Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Att Chassidish/ Heimish imas

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 10 2023, 12:27 pm
Can you please post your healthy (whole wheat/spelt/ honey-no sugar) challah recipe?
I’m specifically lookin for the yummy challah the heimish know how to make

amother
Milk

Post Tue, Oct 10 2023, 2:16 pm
I got this recipe from a friend. It’s got a lot of steps but if you follow it exactly, the challa comes out fluffy, crispy and delicious. I recommend baking it challa pans for optimal shape and crispness.

Ingredients:

5 tablespoons dry yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
4 1/3 cups lukewarm water
1 cup oil
18 1/2 cups spelt flour
1 cup honey
2 tablespoons salt
2 eggs
Everything challa topping
1 egg for brushing
Oil spray

*In a med medium bowl, combine yeast, sugar and lukewarm water. Let it sit 3 to 5 minutes till bubbly.

* Add 10 cups flour to machine then slowly pour in the yeast mixture. Mix, first at low speed, then higher until the batter is sticky.

*Add 8 1/2 cups flour, then salt on top of that, making sure it’s not touching the yeast mixture.

* Add oil, eggs, and honey and mix for five minutes. Dough should be sticky and in one piece.

* Let the dough rise 10 to 15 minutes in the machine then remix it for 1 to 2 minutes.

* Place dough in a big bowl, covered with plastic and a towel. Let it rise for 40 minutes to an hour, not more.

* Take challa. Amen!!!

*Braid the dough and place in oiled pans. Let it rise another 20 to 30 minutes. Give it an egg wash and top with everything spice.

* DO NOT PREHEAT OVEN. (This makes it rise and get super fluffy, with a gorgeous dark crust)

* Place pans in a low rack in the oven, then turn it to 450F for 10 minutes.

*After 10 minutes lower the oven to 350 and continue baking for 35-45 minutes, depending on your oven.

*Lokovod Shabbos Kodesh!!!!!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 10 2023, 7:51 pm
Bump

dotart

Post Tue, Oct 10 2023, 7:57 pm
Can this recipe be done by hand?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 10 2023, 8:22 pm
amother Milk wrote:
I got this recipe from a friend. It’s got a lot of steps but if you follow it exactly, the challa comes out fluffy, crispy and delicious. I recommend baking it challa pans for optimal shape and crispness.

Ingredients:

5 tablespoons dry yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
4 1/3 cups lukewarm water
1 cup oil
18 1/2 cups spelt flour
1 cup honey
2 tablespoons salt
2 eggs
Everything challa topping
1 egg for brushing
Oil spray

*In a med medium bowl, combine yeast, sugar and lukewarm water. Let it sit 3 to 5 minutes till bubbly.

* Add 10 cups flour to machine then slowly pour in the yeast mixture. Mix, first at low speed, then higher until the batter is sticky.

*Add 8 1/2 cups flour, then salt on top of that, making sure it’s not touching the yeast mixture.

* Add oil, eggs, and honey and mix for five minutes. Dough should be sticky and in one piece.

* Let the dough rise 10 to 15 minutes in the machine then remix it for 1 to 2 minutes.

* Place dough in a big bowl, covered with plastic and a towel. Let it rise for 40 minutes to an hour, not more.

* Take challa. Amen!!!

*Braid the dough and place in oiled pans. Let it rise another 20 to 30 minutes. Give it an egg wash and top with everything spice.

* DO NOT PREHEAT OVEN. (This makes it rise and get super fluffy, with a gorgeous dark crust)

* Place pans in a low rack in the oven, then turn it to 450F for 10 minutes.

*After 10 minutes lower the oven to 350 and continue baking for 35-45 minutes, depending on your oven.

*Lokovod Shabbos Kodesh!!!!!

And thank you for your recipe! I know it took a long time to type out…. Just looking for something a bit simpler. Thank you!

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Oct 10 2023, 9:11 pm
5 lbs white spelt flour
4 Tablespoons dry yeast
3 + 3/4 cups warm water
2/3 cups honey
2/3 cup oil (use healthier version)
3 eggs
2 Tablespoons salt (use sea salt (redmond not fake costco)

Let dry yeast bubble in half of the warm water (add drop of sugar (honey won't do the job) if the yeast needs help activating.

mix with little flour then rest mixture for 2 minutes then add the honey, oil and eggs and mix again. rest dough for another few minutes then add flour and water alternating. do it slowly. add the salt somewhere in the middle.
mix well.
Let dough rise for 1 hour or so and braid as usual. let it rise and bake as usual.

I've been making this the past 7 years or so with great results. the brand of the flour matters....

Can be made by hand but obviously this is much harder.
hope this helps

amother
Zinnia

Post Wed, Oct 11 2023, 10:43 am
https://www.kosher.com/recipe/.....11515

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Oct 11 2023, 8:54 pm
amother Orange wrote:
5 lbs white spelt flour
4 Tablespoons dry yeast
3 + 3/4 cups warm water
2/3 cups honey
3 eggs

Let dry yeast bubble in half of the warm water (add drop of sugar (honey won't do the job) if the yeast needs help activating.

mix with little flour then rest mixture for 2 minutes then add the honey, oil and eggs and mix again. rest dough for another few minutes then add flour and water alternating. do it slowly. add the salt somewhere in the middle.
mix well.
Let dough rise for 1 hour or so and braid as usual. let it rise and bake as usual.

I've been making this the past 7 years or so with great results. the brand of the flour matters....

hope this helps

Which brand do you like best and least for challa?

Want to compare with my findings

Surrendered

Post Wed, Oct 11 2023, 9:19 pm
Yummy tasty spelt challos:

4 TBS yeast, diluted in 2 Oz lukewarm water and drop sugar.
4 eggs
6 cups water
4 tsp salt
1 cup honey
1 cup oil

Delicious!!!

pause

Post Wed, Oct 11 2023, 9:21 pm
Surrendered wrote:
Yummy tasty spelt challos:

4 TBS yeast, diluted in 2 Oz lukewarm water and drop sugar.
4 eggs
6 cups water
4 tsp salt
1 cup honey
1 cup oil

Delicious!!!

For how many pounds of flour is this?

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 9:05 pm
amother Orange wrote:
5 lbs white spelt flour
4 Tablespoons dry yeast
3 + 3/4 cups warm water
2/3 cups honey
3 eggs

mix well.

hope this helps

I want to try this. First time making challah.

Too many as usuals...
2nd time rising- also an hour?
What temp and and baking time?

Motherhood

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 9:08 pm
6 lbs flour
4 tbsp dry yeast
5 3/4 c warm water
3 tbsp salt
1 c oil
2/3 c honey
2 eggs+2yolks

Mix yeast with 6 cups flour, then add rest of ingredients until smooth. Once it’s smooth, slowly add remaining flour.

Perrys

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 9:15 pm
Does anyone make theirs without eggs?

Hello99

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 9:41 pm
I like the grain brain spelt kamut challah. I make the recipe on the back of the bag and follow the rising/baking instructions.

Motherhood

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 11:35 pm
Perrys wrote:
Does anyone make theirs without eggs?

Yes. At the moment I bake my challahs without eggs. My baby is allergic, so I just omit it and it tastes delicious anyway. It might take bit longer to rise, though

amother
Chambray

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 6:58 am
5 pounds white spelt flour
3 eggs separated (egg whites I use)
1 whole egg
2 tablespoons salt
1 cup oil
1 (or 1 &1/2) cup honey
3 oz fresh yeast
3 Cups seltzer (soda water)
1 cup hot water

I mix in separate bowl the seltzer, water, yeast and some honey and then I add it to the flour salt eggs oil and the rest of honey.

Mix for 10 minutes.

Cover it- Let rise, braid and let rise again to at least double the size. Put in oven on 400 for 20 to 25 minutes
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics