiating is being ready to walk away.) You especially have leverage if you're doing it for them and not you - if they want a specific person interviewed then I am charging for the extra time that takes, if they want a topic covered quickly then I'm charging for the rush (the inconvenience of other things I put off...)

I don't know how long ago or which magazines you stopped reading because of typos but I can think of only one of my regular reads that still has this problem. Yeeeers ago when the genre was newer it was terrible. There will always be some sneaking in but not usually a crazy amount. I blame it on volume. The sheer amount of text these companies churn out is mind boggling. There's like a gazillion words per issue with new ones every week. If a handful of typos get in, it's still a teeny tiny percentage of the whole. It's not like the Wall Street Journal never has errors.

seeker

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 12:14 am
Whoops I just realized I had this tab open from a while ago and the thread grew to 3 pages while I was answering the first few posts. Oh well, it was fun sharing. Carry on.

seeker

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 12:21 am
amother Silver wrote:
It's not just manpower. IMO it's the editors and proofreaders thinking it's enough to have a knack for it but not being trained properly so not knowing all the rules. I recently became a proofreader after taking a comprehensive course, and I cringe when I find mistakes that other proofreaders for the publications I work for missed. I did a second layer recently on some articles in a popular Yom tov magazine, meaning it had already been proofread, and I was horrified to find that the proofreader had not corrected some gregarious errors. In addition to knowing grammatical rules (which, by the way, can change and update over the years so the rules should be brushed up on), a good proofreader should always be double-checking spelling in the dictionary and the content for inconsistencies.

As a serious editor but casual social media user, I try to avoid responding to errors in people's posts. But given the judgy tone here, I'm loving the irony of the gregarious errors.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 12:23 am
Do you have a set time for writing every day?
And do you have a separate set time for what I call, “the business side of writing” - dealing with emails or editors etc…?

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 12:31 am
amother Silver wrote:
It's not just manpower. IMO it's the editors and proofreaders thinking it's enough to have a knack for it but not being trained properly so not knowing all the rules. I recently became a proofreader after taking a comprehensive course, and I cringe when I find mistakes that other proofreaders for the publications I work for missed. I did a second layer recently on some articles in a popular Yom tov magazine, meaning it had already been proofread, and I was horrified to find that the proofreader had not corrected some gregarious errors. In addition to knowing grammatical rules (which, by the way, can change and update over the years so the rules should be brushed up on), a good proofreader should always be double-checking spelling in the dictionary and the content for inconsistencies.

I think this is kind of circular reasoning, no? I stated that the more eyes review something, the more likely that more errors will be caught. It sounds like your role is to serve as that last pair of eyes so certainly, you will catch mistakes that the first proofreaders missed.

When I worked as (the sole) in-house copyeditor, my system was to read the manuscripts multiple times, each time focused on searching for one type of error. I was constantly appalled at myself for how many new mistakes I caught with each reading.

And yes, style manuals sat on a shelf above my desk for constant reference.

seeker

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 12:39 am
amother OP wrote:
That really is the only way. As frustrating as that might sound. Magazines are always looking for good writers. Once they find them, they try their best to hold onto them.

Just saying I disagree that it's the only way. Much like resumes do better when submitted with a cover letter and best when submitted through someone the employer already knows, an unsolicited piece of writing probably doesn't get as much attention as one that comes with a compelling introduction, preferably by someone with an in.

My first real magazine writing job, which led to others, I got by writing a carefully crafted email that included a feature idea, why I thought it was a great fit for their audience, what makes me particularly qualified to cover that topic, and some subtopics that I would include. I linked or attached a sample of something short I'd written elsewhere so they could get a feel for my style. They accepted my pitch, I wrote the article, and presumably they liked it because they later offered me another one (actually I don't remember, I may have sent another pitch or two before they started reaching out to me first.)

I didn't know anyone in the magazine at that time, but later when I already had a relationship with them, I helped another writer get in by recommending her - obviously only after I saw her writing quality. I'm not going to stick my neck out for someone who might not live up to my endorsement. But if they like my writing and consider me to be a discerning contributor, then it carries weight if I tell my editor to pay attention to this submission because it's great.

By all means go ahead and keep submitting, but if there's anything you can do to promote yourself then do it. Also consider asking for feedback on your rejections. Many won't have time to provide any but some people might be nice and steer you in the right direction. Get a little shmoozy in your submission emails.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 1:05 am
amother OP wrote:
Great question! Over the years I've learned which articles work for me. I won't take an article that requires so many hours of research. I've get paid extra for interviews which was a precondition of me continuing to write feature articles for magazines. I'm also a quick writer by nature. Also, as I've honed my craft I've learned to overcome writer's block. It's my job - I gotta do it!

By now a feature article will net me about $450-$500 and usually takes me about 3.5 hours start to finish. My goal is $150 per hour. The challenge is burnout. I can't write for 5 hours straight - my brain starts to hurt. That's why this isn't my full time job.

I'm also curious what the rates are for fiction, both in the magazine and yom tov supplements.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 8:15 am
amother Ecru wrote:
I'm also curious what the rates are for fiction, both in the magazine and yom tov supplements.

They are the same. I get paid betweem 12 and 15 cents per word. For a typical story supplement story I get paid about 550.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 8:17 am
amother Sienna wrote:
Do you have a set time for writing every day?
And do you have a separate set time for what I call, “the business side of writing” - dealing with emails or editors etc…?

No. I'm a more spontaneous person so that would restrict me
This also isn't my full time job which means I have to find the time to write...even though I can write many pieces per week.

For the business side...sometimes I wish I had a secretary!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 8:18 am
amother Ecru wrote:
So around 8 - 10 pages double spaced? Yes that is fast, or I'm super slow lol

Do these features have sources, do they include research?

Thanks for responding!

I'm fast bh. If not I would stop writing.

rdmom

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 8:43 am
Omg. I would love to know who you are. I used to work at one of the three popular magazines and worked with some writers very closely. I wonder if any of you writers are one of them.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 9:10 am
rdmom wrote:
Omg. I would love to know who you are. I used to work at one of the three popular magazines and worked with some writers very closely. I wonder if any of you writers are one of them.

Which magazine?

amother
Banana

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 9:18 am
do you have an office? do you write anywhere?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 9:19 am
amother Banana wrote:
do you have an office? do you write anywhere?

My best writing is done....on my living room couch. I'm not joking. Don't have an office right now but would like to have one soon. I do a lot of writing late at night and early morning so would have to be a home office that we don't have space for. If I went into this more full time I would set myself up in a better way.

amother
Buttercup

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 10:28 am
amother OP wrote:
I think feature articles have to be discussed and approved by editors in advance. If you have a great idea or topic, submit an outline!

Wht does outline look like?
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics