Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Frum womens sizing

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 7:15 pm
can we talk abt this?

I dont know if its just me, but shopping lately has been a frustrating and depressing experience. I'll even take some of the blame; im a well-endowed woman and I have a couple extra pounds to lose, but im not obese. im like a non-jewish L /jewish XL/ size 12ish.
lately though ive encountered skirts that dont go up past mid-thigh, tops with ridiculously tight arms, and dresses that I dont even bother with after putting in 1 arm cause I fear getting stuck inside forever.

but ive been trying on the XLs, and something wasnt making sense, so I recently did some sleuthing in the stores and would compare the XLs to the same piece of clothing in a XS. and lo and behold, ive seen that theres often barely a few inches of a difference between what should be wildly different sizes.
just today I was comparing the waists of a dress in an XS and a XL, and there was a 2 inch difference! I remember seeing the same thing with a skirt last year, the XL was just over an inch bigger than the XS. I recently ordered a skirt that was a size 12. right when I took it out of the bag I saw it wasnt gonna fit, and I gave it to a friend who is a size 6/8, and even on her it just barely closed. a 12!!! Twisted Evil
ive tried on what looked like a loose, flowy dress, and thought great, a cute oversized dress, this should fit. spoiler alert; it didnt. an oversized dress! thats literally supposed to be loose! and baggy! and big! and even with that the designer was like hmm no, you can only wear this if youre built like a plank of wood. aargh.
I dread the summer just cuz of the clothes. in the winter at least I can throw on an oversized sweater and look cute, but the tight tshirts and denim skirts of the summer are the bane of my existence.
I always wonder what women bigger than me do, because if im barely fitting into XLs I dont know what theyre doing. thoughts and prayers.

can jewish companies not afford to splurge on an extra few inches of material? where in the stick figure fashion industry do they get their sizings? have they ever seen an actual woman with curves?

if theres anyone on here that owns a womens fashion line, please enlighten us all.
or if you just wanna kvetch, this is a safe space.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 7:22 pm
Just an fyi some frum places go according to european sizing. So a size 12 is a size 8. But frum fashion is def not plus size friendly!
I also think it depends where you are ordering from.

lamplighter

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 7:25 pm
Two words: Chinese sizing.

amother
Mintcream

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 7:27 pm
lamplighter wrote:
Two words: Chinese sizing.

Most companies are not using Chinese sizing. They are using European sizing. The only ones using Chinese are basement stores who are reselling ali stuff.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics