Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Vent! Not doing laundry does NOT add to my simchat YT
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 9:54 am
I special don’t buy my kids 5 outfits to last the yom tov because I want an excuse to wash. I can’t handle the mess I’m adhd.

As someone mentioned the Halacha was made so people don’t say “chol hamoed is my day off let me do all the chores I never have time for” (bills, gardening home improvement writing, laundry) It’s all in the same spirit of taking it easy.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 10:03 am
amother Seagreen wrote:
Did I do a big aveira by washing all my laundry?? I hate having a full hamper and clothes lying all over makes me anxious

I did laundry too. I forgot that we aren’t supposed to. But I also work in healthcare and don’t have enough scrubs for all weeek…

ora_43

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 11:10 am
amother Jetblack wrote:
I did laundry too. I forgot that we aren’t supposed to. But I also work in healthcare and don’t have enough scrubs for all weeek…

Scrubs is the example given in Peninei halacha of something it's fine to wash Smile

BH Yom Yom

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 11:11 am
I completely agree with you OP!

Reality

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 11:26 am
OP, ask a shailah. I was told kids clothes and underwear and socks are allowed to be washed. I was told I do not have to pick through the laundry basket. If there's socks and underwear that need to be washed I can do the whole load.

amother
Moccasin

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 12:14 pm
amother Hyacinth wrote:
Same here. My husband hates that I do laundry. But each kid can easily need 3 outfits over the course of 2 day yom tov. So I should buy 6 outfits per kid?

Meanwhile my DH's white shirts are all stained and stink like sweat but he refuses to wash them (and he refuses to buy more because he is very stingy about buying himself clothes).

I try to do it when he is not home so he wont drive me crazy

Tell your husband that it's also written somewhere that we have to show a kiddush Hashem which means dressing clean and smelling nice. If he doesn't want you to wash on chol hamoed he should buy enough shirts to last at least a week.
If he is stingy you can say It will also save in the long term on water. You won't have to keep washing 4 shirts but rather one load each week.

giftedmom

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 12:18 pm
Kids clothes are allowed and I was told I can add other clothes to those loads

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 3:42 pm
I don't have little kids at home anymore and I dislike the big loads of laundry waiting for after yomtov. no, I don't specifically need anyting washed but I still don't like it.

I figure it;s building character to see them and not give in to washing. for the record, it's the day before hoshana raba and I just filled the machine to wash right after yomtov.

amother
Chambray

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 3:55 pm
We wash for kids and add anything we need for yom tov
Never heard of adding for after yom tov
Where can I get a heter for this?

amother
NeonOrange

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 4:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
Midnight would be a dream. Think 3 am

I really think the Rebbeyim need to revisit this. I don not believe it is specifically deorita.

This also goes along with the invention of dental floss and what you can eat at Shabbos lunch when you are going to the Mikva 8 hours later!

I don’t keep this. I’m frum and orthodox but I also don’t have really that many clothes so I guess it also falls into the category of necessity most times. For my mental health absolutely would not keep all the laundry for after YT. Absolutely agree that pushing a button on the machine is nothing remotely close to washing clothes in a stream or otherwise (which is, by the way, horribly hard work)

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 4:04 pm
We wash kids clothing, and bras. I haven't ever asked about linen, dish towels etc, so maybe it is allowed, not sure.

My Rav said we cannot throw our items in unless it's something that will get ruined (stain will sit) with the kids stuff.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 4:14 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
I did my kids clothes. My cleaning lady asked me if she can do some laundry, I told her whatever she wants.

I just don’t tell my cleaning lady anything . She does what she wants .

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 5:36 pm
Due any day. I’m doing laundry as regular. My kids need clothing, towels need to be fresh, I didn’t even stop to think about it…

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 5:43 pm
amother OP wrote:

I really think the Rebbeyim need to revisit this. I don not believe it is specifically deorita.

This also goes along with the invention of dental floss and what you can eat at Shabbos lunch when you are going to the Mikva 8 hours later!

OP, you are 💯 percent allowed to eat meat on shabboa before mikva. I'm so sorry you didn't learn that

Crookshanks

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 6:44 pm
I wash my own laundry. I don't have enough clothes for second days of YT and I'm not rewearing my clothes.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 6:53 pm
I hope everyone who is doing laundry has asked a shailah. It’s not about simchas Yom Tov or how anyone feels. This is a halacha (same as any other halacha).

amother
DarkOrange

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 7:06 pm
amother OP wrote:

I think my Kallah teacher said that if mikva is motzie shabos your allowed to eat meat on shabos.
Aylor but I'm almost positive.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 7:09 pm
Anyone working isru chag so laundry has to wait till after 5 Monday?

tweety1

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 7:13 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I have a high capacity machine. I tell everyone I know to get the biggest washer they sell. Its reduced a lot of my stress since we upgraded.

So do I. But for the time being its making me resent yt. I have a small laundry room. My hampers are full now everything is going on the floor. I despise it like crazy. I wash what I must have but it can't be folded. It's a disaster

farm

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 7:15 pm
OP are you me? I rant about this every Succos and Pesach (include tonight during supper. Hi dear sisters and SIL’s 👋). The overflowing hampers most definitely detract from my simchas yom tov Sad
Clean fresh laundry and empty hampers give me endless joy.
Oh well
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics