Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Repeat Kindergarten Boys
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 21 2023, 10:29 pm
I may need to repeat my son for kindergarten. He's a borderline birthday.
It's hard to know now, but I want to touch base with a Morah, just in case.
Any recommendations?
Please only positive feedback :-)

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 21 2023, 11:20 pm
Bumping up

amother
Cognac

Post Sat, Oct 21 2023, 11:24 pm
I went to rochel Elbaz in raintree for repeating, she’s fantastic!

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 21 2023, 11:25 pm
Thank you! I've heard of her.
A few other names I got:
Baila Schwartz
Malky Schwartz
Suri Nojowitz

amother
Strawberry

Post Sat, Oct 21 2023, 11:58 pm
I don't live in Lakewood, but my son was a borderline birthday. I had him repeat 4s (if that's what you call kindergarten). It was the best thing we could do for him. He needed one more year to be a goofy kid. One more year without homework. One more year of mostly play. He's now almost 19 and in Beis Medresh. He's been the top (academically) for most of his life. He needed that one more year to give him the boost to excel.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 12:00 am
I went to zeva Krieger foundation and they met my son to decide if he’s ready for school or not. They are excellent they spoke to his morah and observed him in the classroom

amother
Chambray

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 12:34 am
One thing to keep in mind with borderline birthdays especially for boys is that its not just what they are ready for now, holding them back means that they have another year of cognitive maturity when starting mishanyos and gemara and they are a year older when they have to leave at the crack of dawn for minyan bus and stay in school much later. It was the greatest gift I gave my child!

amother
Diamond

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 12:37 am
My son was a borderline birthday and he repeated nursery. So happy that I did that for him

amother
Watermelon

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 1:25 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you! I've heard of her.
A few other names I got:
Baila Schwartz
Malky Schwartz
Suri Nojowitz

When is your son’s birthday? How ‘cutoff’ is it?

We made the last minute decision to repeat our son’s kindergarten. Totally can relate that it can be really difficult to know what to do. We agonized and spoke to many people…

We sent to Malkee Schwartz. Her program is so incredible that we truly feel that it was worth holding back just for him to have such an enriching and memorable year .

amother
Caramel

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 1:46 am
I wouldn’t suggest it. I would focus on seeing what strengths and weaknesses he has and have him focus on the weaknesses (another term for this learning style that worked for me I think is called Montessori learning style).

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 2:39 am
if he is completely on par or ahead in everything, not just learning, but social too then don't repeat. if behind in either area, repeat. we repeated my son in K and I'm happy we did. I rem stressing about it but it was a good thing. Its better for boys to be on the top end of everything, size, sports, learning and it gives them an advantage being older.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 7:59 am
amother Watermelon wrote:
When is your son’s birthday? How ‘cutoff’ is it?

We made the last minute decision to repeat our son’s kindergarten. Totally can relate that it can be really difficult to know what to do. We agonized and spoke to many people…

We sent to Malkee Schwartz. Her program is so incredible that we truly feel that it was worth holding back just for him to have such an enriching and memorable year .

Do you have Malkee Schwartz's number?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 8:02 am
The school my boys go to says they evaluate the borderline birthdays (from September 1st to December 31st) after Pesach. They decide if the boy is ready for primary.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 8:42 am
Do you already have a school? Some schools like to take the boys younger. If there are many boys around the same age, it might be fine. My son is in the cheder. They like to take the boys young and they make the classes by birthday. Ds's birthday is mid October and he's not at all the youngest in his class. If he had been going to another school, I may have opted to hold him back but since I knew he was going there, I felt it would be ok for him. Bh I don't regret my decision.

keym

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 8:45 am
If you have a school already (meaning older boys), I would plan for both scenarios.
Sign him up for both primary and kindergarten and then decide Pesach time. The Ziva Krieger foundation is a great resource

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 8:50 am
I have a school already, BH, for my older boys.
I'm trying to plan for both scenarios.

amother
Caramel

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 9:46 am
amother OP wrote:
The school my boys go to says they evaluate the borderline birthdays (from September 1st to December 31st) after Pesach. They decide if the boy is ready for primary.

Oh, so a November birthday is still considered borderline? I thought they push back all kids no matter how smart they are, according to state?

Last edited by amother on Sun, Oct 22 2023, 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 9:51 am
In many Lakewood schools it's like this.
I wish there was a definite cut off.
I think it would make it less confusing on parents.

amother
Caramel

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 9:53 am
amother OP wrote:
In many Lakewood schools it's like this.
I wish there was a definite cut off.
I think it would make it less confusing on parents.

Do you know if it’s the same in baltimore?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 9:58 am
I have no idea
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries