Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Vent! Not doing laundry does NOT add to my simchat YT
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 10:49 am
I understand how maybe people don’t want to be forced to clean and do laundry. I understand that rubbing clothing on rocks in a stream was hard work. I’m sorry, but not being able to push a button on a machine is ridiculous. My house is a mess with mound of laundry that don’t fit anywhere, I don’t have the clothes I want and need, and after YT I’m going to pay dearly. All which is making me resentful.

mha3484

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 10:54 am
I literally looked at the motzei yomtov time and mentally calculated how many loads of laundry can I do without going to bed at midnight. If my kids had school Monday I would cry. AND I have a laundry chute so its not sitting around in front of my face all week.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 10:56 am
mha3484 wrote:
I literally looked at the motzei yomtov time and mentally calculated how many loads of laundry can I do without going to bed at midnight. If my kids had school Monday I would cry. AND I have a laundry chute so it’s not sitting around in front of my face all week.

Midnight would be a dream. Think 3 am

I really think the Rebbeyim need to revisit this. I don not believe it is specifically deorita.

This also goes along with the invention of dental floss and what you can eat at Shabbos lunch when you are going to the Mikva 8 hours later!

mha3484

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 10:57 am
I have a high capacity machine. I tell everyone I know to get the biggest washer they sell. Its reduced a lot of my stress since we upgraded.

amother
Lightblue

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 11:16 am
I did wash laundry, mostly because I'm not rich enough for my kids to own enough shabbos clothes to last them all the days of y"t, and also because like you said, pushing a button on a machine isnt hard work but fixing my mental health of all the piles of laundry IS hard work and I'm not up to fixing that.

If the men would be the ones doing laundry, this would be changed as fast as it takes us to blink.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 11:19 am
Did I do a big aveira by washing all my laundry?? I hate having a full hamper and clothes lying all over makes me anxious

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 11:19 am
It’s not because it detracts from simchas yontif, it’s because of the melacha involved
That being said, my housekeeper did all my kids loads and towel and tablecloth loads. I just told her not to do mine

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 11:20 am
I wonder the same. I asked my husband if laundry is prohibited in the nine days bec it brings us joy then how is it prohibited in chol hamoed bec it brings us distress? I end up doing all the laundry bec I don’t have enough clothing, towels, table cloths etc to last ten days. It’s just not workable

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 11:25 am
I do laundry.
If I need it.
If my baby needs it. I couldn't possibly have enough clothes for some of my kids...

No. I won't buy new. I don't have the money and it is harder work for me to drive to a store, buy something, bring home, return because it doesn't fit...

ora_43

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 11:27 am
AFAIK it's not prohibited because prohibiting it brings us joy. It's prohibited in order to force people to wash their clothes before chag l'kvod chag, and IIRC also because of the melacha involved.

That's why it's allowed to wash eg towels, dish towels, and little kids' clothing (at least, according to my community's shita). And things like underwear and undershirts that are needed for the moed. Because it's not about avoiding laundry completely, it's about preparing outerwear before chag + not doing unnecessary work on chag.

ora_43

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 11:30 am
For me it's a little easier, knowing the issue is kedushat hamoed. It makes it a natural part of the post-holiday process. Each chag has its preparation (shopping, cooking, building a sukkah) and its post-chag closing duties (flipping the kitchen back after pesach, taking down the sukkah, washing tons of laundry).

I'm not saying I like it (although there's a certain satisfaction after washing 10 loads in 24 hours). But thinking of it as a natural part of chag makes it easier. YMMV.

(I'll admit I also might be following a more lenient set of rules than some others. I have a huge laundry pile waiting but also have done a few loads of things that per my shita are less/not problematic)

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 11:44 am
I do laundry. I don’t have the money to have this many clothes and I’m not wearing clothes that smell of sweat. Kavod habrios is important too.

My husband doesn’t like it but I don’t care.

Brit in Israel

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 11:59 am
From what I learnt growing up and in a very frum community together with what our Rav says now, You are allowed to do childrens clothes.
I asked our Rav on Pesach if it's only what I need for during YT or if I am doing a wash can I put it all in and he said no problem. You only can't do if nothing in the machine is needed for chol hamoed or 2nd days.

Check with your Rav what you can do for the coming years.

mha3484

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 12:01 pm
I wash clothing for my younger kids for yomtov/shabbos and I did towels last night but if its not needed until after yomtov it waits so will still have a lot to do after even if I do some during the week.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 12:10 pm
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
I do laundry. I don’t have the money to have this many clothes and I’m not wearing clothes that smell of sweat. Kavod habrios is important too.

My husband doesn’t like it but I don’t care.

Same here. My husband hates that I do laundry. But each kid can easily need 3 outfits over the course of 2 day yom tov. So I should buy 6 outfits per kid?

Meanwhile my DH's white shirts are all stained and stink like sweat but he refuses to wash them (and he refuses to buy more because he is very stingy about buying himself clothes).

I try to do it when he is not home so he wont drive me crazy

zaq

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 12:35 pm
I totally understand you, but that's not how halacha works. It's a heck of a lot easier to take an elevator than to climb the stairs, yet on Shabbat we climb. It's way easier to drive half a mile to shul, yet on Shabbat we walk. I don't pretend to understand why this is so and I don't necessarily buy all the "reasons" our teachers spouted, but as an Orthodox Jew I follow halacha. If I didn't, I'd be something else.

At the same time, I've learned to ask shailas and not rely on what my next-door neighbor "knows." I'm more often amazed at what is permitted than amazed at what is not. From the time I was eight and a visitor the same age informed me in a rather sanctimonious manner that "you're not allowed to wear a ring on the third finger of your left hand because that's where the wedding ring goes"--and she must have been right because she came all the way from Boro Park and her family was very, very frum--I have learned to be leery of what lay people tell me and to ask my rav. MY rav, not anyone else's.

Last edited by zaq on Thu, Oct 05 2023, 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 12:39 pm
amother Goldenrod wrote:
It’s not because it detracts from simchas yontif, it’s because of the melacha involved
That being said, my housekeeper did all my kids loads and towel and tablecloth loads. I just told her not to do mine

I did my kids clothes. My cleaning lady asked me if she can do some laundry, I told her whatever she wants.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 12:45 pm
I left my laundry for my cleaning lady to do , I don’t tell her, she does it automatically. Unfortunately she left over some laundry that included my kids dirty yom tov clothes that they need for the second days.
So I just dumped the whole bag in and it had some of my tights and clothes too but I probably need those things too.
Hashem isn’t a severe or restrictive g-d people. I don’t think he cares if some of my things were inside or wanted me to take out my things from the kids once I was pressing the button anyways.

amother
PlumPink

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 12:45 pm
Speak to your rav. I was told I can get wash kids clothes and towels.
Saves me so much heartache.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 12:46 pm
My cleaning lady did. I hold we can do kids clothes, towels, etc. If it's needed for yt we can also do. We also hold you can add to loads.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics