Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
I live in Gateshead England. AMA
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Winterberry

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 1:59 pm
I think the idea is that gateshead is a small community that lives within a small area surrounded by neighbors that aren't that great. It's unique in the amount of yeshivos and sems within its town as well. It always was traditionally one community led by one rav. That wasn't to say there weren't many other great rabbonim in gateshead, but there was the one rav. Most other towns are multiple communities.
It's still the only place I know that if you say you're going to shul, there's only one place that is SHUL. All others are called by the name of the shul.
It is a special community, oh for the days where there was only one kosher shop. They still have a monopoly on the meat and milk so that the community can sustain itself.
I have to say that I really like the new mikva. I don't live in gateshead myself, I just have family there and I had to go to mikva recently when we were staying in gateshead and it was wow.

amother
Zinnia

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 2:05 pm
Wow, It’s so nice to see others here have a connection to Gateshead! I went to old Sem and loved it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 2:10 pm
It's mostly a litvish kehilla, but there's a shtieble & a sefardi shul as well.
You can live your own life in that their are no crazy rules, like u don't have to wear only a white shirt, push a certain type of buggy or be in full time learning to feel a part of town or get your kids into school, yet it's united as a Kehilla. This means that there's a certain level of tznius & technology use and the like which people are expected to adhere to, but there no 'police'.
We have 2 boys schools, from early years up to yeshiva & a few yeshivas where OOT boys & in towners learn together.
There's one girls nursery, primary school & high school.
We have 2 large sems, a few yeshivos & many kollellim.
The food & clothes shopping situ, depends where you're coming from! Those who grew up here think it's great compared to how it was, others, not so much! But it's come a long way & we're mostly independant.
A lot of mothers work but plenty don't & both are very accepted. Very few work full time.
As for the spirit of the place, how to describe? Can someone help me?

amother
Zinnia

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 2:12 pm
OP, do they still have separate boys and girls hours in Steinhouse?

amother
Tuberose

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 2:17 pm
Quote:
You can live your own life in that their are no crazy rules, like u don't have to wear only a white shirt, push a certain type of buggy or be in full time learning to feel a part of town or get your kids into school, yet it's united as a Kehilla. This means that there's a certain level of tznius & technology use and the like which people are expected to adhere to, but there no 'police'.

Are they strict or ontop of things like womens lace tops/having some hair exposed?
Internet at home? Smartphones?

I was in sem there for just over a year but I dont feel like I really got a feel for the place.

I had no family to go to or any place to feel at home.
I mainly stayed in sem.

I feel like Iv only ever heard all this talk about gateshead being a shtetl etc but there are so many different walks of life there.

amother
Zinnia

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 2:17 pm
amother OP wrote:
It's mostly a litvish kehilla, but there's a shtieble & a sefardi shul as well.
We have 2 boys schools, from early years up to yeshiva & a few yeshivas where OOT boys & in towners learn together.
There's one girls nursery, primary school & high school.
We have 2 large sems, a few yeshivos & many kollellim.
The food & clothes shopping situ, depends where you're coming from! Those who grew up here think it's great compared to how it was, others, not so much! But it's come a long way & we're mostly independant.
A lot of mothers work but plenty don't & both are very accepted. Very few work full time.
As for the spirit of the place, how to describe? Can someone help me?

From my experience, there is nothing quite like it elsewhere. It feels like an old time shtetl with daily life very much surrounded around yidishkeit. (Although It may be different now). Very cozy feeling. I agree OP it’s hard to describe!

Busybee5

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 2:39 pm
amother Winterberry wrote:
I think the idea is that gateshead is a small community that lives within a small area surrounded by neighbors that aren't that great. It's unique in the amount of yeshivos and sems within its town as well. It always was traditionally one community led by one rav. That wasn't to say there weren't many other great rabbonim in gateshead, but there was the one rav. Most other towns are multiple communities.
It's still the only place I know that if you say you're going to shul, there's only one place that is SHUL. All others are called by the name of the shul.
It is a special community, oh for the days where there was only one kosher shop. They still have a monopoly on the meat and milk so that the community can sustain itself.
I have to say that I really like the new mikva. I don't live in gateshead myself, I just have family there and I had to go to mikva recently when we were staying in gateshead and it was wow.

And the new simcha hall is absolutely beautiful. Loved the indoor Chupa. Stunning!

Busybee5

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 2:45 pm
amother Zinnia wrote:
OP, do they still have separate boys and girls hours in Steinhouse?

Oh here is an embarrassing story.
I once by mistake went shopping during boys hours, and I bumped into Mr. Thurs Helping, and he told me off! I don't remember exactly what he said, but something like 'you shouldn't be here now, it's boys time' I said 'oops, I'm sorry' Left my basket and left!

I'm pretty sure they still have separate hours. How does it work for men and women though? Can they go whenever, and it's just for the sem girls and yeshiva boys?

Busybee5

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 2:47 pm
amother Obsidian wrote:
How can you compare it to Yerushalayim 😲

Yeah true, very exaggerated. But its a special town, with a lot of learning, and learned people.
I was zocher to have Rabbi Falk teach me. And Rebbe Sternbuch...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 2:53 pm
Tuberose, many sem girls find it difficult to get a feel, especially if you dont hang out at families. Many students eat out for Shab meals, but with 600 families and 2,000 sem girls & bochurim we're limited. and noone invites girls if they have bochurim at home & vice versa.
Girls do get involved in other ways tho, they have teaching jobs & help set up the chasuna dinners.
Yes there are separate shopping times for boys & girls.

amother
Winterberry

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 2:54 pm
Busybee5 wrote:
Oh here is an embarrassing story.
I once by mistake went shopping during boys hours, and I bumped into Mr. Thurs Helping, and he told me off! I don't remember exactly what he said, but something like 'you shouldn't be here now, it's boys time' I said 'oops, I'm sorry' Left my basket and left!

I'm pretty sure they still have separate hours. How does it work for men and women though? Can they go whenever, and it's just for the sem girls and yeshiva boys?

The separate hours are only for sem girls/yeshiva bochurim. Families living in gateshead don't need to keep to it.
And for those of you horrified at the idea of separate hours, it's actually quite practical. The 2 kosher shops are quite small and several hundred sem girls and probably closer to a thousand yeshiva bochurim, it makes sense to have them come at different times.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 3:33 pm
Those who didn't grow up in Gateshead but live here now, what du like most about it?

amother
Quince

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 4:14 pm
I went to sem in Gateshead and have family there. It’s definitely a unique town and I loved my time there, anyone know why they only sell Wednesday buns on Wednesday? LOL

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 4:26 pm
Because it's Wednesday!! Can't sell Wed buns on a tuesday!!
Guess it's so we know what day it is Laugh.
So if u walk along Coatsworth at 8.45 am & see Stenhouse full of mechina boys at the cake counter u know it's Wednesday!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 4:28 pm
Same with marzipan cakes (S cakes), if Stenhouse full of bochurim u know it's Friday Laugh .

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 4:30 pm
And no pittanor pittas on monday & friday.

Busybee5

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 12:41 am
amother OP wrote:
Same with marzipan cakes (S cakes), if Stenhouse full of bochurim u know it's Friday Laugh .

Yum! Love those marzipan cakes. I need to come just to get one. Would I need to be there on a Friday for that cake? That's unlikely 😆

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 6:50 am
Just speak to Yanky or Abel, they'll make you marzipan cake any day u wish!
I know someone from Nottingham who orders a tea loaf every time they come, they have fam here.

Was just reading the Stamford Hill thread, seeing the range of clothes shops I can see why people fint the shopping situ difficult here.

Housing situation is easy here compared to other towns in England. Majority own or planning to buy a house. 4 bedroom house under 200K, 5/6 bedroom house 250K. Jewish owned houses are pricier. Houses prices on the general market are kept down with a system not allowing people to outbid each other.

Busybee5

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 8:08 am
amother OP wrote:
Just speak to Yanky or Abel, they'll make you marzipan cake any day u wish!
I know someone from Nottingham who orders a tea loaf every time they come, they have fam here.

Was just reading the Stamford Hill thread, seeing the range of clothes shops I can see why people fint the shopping situ difficult here.

Housing situation is easy here compared to other towns in England. Majority own or planning to buy a house. 4 bedroom house under 200K, 5/6 bedroom house 250K. Jewish owned houses are pricier. Houses prices on the general market are kept down with a system not allowing people to outbid each other.

Thanks! That's interesting, is the family from Nottingham Jewish? They used to sell the matzipan cakes here in Manchester but I haven't seen them for a while.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 8:35 am
Yes, a jewish elderly couple from Nottingham.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics