Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
I'm a young mom in grad school AMA
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 12:30 am
Lol since there's so many random ones, I figured I might as well join too.

I won't feel offended if it's not gonna be a busy thread.

amother
Buttercup

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 12:33 am
Do your kids go to the babysitter when you are in school/internship?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 2:52 pm
As expected I ended up getting super busy and forgot about this thread.
I'm back. Very Happy

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 2:54 pm
amother Buttercup wrote:
Do your kids go to the babysitter when you are in school/internship?

I'm super lucky and grateful. My parents live in the same city as me and bring the kids to school and pick them up and stay with them till I get home. My schedule is very different every semester so if I'm ever available in the morning or afternoon, I don't ask for their help.

I'll be honest, I would not have been able to do grad school with kids without my parents helping with the kids.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 2:55 pm
What are you in school for? Does you DH pitch in a lot?
Whats your workload/caseload like?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 3:02 pm
amother Red wrote:
What are you in school for? Does you DH pitch in a lot?
Whats your workload/caseload like?

I'm in school for occupational therapy.

DH pitches in by being the sole provider at the moment. But he comes home at like 7:30pm earliest so sometimes the kids are ready for bed by the time he comes home.
But when he is home he tries to be active. He helps with supper and bedtime whenever applicable.
He's super exhausted all the time so I end up doing most of the household work. (Not curable sleep disorder)
But if I ask with something specific he will try if he's not too tired, like a load of laundry or wash the dishes.

Every semester is different but I have a long commute so it adds to my schedule every day.
I'm in class Monday through Thursday most semesters. The program is a little over 3 years.
Constant assignments, tests... It's a difficult program, 7 people dropped out already because they failed.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 3:38 pm
Did you plan before having a kid how you would make it work? Did you discuss with your parents that you’d need so much help from them?

How much do you expect to earn when you graduate?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 4:29 pm
amother Gray wrote:
Did you plan before having a kid how you would make it work? Did you discuss with your parents that you’d need so much help from them?

How much do you expect to earn when you graduate?

Good questions.
I got married young and no one told me BC was an option before having kids. I only know this a few years later but it's too late. We were basically young and naive. It was the standard to get married and have a few kids... (Now I'm on BC BH at least till I'm done grad school)
My parents can't help financially but they were emotionally supportive since the beginning and my mother said she would help with childcare. I would have sent the kids to a day care when they were babies if I had to but my mother was a SAHM and she can't imagine babies being sent out so young... So she kind of did it to calm herself down, but I honestly appreciate it because she is an amazing caring person so I know they're in good hands. It's also the first grandkids so all the attention is on them.

In terms of money... I honestly thought OTs get paid more. Everyone told me it's a flexible job and earns a lot of money, perfect for a frum mother. Now that I'm almost done I see it's basically one or the other. Or none. But I'm still passionate about OT and I'm too far in to switch.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 4:51 pm
Can I ask you about your program? DD will be applying this coming fall.
Are you in a Masters or Doctorate program, as the doctorate is not required yet, but is expected to be by 2025.
Would you recommend your program?

amother
Hibiscus

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 4:53 pm
I’m with you in this OP
Fellow OT student here with kids

amother
Hibiscus

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 4:54 pm
From the details you are posting we are not in the same class Wink

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 4:59 pm
amother Pink wrote:
Can I ask you about your program? DD will be applying this coming fall.
Are you in a Masters or Doctorate program, as the doctorate is not required yet, but is expected to be by 2025.
Would you recommend your program?

Are you sure a doctorate will be required? I didn't hear about that but I may be wrong.
I'm actually in a BS/MS program but I did finish my BA before applying.
I'm not in a Jewish college but every class has a few Jewish girls. And the professors are understanding thankfully.
I would recommend my program if you're comfortable going to a non Jewish program.
It sounds like most OT schools are similar.
Hatzlacha to your daughter!!!
Which schools is she thinking of?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 4:59 pm
amother Hibiscus wrote:
From the details you are posting we are not in the same class Wink

I'm the only one with kids in my class.
But so cool to see others like me.
No one in my class gets what it's like.

Are you in a Jewish program?

amother
Gladiolus

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 7:26 pm
Hi OP I am married to a PT who started school when we had one child and one on the way and I was expecting my 3rd right before he graduated. He has a doctorate and his program was very hard and really not easy to do even as a man who was not taking the main responsibility with the kids. Throw in Covid and it was a disastor learning PT over zoom! He is a pretty bright guy and almost failed out of one or two classes (can't get below an 80 I think). His school had an OT program and he always said they were much easier on the OT students and the PT students always had more class, more demands etc. I wonder if it is the same in your school? What made you chose PT over OT?
What field do you hope to work in?

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 8:55 pm
I’m going back for my masters and am sooo nervous! It’s all online tho which is nice/
What is the going rate for OT?

amother
Cappuccino

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 9:43 pm
Good luck! It sounds like you have a great support network! I did PA school and it was hard with kids and married life!

amother
Molasses

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 9:46 pm
How do you manage??? I am in grad school and got married in the summer (in middle of the program but between semesters). There's an endless amount of studying, housework, cooking, etc. that has to be done. It's just so hard to balance it all. I feel so incompetent because I don't even have kids yet!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 12:07 am
amother Gladiolus wrote:
Hi OP I am married to a PT who started school when we had one child and one on the way and I was expecting my 3rd right before he graduated. He has a doctorate and his program was very hard and really not easy to do even as a man who was not taking the main responsibility with the kids. Throw in Covid and it was a disastor learning PT over zoom! He is a pretty bright guy and almost failed out of one or two classes (can't get below an 80 I think). His school had an OT program and he always said they were much easier on the OT students and the PT students always had more class, more demands etc. I wonder if it is the same in your school? What made you chose PT over OT?
What field do you hope to work in?

Wow good for you! Being a spouse of a grad student is very hard too!
My best friend is a PT and I think it's such a cool field.
To be honest, part of the reason I chose OT vs PT is because I really didn't want to take chem 2 and physics 2. One of each of those was enough. And it's apparently a harder program. But also I got to observe a few OT clinics and loved what I saw. I can see myself doing that more than PT.
Just curious. Did he go to Touro? You don't have to answer. My friend went there and it's funny, She said the OT class looked like a Bais Yakov because most of the students were frum girls.

I might end up doing something in pediatrics mostly because most of my life I have been working with kids. And I do love it.
But I'm open to trying something different. Maybe outpatient rehab. Maybe hospital but not too sure.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 12:09 am
amother Tan wrote:
I’m going back for my masters and am sooo nervous! It’s all online tho which is nice/

You're going for OT? They have online options?

Honestly I think you'll get a better answer about pay from a current OT because while I'm still in school I'm not seeing the real world yet.
Also, since my program isn't Jewish, the path that our professors talk about isn't one I'll be taking so it's not relevant to me anyway. Random example: travel OT is such a cool idea but not realistic for a frum mother.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 12:10 am
amother Tan wrote:

Oh and Hatzlacha with the schooling!!!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics